GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh, I mean in general. You're good for at least one "I'm bored" post a game.

Lifeless tournament. Lol, ok then.

Anyway, to each their own.
I watched highlights of tournaments from years ago where other countries besides America actually gave Canada something to think about. Hell the Swiss usually manage to hold their own but they were just another team of cannon fodder. Then TSN started flashing graphics about how they hadn’t trailed all tournament... hell the most dramatic game was the Finns versus the Americans and the latter dealt with that adversity. Canada never faced any adversity and it sure sounds like they weren’t ready for the possibility of it this game.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Wish the final would've been a better game, but oh well. Enjoy the tournament for what it is: Entertainment. HFMains prospect evaluation geniuses place way too much weight on this tourny.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Love to see it. A little personality showing, and hopefully some rivalries brewing.

If Canada didn’t wanna be the trash can, we shouldn’t have played like one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

OK, I take back anything I said. What a biatch move. Classless.

Was it Knight that got the trashcan?

Oh well, may as well rub it in. Canada deserved that in this one I guess.

Kind of bugs me that Cozens carried the team the whole way and not one other forward could step up today. meaning the Workhorse from Whitehorse story got shot. it was a good story. But now tossed in the trashbin of 2nd place memories. Cozens deserved better anyway.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The tourney was lost when Dach went out and Canada literally faced 0 adversity. They needed a wake up call like the 6-0 debacle last year so they wouldn’t play so arrogantly.

They were good enough for gold. On this night nope. Dach definitely was a big loss. But other stepped up. They ran into a buzzsaw tonight who were ridiculously undervalued with everyone's focus on the greatest junior team ever discussions which overtook the media conversations and quite likely had a bunch of teenagers coming off a barrage in the semi=final believing in ordained right to gold. The tone was set by the top line match up easily won by the Americans with a head scratching decision to move off a big, buzzsaw aggressive hunter in Holloway for a smaller, more finesse player. Cozens and McMichael may have been the worst forwards on the ice. So I think coaching out smarted itself with tinkering with a rolling roster that had success.

But do agree this team needed more competitive games in the preliminary. I always want to see Canada play hard preliminary rounds to roll into the medal rounds.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Love to see it. A little personality showing, and hopefully some rivalries brewing.

If Canada didn’t wanna be the trash can, we shouldn’t have played like one.

I gotta say, it shows Canada is living rent free in their heads. You think Team Canada would have given them a second thought if they won?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They were good enough for gold. On this night nope. Dach definitely was a big loss. But other stepped up. They ran into a buzzsaw tonight who were ridiculously undervalued with everyone's focus on the greatest junior team ever discussions which overtook the media conversations and quite likely had a bunch of teenagers coming off a barrage in the semi=final believing in ordained right to gold. The tone was set by the top line match up easily won by the Americans with a head scratching decision to move off a big, buzzsaw aggressive hunter in Holloway for a smaller, more finesse player. Cozens and McMichael may have been the worst forwards on the ice. So I think coaching out smarted itself with tinkering with a rolling roster that had success.

But do agree this team needed more competitive games in the preliminary. I always want to see Canada play hard preliminary rounds to roll into the medal rounds.

Dach would not have made any difference in this game with how the tempo was. This was a coaching loss through and through. US took the time to study prepare for Canada, really had an awesome gameplan considering back 2 back games and you gotta think they kind of saw a Canada final coming from the start. Canada on the other hand looked like they never played the US ever before. Totally unprepared for this game. The players were given no tools or preparation. Which was totally exposed in this game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I gotta say, it shows Canada is living rent free in their heads. You think Team Canada would have given them a second thought if they won?

Living rent free by losing to the US in 4 consecutive final match ups. Um, explain how that works.

its pretty clear its the exact opposite of what you're re stating.

maybe Canada SHOULD give them a second thought due to the US bagging the gold everytime?

That would be good.

As many have pointed out the Canadians were shocked with how good the US played them in the final, and its hard to imagine how shock could occur. This happens every freaking time.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Probably not, but we’ll never know.

I know it’s immature, and classless, but stuff like that adds fire to the game. I hate watching these kids coached to be humble and interviewed “properly” their entire lives, so a little trash talk and bad blood is exciting imo.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Disagree. This is classless and goofy stuff like this is why I f***ing hate Team America.

I just feel like this makes them feel more human to me and I enjoy that. It’s like a real rivalry between players and teams, rather than a bunch of drones playing each other.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Dach would not have made any difference in this game with how the tempo was. This was a coaching loss through and through. US took the time to study prepare for Canada, really had an awesome gameplan considering back 2 back games and you gotta think they kind of saw a Canada final coming from the start. Canada on the other hand looked like they never played the US ever before. Totally unprepared for this game. The players were given no tools or preparation. Which was totally exposed in this game.

I think you lost context of my reply to @Oilhawks post regarding Dach. But the rest of your post pretty much mirrors what I've been posting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you lost context of my reply to @Oilhawks post regarding Dach. But the rest of your post pretty much mirrors what I've been posting.

Sorry for my distraction, the US is living rent free in my head...heh, sigh.

Could there be anything to cheer for in this pandemic. The lot of an Oiler fan.....

two tournaments take place here and we get rug pulled out in both.

sigh

US winning in our own barn. blech

Chicago beating us in a series with every game being an Oilers home game. yech

make it stop..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sorry for my distraction, the US is living rent free in my head...heh, sigh.

Could there be anything to cheer for in this pandemic. The lot of an Oiler fan.....

two tournaments take place here and we get rug pulled out in both.

sigh

US winning in our own barn. blech
I remember when John Carlson scored in overtime after Canada had come back from the brink. That loss hurt. This felt like just another game. I’m actually more upset I lost the 50/50.

Reactions: nabob

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Can't wait for all the TSN talking heads to spin this trash can thing into some big deal. Who gives a f***? Man some people take this shit way too seriously.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wish TSN would stop pushing the narrative that this team had a chance to go down in history as possibly the greatest Canadian team ever. It was ridiculous before the game and it sounds even dumber now that they’ve lost. Because of COVID, this was the most watered down tournament we’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. Most teams were missing top players. Germany couldn’t even field a full team for the first few games. The truth is there were two dominant teams here and even if we’d have won, the lack of competition disqualifies any talk that this team was greatest ever. It made me roll my eyes to hear that, especially after the loss.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just feel like this makes them feel more human to me and I enjoy that. It’s like a real rivalry between players and teams, rather than a bunch of drones playing each other.

I wonder if you've on something about respective mentality. In the US you are taught from day one to be brash, Nationalist, loud and proud. In Canada you're taught to be polite unassuming men and gentleman. I think we've fire out of our bellies from what we formerly had.

In the US the trash talk and actions are natural as is being antagonistic. Canada just seems not to know how to do that anymore which is odd becasue in hockey anyway we fairly invented antagonism. Theres a working class element missing in the Canadian game, a dirtiness missing in the canadian game, a win at all costs missing in the Canadian game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad