LeBrun: "The Leafs are phoning around looking at defensemen on PTOs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again I said they were an average D. I didn't say they were the worst. But a possession heavy team helps lower scoring chances and their goaltending was average. It's good offense, avg d, avg goaltending. Resulting in one of the highest GAA for playoff teams.
You literally said they were desperate. I wouldn't say a team with an above-average blueline and above-average team defense coming off a 115-point season is desperate.

The goaltending was overall very bad in the regular season. That's why they had a high GAA. Unless you want to say sub. 900 is "average".

You're usually very level-headed. This is a strange hill to just be unable to admit you're wrong.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You can have dermott back. Not that he’s been bad, we just don’t need him. We’ll take a 3rd back since we can’t have back the one we traded yall
Just put him on waivers if he gets to the Leafs, they might take him. Besides, there is always Abbotsford.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Leafs should just collect a few more RH RWs and convert them to defense. BAM a bunch of Makars

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah, Marner might play D in certain situations like when down a goal with a few minutes left, but he will not be converted to a defenseman.
So people have said on here but is that something JW has said? Or just fan speculation?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So people have said on here but is that something JW has said? Or just fan speculation?

I don't know who decided that he would be converted to a defenseman or why they would draw that conclusion. It is HF, it is not surprising though.

"If Keefe deploys the 97-point man on D, it will be in specific situations where the Maple Leafs are trailing and need a goal or have a prime offensive-zone draw to break a tie or tack on an insurance goal.

In these instances, Marner could slide back, and a fourth forward — William Nylander, most likely — could hop the boards and give the opposition fits.

Such an experiment is only worth trying if you have the proper personnel, however."

• Haha
Reactions: NMacrules

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
No worries. Keefe thinks Marner will be a good D man....and has been playing him there.

Sure sure Keefe you big twit. Lets put our superstar that weighs 180 pounds in the most vulerable position on the ice with 6.5 230 players bearing down on him.

If he plays him there, I give it 10 games before Marner has a serious injury and we will be down one superstar.

boy, this team...

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No worries. Keefe thinks Marner will be a good D man....and has been playing him there.

Sure sure Keefe you big twit. Lets put our superstar that weighs 180 pounds in the most vulerable position on the ice with 6.5 230 players bearing down on him.

If he plays him there, I give it 10 games before Marner has a serious injury and we will be down one superstar. Play in:

boy, this team...
He will be fine in the situations that he would be playing there: "Leafs are trailing and need a goal or have a prime offensive-zone draw to break a tie or tack on an insurance goal."

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
ITT a bunch of dudes who don't watch the team at all and just say the same headline bait shit from 5 yrs ago about 'muh Leafs defense bad' when ironically defense has been the least of the team's concerns of late.

Btw, just listing names of defenseman as your argument of why they're bad isn't an argument lol. The virgin Avalanche fan naming Brodie and Giordano as bad defensemen is some comedic shit

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
You clearly don't watch actual championship hockey. I said Brodie and Reilly aren't past their prime. Muzzin is. Giordano certainly is. Lilegeen and Sandin are unproven.
One Cup since Roy leaves and you just aren’t going to stfu about “championship” hockey are you….foh lmao

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
That is one injured leafs dman. Do you need me to help you count them?
Muzzin has not played a single pre-season game due to injury.

Benn and Dahlstrom got injured the last game vs MTL.

Liljegren has a hernia and needs surgery.

I believe Benn and Mete have always been in Dubas' plans as league min. depth defense. Possibly as 6-7 D.

I might be incorrect, but I also believe that you (like many fans) don't have Holl playing in TOR due to his cap hit.

So here is the healthy roster until I see Muzzin playing in preseason:

Rielly Brodie
Giordano ______
Sandin _______
Mete

Now Toronto should be able to fill in with Muzzin better, Liljegren returning from surgery, and Benn returning. They do have AHLers. I don't think it's outrageous to say that Dubas' is covering his ass by looking around the league at D-Men on PTOs.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
People are also missing the situational aspect of all this.

Rielly Brodie top pair lacks the stud power of a Josi or Makar type but both of our guys are very good #2a

Muzzin and Gio are older but we aren’t asking them to be #1D.

Muzzin plays physical shutdown second pair minutes and Gio is on our third pair to bring a steady vet presence. I would say that is excellent in terms of role and capability

Would be happy to hear which third pair D are better than Gio out there….

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
He will be fine in the situations that he would be playing there: "Leafs are trailing and need a goal or have a prime offensive-zone draw to break a tie or tack on an insurance goal."
Yes, when trailing you need to create more offensive pressure so it makes sense to use four forwards unless you have a Makar on your team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, when trailing you need to create more offensive pressure so it makes sense to use four forwards unless you have a Makar on your team.
Sure, Colorado is not just going to give Makar so, the Leafs, if it shows some success, other teams have to do what is best for their teams.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
That is one injured leafs dman. Do you need me to help you count them?
What you need to understand zeke, is that you can reason that Reilly is elite, or Brodie is this and Muzzin is that all day long, but the truth of the matter is that defense scares no one offensively, defensively or even physically. No one is going in to a game and saying ohh boy this leafs defense is going to be tough to play against. No one has ever said that…

So while they have a good defense - somewhere around 10th best I’d say, it’s not to 3 or even top 5

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What you need to understand zeke, is that you can reason that Reilly is elite, or Brodie is this and Muzzin is that all day long, but the truth of the matter is that defense scares no one offensively, defensively or even physically. No one is going in to a game and saying ohh boy this leafs defense is going to be tough to play against. No one has ever said that…

So while they have a good defense - somewhere around 10th best I’d say, it’s not to 3 or even top 5
Not to you anyway.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Sure, Colorado is not just going to give Makar so, the Leafs, if it shows some success, other teams have to do what is best for their teams.

You can't deny the risk and vulnerability, however.

Leafs fans have been complaining about the 3 or 4 month slump of Campbell last year. But what if the Leafs get sub .900 play for the whole season from their goalie(s)?

And what if this experiment with Marner affects him negatively and he either gets hurt or becomes less effective?

I'm not saying any of those things will happen. It could also work out marvelously.

People can euphemise it by avoiding the D word and saying "what's to lose?" but it's hard to deny some form of desperation isn't behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad