Friedman: The Leafs are very interested in Tyler Motte. Might take a top 40 pick for Canucks to move him.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I’d personally be fine with a 2nd round pick in general… doesn’t have to be top 40. Or even a 3rd + prospect. Keep in mind motte only makes $1.225M

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Frank Vatrano nets a 4th round pick, and Tyler Motte is supposed to get a top 40 pick....

We can argue back and forth on who is the better player, I personally would say Motte is the better player. But that is the market for a player of Motte's caliber. He is not exponentially better than Vatrano.

this trade should dampen the expectation of a Motte return IMO

Motte is closer to a Goodrow type player than Vatrano. Goodrow had an extra year on his contract when he returned a 1st round pick from Tampa, which is why a 2nd might make sense for Motte. You can always point to different precedent to show what a player should return, but really it's just up to the GMs and how much a team wants the player. I think a mid/late 2nd for Motte (maybe with some retention) is fair value.

Feb 19, 2018
Ya I think that is reasonable.

I'd be shocked if anyone paid a top 40 pick for him personally. So if they are in fact firm on that, he likely sticks around. He's a solid player, and he likely would have been dealt by now if the price tag was reasonable.
I honestly think he ends up in Tampa for their 1st this year. He did show off his skill for them this year when he scored on Vasi between the legs roof! They always go for these types for a playoff run, they also usually win the cup too.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I honestly think he ends up in Tampa for their 1st this year. He did show off his skill for them this year when he scored on Vasi between the legs roof! They always go for these types for a playoff run, they also usually win the cup too.
Going by the market right now I’d be shocked if we got a 1st for motte, even a 2nd could be a stretch . Maybe if he had term. But not for a straight up bottom 6 UFA.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

If I'm Tampa, I pay that type of price for Crouse instead (on pace for 26 goals and 45 points while hitting like crazy). Doubt Tampa pays it for Motte unless we send back a 2nd/3rd round pick or something.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Motte is closer to a Goodrow type player than Vatrano. Goodrow had an extra year on his contract when he returned a 1st round pick from Tampa, which is why a 2nd might make sense for Motte. You can always point to different precedent to show what a player should return, but really it's just up to the GMs and how much a team wants the player. I think a mid/late 2nd for Motte (maybe with some retention) is fair value.
Ya I mean, it really all depends on where the Canucks see themselves, and if they more importantly see Motte as part of their long term vision. I'm not a fan of the Canucks, but I do watch a decent amount of them on TV and in person. They are an exciting team, but they are really getting exceptional goaltending. That's been the main reason they are even in a discussion for playoffs IMO. Even with the improved play since the Budreau hiring.

Playoffs are fine and dandy, but will they make a dent? Look at Daryl Sutter's recent comments about being the WC team out of the pacific. I am not sure he is entirely wrong in saying that.

I guess time will tell. I just am not sure holding valuable assets that could walk away for nothing fits into the long term vision of the club. Maybe that's just my take, and by no means am I suggesting the Canucks to sell him for nothing, but a 3rd round pick seems more than reasonable for an expiring contract, and in all honesty its still a slight overpayment.

again, they can keep him and attempt to resign him. I just feel like Rutherford gave a fairly clear message about his team not being where they need to be about 1.5 months ago, and that they needed to make deals to improve their chances long term in hopes to have sustained success. I am not sure their recent run of strong play has changed his mind into thinking this team is worthy of making a dent if/when they make it to the playoffs. I personally think there is a lot of posturing coming out of the VAN camp. They came out as massive sellers publicly in the media about a month ago. All are available except Petey, Demko, and Hughes. Now they are trying to raise prices after the fact.

It seems like everyday there is some tweet coming out of Vancouver media about this team or that team being interested in "player X". Which I am sure is valid to some degree, but there is clearly some intent to letting media run with these rumors.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Might be a 2nd and Liljegren from the Leafs. Maybe a 1st, unless Toronto tries using that 1st towards a very good player to add onto their roster.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Might be a 2nd and Liljegren from the Leafs. Maybe a 1st, unless Toronto tries using that 1st towards a very good player to add onto their roster.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you, we're trading an ELC RHD for a UFA 4th line winger who's career high in points is the same amount that Liljegren has as a rookie in 43 games with no PP time.

And then we're adding a 1st to that.

Are you ok man?

Feb 19, 2018
Going by the market right now I’d be shocked if we got a 1st for motte, even a 2nd could be a stretch . Maybe if he had term. But not for a straight up bottom 6 UFA.
Look at what Motte is making this year. He’s not a 3 million dollar player like he plays as. $1.25 million is the selling point.

Feb 19, 2018
If I'm Tampa, I pay that type of price for Crouse instead (on pace for 26 goals and 45 points while hitting like crazy). Doubt Tampa pays it for Motte unless we send back a 2nd/3rd round pick or something.
Yeah I could see us adding a pick to make that happen. Probably a 4th or somethin.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Motte is being overrated a little bit here. He might be worth a high second round or a low first round pick at the best. I don't see multiple assets for Motte. He's a really valuable utility player with high compete and really good play, and if his contract wasn't up I'd want him to stay. But he's not offensively anything more than a bottom six player.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Motte is being overrated a little bit here. He might be worth a high second round or a low first round pick at the best. I don't see multiple assets for Motte. He's a really valuable utility player with high compete and really good play, and if his contract wasn't up I'd want him to stay. But he's not offensively anything more than a bottom six player.

A 1sst? Seriously? I mean I know there is motre to hockey than goals and points if you giving up a 1st for a forward that forward should probably be capable of 20 goals Tyler Motte doesn't screaming 1st round pick.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
A 1sst? Seriously? I mean I know there is motre to hockey than goals and points if you giving up a 1st for a forward that forward should probably be capable of 20 goals Tyler Motte doesn't screaming 1st round pick.

At the very least you'd hope he would be able to outscore a "B prospect" rookie D.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Just to make sure I'm understanding you, we're trading an ELC RHD for a UFA 4th line winger who's career high in points is the same amount that Liljegren has as a rookie in 43 games with no PP time.

And then we're adding a 1st to that.

Are you ok man?

Did I say 1st and 2nd?

I meant 2nd, or a 1st instead.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I said “might” “at best” meaning it’s unlikely to happen unless a team bends over. Did you not read the post?

Last edited:

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Why would they be targeting Motte when Nick Paul plays in their division?

If you're dropping a top 40 pick on a rental, Nick Paul is the significantly more impactful player.

You know, I can always tell a person who does not watch the Canucks when there are statements like this............

But it is even funnier, when you watch Nick Paul and can't see the difference............

Nick Paul............$1,350,000...................11 goals 7 assists 18 pts -18
Tyler Motte........$1,225,000................... 7 goals 8 assists 15 pts +5

One is not like the other...........................but you go ahead and believe what you want.

I am not in any way saying Motte has the value of a 1st, certainly not a 1st and Liljegren, but he is worth a mid to late 2nd.

Some one suggested Knies..........I would take that or the 2nd

Guys, you do not have to believe me, but Motte is a good bottom 6 player.

Reactions: Cogburn

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You know, I can always tell a person who does not watch the Canucks when there are statements like this............

But it is even funnier, when you watch Nick Paul and can't see the difference............

Nick Paul............$1,350,000...................11 goals 7 assists 18 pts -18
Tyler Motte........$1,225,000................... 7 goals 8 assists 15 pts +5

One is not like the other...........................but you go ahead and believe what you want.

I am not in any way saying Motte has the value of a 1st, certainly not a 1st and Liljegren, but he is worth a mid to late 2nd.

Some one suggested Knies..........I would take that or the 2nd

Guys, you do not have to believe me, but Motte is a good bottom 6 player.
You're using +/- to differentiate the two of them? You do realize that Paul plays higher in the lineup on a much weaker offensive team, right?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1