Post-Game Talk: the Leafs are undefeated, and we won the shootout. no the world is not ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Very few + players tonight but Ranger was one of them and played 22 minutes. I think people are just being overly critical

He bobbled the puck a bunch in the defensive zone. Sometimes he'd recover, sometimes he didn't. Fortunately, none of them resulted in goals, but they came close many times.

Plus/minus stats in isolation don't tell the full story, much as most stats don't.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
I love that Johnny B Goode was able to come in and seal the deal for us. Bit i also feel bad for Reims, he did not get much help from his D coughFransoncough tonight.

Bolland and Raymond are working out well, JVR and Phil are always creating. Reilly looked alright, some slipups but first game home opener will do that to ya.

Go Leafs...... 3-0 baby!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not enough Rielly talk in this thread.

That is the best pro debut by a Leaf prospect I've ever seen.

I find it telling that despite some mistakes he made - Randy was tossing him out there, on the ice on the beginning of overtime, his RUSH(es). holy crap this kid is good.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Very few + players tonight but Ranger was one of them and played 22 minutes. I think people are just being overly critical

And he came within an inch of the game winner in OT.
He's still been a mountain of suck for 3 games now, he better improve fast.

nc

Jul 25, 2010
The game against Colorado will be tough. They are a different team this year with Roy behind the bench than they were last year.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
What the hell is up with the 640, how come leafs talk isn't on, and yet they have it in their schedule, but they have coast to coast on. WTF? :thumbd:

mikebel111*

Great debut by rielly. Made a few great rushes. So excited about him and this team

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
JVR is a beast ... can't believe this guy is only making 4.25 million for the next FIVE seasons

#thankyouholmgren

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
All other fans besides you guys will trash me, but I really think the Leafs are a top 4 team in the eastern conference.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Peter Parker tells J. Jonah Jameson that Karlsson is a Norris trophy winner

j-jonah-jameson-laughing-o_zps5589c93c.gif

:laugh::handclap:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Can we discuss kessel? Best player on the ice tonight.

His skating was absolutely terrific tonight. Loved his breakout speed, he made Karlsson look like a pylon.

Also very nice to see Gardiner and Rielly take liberties with the puck through the neutral zone, we'll have to get used to that before too long, I think.

Phaneuf was awesome, looked really steady and had a couple nice rushes himself.

SteveV*

JVR is a beast ... can't believe this guy is only making 4.25 million for the next FIVE seasons

#thankyouholmgren

Funny, when we got him the rap was injury prone with the big ticket and term.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
once reilly is comfortable w/ the way how things work, this kid will be a stud. love his play,not so much to his partner...that #4 guy sucked a big load today.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

#thankyouholmgren

this makes me such a happy panda.
(but boy is he going to cash in in five years LOL)

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
What a game.

It was turnovers galore out there for both teams. I really hate it when a goalie gets pulled from the game and they keep the camera on him for a long time while he just sits on the bench. I'm sure he's beating himself up over his performance, I don't want to see him look so sad on the bench. Not a good game by Reimer but he'll have plenty more games to give a bounce back performance. I'm not worried about him.

Bernier was awesome. Came in and made some difficult stops to keep the score at 4-2 which gave the Leafs opportunity to climb back in the game. Of course he was great in the shootout and had some help with the goals from the shooters (it's been a long ass time since we've seen this team win a shootout).

Raymond and Bolland...the way they play together has been a treat to watch. Franson struggled but got better as the game went on. Rielly looked impressive. Had some defensive hiccups but made some smart plays with the puck, took the body at times and the way he could move up the ice with the puck on his stick is a treat to watch. He looks like Gardiner in that regard. This kid could be a real treat to watch for years to come...especially if a game like that is just scratching the surface. Loved them showing the reacting of his parents in their seats. And not related to the game but Rielly looks exactly like his father.

It was great to see Kessel and JVR get going as the game went on. The Leafs are finding ways to stick around in games even when they're down a goal or two. I think having players like Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, etc...these are all guys that can play like crap for an entire game and then come out with an awesome play that all of a sudden finds the back of the net.

And if anyone has a .gif of Bernier's skate 'dance' after the shootout win...please post it! Got a good laugh out of that.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Disclaimer: I missed the first half of the 1st period.

Phaneuf had an absolute BEAST of a game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Karlsson was sooo bad tonight. He doesn't seem to play very well against the leafs for some reason?

It's a shame voters solely look at offensive stats for voting the Norris, Karlsson looked like a pylon tonight against the Leafs. Possible the most overrated player in the NHL. He's good offensively, but defensively he's far from being mentioned on par with Chara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad