LeBrun: "The Leafs are phoning around looking at defensemen on PTOs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Well you said sub-900 for the year....which is what they got.

But let's break down the peaks and valleys:

OCT .893sv%, 82pt pace
NOV .953sv%, 141pt pace
DEC .893sv%, 105pt pace
JAN .890sv%, 127pt pace
FEB .889sv%, 103pt pace
MAR .876sv%, 100pt pace
APR .894sv%, 131pt pace

Even worse than I remember - only one month all season where the Leafs goaltending was above .894sv%. Just brutal.

Also only 1 month where the Leafs were under 100pt pace - the shortened October where their offense just couldn't score for some reason.

Worse than I thought. Based on various comments by Leafs fans, I was under the impression there were at least a few good/decent months.

It's crazy to think it could be even worse.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The opening night defense, all of whom are currently healthy, will be Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Gio, Sandin, Holl.

Liljegren is injured.

Actually, every team does.
Ok yes. This is why Dubas is calling around. Perhaps someone will step up in camp who was slated to be a Marlie. I strongly believe you need 7 D to properly fill out a team. You've listed on 5 players. Benn is out 3 weeks, and Muzzin is a big question mark right now. Is Holl going to be around? Maybe he will.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All NHL players are good at hockey. The leafs dmen are average with respect to other NHL teams. What makes them better at hockey than Edmonton?

Well we could look at player talent, such as the fact that Edmonton's top defensive dman got clean beat out of a spot by Toronto's #7 dman. That's one obvious way.

Or we could look at literally every defensive stat, which is just as obvious.

Against Per Game:

Shot Attempts: TOR #5, EDM #13
Unblocked Shot Attempts: TOR #7, EDM #17
Shots: TOR #9, EDM #20
Expected Goals: TOR #3, EDM #22

Any reason you think the Leafs D is comparable to the Oilers other than the fact you really really really want to believe it?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I wonder if the hawks would trade Riley Stillman singed 3 years at 1.15. beudin a former frist rounder is probably Ava. he is no longer waiver exempt and does not fit what new GM wants to do. Ian mitchell maybe as well. he was the top RD in Rockford last season. still waiver exempt one more year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You said good offense, I'd consider the Canes offense good

Blues aren't just a better point, they're a clear counter to your premise. And for the Leafs depth it's pretty solid, lacking a high end 1D but nonetheless it's good. Hard to argue the Blues don't have more depth up front, though

Rielly: Low end number 1
Brodie: #2/3
Muzzin: #3, when healthy in the playoffs last year looked like a #2
Giordano: #4 (It's hilarious how many people are saying he's done because he's 39. He's still fine as the #4 on your team and showed it last year)
Liljergen: #5 (I'm admittedly very high on him, I say #5 conservatively but I think he'll be a clear top-4 defenseman by the end of the year and the second best d-man on the team)
Sandin: #5 (I am not as high on Sandin, think he'll stay a bottom pair/PP2 type of player)

I'd agree with the last thing you said. I don't have it elite since it doesn't have the high end #1. But it's a very solid defensive core that lines up to be slightly above average (8-12 like you said). If we could add more physicality it'd help a lot, don't like how soft it is outside of Muzz/Gio and the occasional big hit by Sandin
Calling Muzzin a #3 based on last season is pretty hilarious.

Also as already asked (with no answer), how many D have played a top 4 role, especially well, at 39 years old?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Calling Muzzin a #3 based on last season is pretty hilarious.

Also as already asked (with no answer), how many D have played a top 4 role, especially well, at 39 years old?

Muzzin was the #3 dman on one of the best teams in hockey last year.

And you've already been given names of guys who were good #1/2D at age 39.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well we could look at player talent, such as the fact that Edmonton's top defensive dman got clean beat out of a spot by Toronto's #7 dman. That's one obvious way.

Or we could look at literally every defensive stat, which is just as obvious.

Against Per Game:

Shot Attempts: TOR #5, EDM #13
Unblocked Shot Attempts: TOR #7, EDM #17
Shots: TOR #9, EDM #20
Expected Goals: TOR #3, EDM #22

Any reason you think the Leafs D is comparable to the Oilers other than the fact you really really really want to believe it?
The one stat that matters for team defensive performance.

Goals against. Leafs 252, oilers 251.

Unless you think broken down Mike Smith is an elite goalie that can carry the oilers to the same performance as the elite leafs D lol.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The one stat that matters for team defensive performance.

Goals against. Leafs 252, oilers 251.

Unless you think broken down Mike Smith is an elite goalie that can carry the oilers to the same performance as the elite leafs D lol.

So your entire take on dcorps is determined by a stat which is as much about goaltending as defense.

Cool.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
So your entire take on dcorps is determined by a stat which is as much about goaltending as defense.

Cool.
So your entire take on dcorp is based on stats that are just as much about puck possession by forwards as it's about D. Cool.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Do the oilers not have good forwards?
Never said they don't have good forwards. But they had a much worse goalie. Yet got the same defensive result. Now we know the oilers are just better than the leafs since their forwards score when it matters but their defence is also pretty much the same as the leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Never said they don't have good forwards. But they had a much worse goalie. Yet got the same defensive result. Now we know the oilers are just better than the leafs since their forwards score when it matters but their defence is also pretty much the same as the leafs.

Last Year

M.Smith .915 (plyffs .913)
J.Campbell .914 (plyffs .897)

M.Koskinen .903
P.Mrazek .888

S.Skinner .913
E.Kallgren .888

Last 2yrs

M.Smith .919
J.Campbell .916

M.Koskinen .902
P.Mrazek .901

S.Skinner .909
E.Kallgren .888

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Last Year

M.Koskinen .903
P.Mrazek .888

S.Skinner .913
E.Kallgren .888

Last 2yrs

M.Smith .919
J.Campbell .916

M.Koskinen .902
P.Mrazek .901

S.Skinner .909
E.Kallgren .888
Wow! Dubas has done a poor job of acquiring good goalies who can perform in the playoffs. Doesn’t bode well for the current duo given his abysmal track record to date.
😉

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Well you said sub-900 for the year....which is what they got.

But let's break down the peaks and valleys:

OCT .893sv%, 82pt pace
NOV .953sv%, 141pt pace
DEC .893sv%, 105pt pace
JAN .890sv%, 127pt pace
FEB .889sv%, 103pt pace
MAR .876sv%, 100pt pace
APR .894sv%, 131pt pace

Even worse than I remember - only one month all season where the Leafs goaltending was above .894sv%. Just brutal.

Also only 1 month where the Leafs were under 100pt pace - the shortened October where their offense just couldn't score for some reason.

Must’ve been the month leafs fans were saying Campbell for vezina.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Last Year

M.Koskinen .903
P.Mrazek .888

S.Skinner .913
E.Kallgren .888

Last 2yrs

M.Smith .919
J.Campbell .916

M.Koskinen .902
P.Mrazek .901

S.Skinner .909
E.Kallgren .888

Mike Smith was already broken down and couldn't move anymore; now hes LTIRetired; Koskinen has so little interest, he's back to Europe. Jack Campbell was/is in his physical prime and athletic enough for an NHL goalie.

Do you also think Darcy Kuemper was better/in the same tier as Vasilevsky last year?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I've watched a lot of Barrie, he would be in your top 4. Bouchard is way better than the leafs young players. Ceci is way better than holl.

You mad?
Is this an epic troll post?

You are listing off Leaf rejects that were awful here and telling us how they are better than our players, after we let them Leave because they were terrible. Under multiple coaches and systems

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

You are listing off Leaf rejects that were awful here and telling us how they are better than our players, after we let them Leave because they were terrible. Under multiple coaches and systems
I've watched more Tyson Barrie than you ever have. He isn't terrible. Players who leave the leafs aren't rejects. They actually go on to accomplish things with true contending teams like Kadri, Kessel. Hell even Barrie and Hyman has been past the first round now. The problem isn't with the players leaving, its with the ones who stayed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Barrie is terrible but Ceci is better than Holl.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Muzzin was the #3 dman on one of the best teams in hockey last year.

And you've already been given names of guys who were good #1/2D at age 39.
I wasn’t given names of anyone who played a top 4 role at 39 other than Chara, and Giordano is not Chara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese