GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

North

Jun 25, 2009
I just feel like this makes them feel more human to me and I enjoy that. It’s like a real rivalry between players and teams, rather than a bunch of drones playing each other.

I don’t think this is the way to seem more human. Zegras saying Canada didn’t face any adversity before the game? That’s absolutely fine.

This though just takes away from their celebration and their win. I didn’t see Finland behaving this way during their win.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I wish TSN would stop pushing the narrative that this team had a chance to go down in history as possibly the greatest Canadian team ever. It was ridiculous before the game and it sounds even dumber now that they’ve lost. Because of COVID, this was the most watered down tournament we’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. Most teams were missing top players. Germany couldn’t even field a full team for the first few games. The truth is there were two dominant teams here and even if we’d have won, the lack of competition disqualifies any talk that this team was greatest ever. It made me roll my eyes to hear that, especially after the loss.

Exactly how I feel as well. Conveniently ignored how weak Canada's division was and how many meaningless points/goals were racked up against the weak teams.

2005 team will always be the greatest. Just look at the roster, enough said. I'd easily take 2015 over this team as well. Those two are just off the top of my head, I'm not a huge WJC guy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sorry for my distraction, the US is living rent free in my head...heh, sigh.

Could there be anything to cheer for in this pandemic. The lot of an Oiler fan.....

two tournaments take place here and we get rug pulled out in both.

sigh

US winning in our own barn. blech

Chicago beating us in a series with every game being an Oilers home game. yech

make it stop..

Feeling the pain. Losing to cocky Americans is the worst - having them do typical classless American things like pull out the Canada garbage can for a team photo triggers me. Never enough to be a gracious winner I sadly expect stupid behaviour like that. Just like you see many of them score and know just where the camera is to do a self-maturabatory celebration.

Next up a wild ride in the Canadian division.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wish TSN would stop pushing the narrative that this team had a chance to go down in history as possibly the greatest Canadian team ever. It was ridiculous before the game and it sounds even dumber now that they’ve lost. Because of COVID, this was the most watered down tournament we’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. Most teams were missing top players. Germany couldn’t even field a full team for the first few games. The truth is there were two dominant teams here and even if we’d have won, the lack of competition disqualifies any talk that this team was greatest ever. It made me roll my eyes to hear that, especially after the loss.

Yep. Essentially this was a tournament with two competitive sides, nobody else even came close to challenging Canada. Just prep road bumps. WE lost the one game to the only club that is in the same competitive league as us.

i did get the feel the team was hyped but that was on the basis of them all being #1 picks, some of which I'm wondering about..

I mean I loved Cozens, but he's no franchise player. Canada didn't have one forward in that kind of class. We're a long way from Sidney Crosby or McDavid here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Feeling the pain. Losing to cocky Americans is the worst - having them do typical classless American things like pull out the Canada garbage can for a team photo triggers me. Never enough to be a gracious winner I sadly expect stupid behaviour like that. Just like you see many of them score and know just where the camera is to do a self-maturabatory celebration.

I can't wait (sarcasm)

I think I'm going to have to take a break from hockey. Every time its on its a disaster movie bad ending.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep. Essentially this was a tournament with two competitive sides, nobody else even came close to challenging Canada. Just prep road bumps. WE lost the one game to the only club that is in the same competitive league as us.

i did get the feel the team was hyped but that was on the basis of them all being #1 picks, some of which I'm wondering about..

I mean I loved Cozens, but he's no franchise player. Canada didn't have one forward in that kind of class. We're a long way from Sidney Crosby or McDavid here.
Needed a Tavares magical play. ;)

Reactions: belair

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I just feel like this makes them feel more human to me and I enjoy that. It’s like a real rivalry between players and teams, rather than a bunch of drones playing each other.

Very poor way to show their humanity. It does however show their American values. Not enough to win and celebrate with class. It's about also denigrating your opponent.

Reactions: TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
If “the barrel story” that the US team is saying is true that has been posted to Twitter (really sorry I don’t know how to post tweets) then I take back what I said about them being classless. Been part of many teams that used imagery/metaphors/symbols of that nature. And it’s totally acceptable and not at all classless.
Their sport psych probably used that story as a metaphor for the tournament and reaching their goal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
OK, I take back anything I said. What a biatch move. Classless.

Was it Knight that got the trashcan?

Oh well, may as well rub it in. Canada deserved that in this one I guess.

Kind of bugs me that Cozens carried the team the whole way and not one other forward could step up today. meaning the Workhorse from Whitehorse story got shot. it was a good story. But now tossed in the trashbin of 2nd place memories. Cozens deserved better anyway.
if Cozens deserved better, he should of played better today. Could of replaced cozens with that trash can and no one would of noticed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

It's sad to say but I see it even at the youth sports level here. Thankfully I don't teach that shit to my kids and my sons coach preaches being humble. Nothing wrong with celebrating, but rubbing the other teams nose in it is a really pathetic display IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If “the barrel story” that the US team is saying is true that has been posted to Twitter (really sorry I don’t know how to post tweets) then I take back what I said about them being classless. Been part of many teams that used imagery/metaphors/symbols of that nature. And it’s totally acceptable and not at all classless.
Their sport psych probably used that story as a metaphor for the tournament and reaching their goal.

What are they saying?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Why is it that the majority of the winning tickets in online 50/50 draws are purchased in the morning? I honestly don't understand (as you can tell, I lost :laugh:)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This line still makes me cringe. McGuire is so bad.
It's one of the most incredible miscalls of all time lmao. Not just that line.

Gord Millers "can you believe it?!" followed up with Pierre immediately saying "I can believe it" and then going into some spiel about the Russians icing the puck or some shit lol. At the time of course no one cared, we were all flying high after that goal. But afterwards wow lol.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
What are they saying?
Originally people thought that they were using a trash can with the Canadian logo to call Canada trash (the US women’s hockey team wiped their skates on our flag at the Olympics so we are sensitive to this shit)

But on Twitter they posted a story about people crossing the Sahara desert and the only markers are these oil barrels 5 km apart. People could cross the desert by “taking it one barrel at a time”. So that became the US motto for the tournament. And they always put their next opponents logo on the trash can, which signified the next oil barrel.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What are they saying?

Zigras is making up some shit that everytime we win theres a trash can barrel with the opponent team logo on it.

Apparently its better if you mock each opponent equally.

Anybody actually believe this tool?

I'm actually happy we didn't draft this turd for what a colossal asshat he is. Gonna be a worse troll than Tkachuk

Zigras is probably having a big laugh at anybody that would believe his version of events.

Zigras in the video I watched said nothing at all about barrels in the desert.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's one of the most incredible miscalls of all time lmao. Not just that line.

Gord Millers "can you believe it?!" followed up with Pierre immediately saying "I can believe it" and then going into some spiel about the Russians icing the puck or some shit lol. At the time of course no one cared, we were all flying high after that goal. But afterwards wow lol.
It’s people like him that keep hockey off the map for so many people.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Read Rishaug's Twitter feed. It explains the initial reaction and clarification by American coaching staff.

It's funny that I said it was a barrel while everyone else said that it was a trash can! Alright, I guess that's understandable albeit weird! :lol:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Originally people thought that they were using a trash can with the Canadian logo to call Canada trash (the US women’s hockey team wiped their skates on our flag at the Olympics so we are sensitive to this shit)

But on Twitter they posted a story about people crossing the Sahara desert and the only markers are these oil barrels 5 km apart. People could cross the desert by “taking it one barrel at a time”. So that became the US motto for the tournament. And they always put their next opponents logo on the trash can, which signified the next oil barrel.

Wow that is some lousy shit. I can get that they hate the team, but to do that to someone's flag is pretty chicken shit. I'm sure that many Canadians were thinking.....

That is understandable, not my thing but at least I get the point of it.

Reactions: RattsSSV and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad