LeBrun: "The Leafs are phoning around looking at defensemen on PTOs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
TSN -Overdrive Hour 3

Apparently they also mentioned it on Insider Trading.

Ok this is no surprise. Toronto's plans for their top 6 is totally off the rails due to Muzzin's health, Liljegren's surgery, Benn's injury, Sandin's recent hold out, etc.

Who should Toronto aim to go after?

Who's the most interesting D-man on a PTO right now?
please update as to bold

also advise pls what is going on.
saw a crazy blurb during MSG broadcast about Marner possibly playing D [no details].

I am not seeing many 'pto' candidates/options, but excess depth may be possibly available if return is worthwhile
are you looking LD, RD or both?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wow! Dubas has done a poor job of acquiring good goalies who can perform in the playoffs. Doesn’t bode well for the current duo given his abysmal track record to date.
😉

Campbell was a pretty sweet acquisition. But yeah, the goaltending has been pretty poor for a while now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He was also being declared a top five goalie I believe it was and a huge extension was being discussed.

This was obviously

I mean, he did get that extension in the end.

I wasn’t given names of anyone who played a top 4 role at 39 other than Chara, and Giordano is not Chara.

It was pointed out to you that guys like Lindstrom and chara were good #1/2 dmen at age 39.

And that the Leafs didn't need Gio to be a #1/2 dman.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Mike Smith was already broken down and couldn't move anymore; now hes LTIRetired; Koskinen has so little interest, he's back to Europe. Jack Campbell was/is in his physical prime and athletic enough for an NHL goalie.
I look forward to seeing how Edmonton does with this huge upgrade in net.
Do you also think Darcy Kuemper was better/in the same tier as Vasilevsky last year?

In the regular season yeah.

• Wow
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I've watched more Tyson Barrie than you ever have. He isn't terrible. Players who leave the leafs aren't rejects. They actually go on to accomplish things with true contending teams like Kadri, Kessel. Hell even Barrie and Hyman has been past the first round now. The problem isn't with the players leaving, its with the ones who stayed.

Yep, the players on the Leafs are always bad, even when they were good before the Leafs, and then they magically become good again when they leave.

Hfboards perfection.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well we could look at player talent, such as the fact that Edmonton's top defensive dman got clean beat out of a spot by Toronto's #7 dman. That's one obvious way.

Or we could look at literally every defensive stat, which is just as obvious.

Against Per Game:

Shot Attempts: TOR #5, EDM #13
Unblocked Shot Attempts: TOR #7, EDM #17
Shots: TOR #9, EDM #20
Expected Goals: TOR #3, EDM #22

Any reason you think the Leafs D is comparable to the Oilers other than the fact you really really really want to believe it?

These aren't 5on5 rankings, at least not according to NST.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
NST:

Shot Attempts: TOR #6, EDM #12
Unblocked SA: TOR #7, EDM #15
Shots: TOR #10, EDM #17
Chances: TOR #8, EDM #16
Expected Gls: TOR #4, EDM #16

At 5on5?

I've got the page up right now and the Leafs rank:
SA/60 - 11th
FA/60 - 11th
CA/60 - 8th
SCA/60 - 9th
HDCA/60 - 9th
xGA/60 - 5th

On a related note - I don't know how xGA is calculated when their xGA ranking is so much better than literally every other "against" number. It doesn't make logical sense that a team that's in the 8-11 ranking for giving up chances would somehow result in top 5 in how many goals they're expected to give up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
At 5on5?

I've got the page up right now and the Leafs rank:
SA/60 - 11th
FA/60 - 11th
CA/60 - 8th
SCA/60 - 9th
HDCA/60 - 9th
xGA/60 - 5th

On a related note - I don't know how xGA is calculated when their xGA ranking is so much better than literally every other "against" number. It doesn't make logical sense that a team that's in the 8-11 ranking for giving up chances would somehow result in top 5 in how many goals they're expected to give up.

Yes I posted the 5v5 numbers. You're probably looking without the score adjustments.

And you're right they probably designed their xG stat to make the Leafs look better than they are.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
So your entire take on dcorp is based on stats that are just as much about puck possession by forwards as it's about D. Cool.
It's useless arguing with you. If you would have watched any games last year you would know that the goaltending outright sucked. The D was not even close to a problem. But let's all believe an obvious hater

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's useless arguing with you. If you would have watched any games last year you would know that the goaltending outright sucked. The D was not even close to a problem. But let's all believe an obvious hater
You're just a homer trying to deflect blame on players that left the leafs. The D was average. Not good enough for a true contender but good enough to make it to the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And you're right they probably designed their xG stat to make the Leafs look better than they are.

My comment wasn't a "Leafs" thing so I'm not sure why you get defensive. It's more a case of ANY team, why would their xGA be much better than the rest of their "against" numbers. It doesn't make logical sense that a team that gives up X amount of chances to rank around 10th in the various chances against categories would then be expected to give up goals at a top 5 rate.

Quick example: Team X gives up 30 shots per night, 10 are scoring chances, 5 are high danger chances. Team Y gives up 25 shots per night, 8 are scoring chances, 3 are high danger chances. Yet Team X has a xGA of 2 while Team Y has a xGA of 3. It doesn't make logical sense why the xGA wouldn't reflect the chances against.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My comment wasn't a "Leafs" thing so I'm not sure why you get defensive. It's more a case of ANY team, why would their xGA be much better than the rest of their "against" numbers. It doesn't make logical sense that a team that gives up X amount of chances to rank around 10th in the various chances against categories would then be expected to give up goals at a top 5 rate.

Quick example: Team X gives up 30 shots per night, 10 are scoring chances, 5 are high danger chances. Team Y gives up 25 shots per night, 8 are scoring chances, 3 are high danger chances. Yet Team X has a xGA of 2 while Team Y has a xGA of 3. It doesn't make logical sense why the xGA wouldn't reflect the chances against.

It makes complete logical sense, and you'd be able to figure it out if you weren't preferring to make the Leafs look bad instead.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It makes complete logical sense, and you'd be able to figure it out if you weren't preferring to make the Leafs look bad instead.

This is why I stopped engaging in discussion with you. You literally can't help but act condescending while at the same time turning every single comment into a "attacking the Leafs" thing.

The fact is you can't explain it so you resort to the above. If it makes complete logical sense you could have explained it in the short time it took you to write the condescending response above.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Do the Leafs have contract space for a signing? I thought they were at their 50 contract limit?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is why I stopped engaging in discussion with you. You literally can't help but act condescending while at the same time turning every single comment into a "attacking the Leafs" thing.

The fact is you can't explain it so you resort to the above. If it makes complete logical sense you could have explained it in the short time it took you to write the condescending response above.

It's easy to explain, and if you could stop denying your Leafs hate you'd be able to understand it.

It's easy - if a team is top 10 in literally every component stat, it's quite likely that they are top 5 in the overall stat. Think it through.

The only reason you're feigning difficulty understanding something so simple is because you want to believe that a stat that makes the Leafs look good is wrong.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's easy to explain, and if you could stop denying your Leafs hate you'd be able to understand it.

It's easy - if a team is top 10 in literally every component stat, it's quite likely that they are top 5 in the overall stat. Think it through.

The only reason you're feigning difficulty understanding something so simple is because you want to believe that a stat that makes the Leafs look good is wrong.
Ignoring the only stat that matters. Goals against.

The leafs don't stand out at all for their team defence. Negatively or positively. Middle of the pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean, he did get that extension in the end.

It was pointed out to you that guys like Lindstrom and chara were good #1/2 dmen at age 39.

And that the Leafs didn't need Gio to be a #1/2 dman.
So you’re comparing Gio to a top 5 D of all time and another genetic freak who relied on size more than anything else?

THATS your defense for how Gio will be good this season? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad