GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The segment prior to the USA 1-0 goal was the game. I was hoping it wasn't. But that 2mins of possession, in which Canada is knock out punched the entire segment until US finally scores was absolute owning. All 5 Canadians staring at the play as the US just throws the puck around until they score. I mean it was easy, and the Canadian forward pressure was non existent. Canadians were suspect when they got hemmed in own end, it just didn't happen a lot in the tournament because we werent playing any good teams.
Canada had yet to see pace like that all tournament
They literally forgot how to hockey because they were so stunned

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The segment prior to the USA 1-0 goal was the game. I was hoping it wasn't. But that 2mins of possession, in which Canada is knock out punched the entire segment until US finally scores was absolute owning. All 5 Canadians staring at the play as the US just throws the puck around until they score. I mean it was easy, and the Canadian forward pressure was non existent. Canadians were suspect when they got hemmed in own end, it just didn't happen a lot in the tournament because we werent playing any good teams.
I still find that strange cause they came out pretty damn strong and fast for the first ten minutes before that. Then after a whistle it was just basically gone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't feel at any point that any of the Canadian forwards had the capability of scoring tonight.

They were all completely useless in the game. Our closest chance the whole game from Byron, ironically shorthanded.

Canada needed to be way more aggressive 5 0n 5 and its ironic because they owned in the tournament, but in this one the US pace at Evens was greater and their D commitment to offense was better. Canada was far too guilty of not flooding offensive zone, bringing everybody in. Its 2-0 late in game and we got a defender on the blueline, Barron, I mean WTF. So many times the puck came back to the point and our defenders either flew the zone or were never in it.

We got undressed in Coaching in this game. US was letter perfect, better run club.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They also have a dedicated program for hockey development in the USNTDP

What that does as well is allow their top players to play together and build chemistry whereas we build an annual all star team from across the countries CHL and Major Jr teams a few weeks before the tournament and see what works which is why our coaches decision to mix the lines up for the game that matters most is mind boggling to me.

If we had a Team 2 vs the USA Team 2 we would probably slaughter them however.

Zegras’ coach in the NHL is going to be Dallas Eakins. If anyone can make a highly touted forward bust it’s him.

True

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Pelletier was absolute dog meat in this game including taking the stupid penalty. Had no hands whatsoever, was killing plays all over. Perfetti or whatever the f*** his name was never got untracked the whole tournament, the story of so many of the Canadian forwards. half the forwards, I don't even know why there were here.

Let’s hope that description fits his pro career as well :sarcasm:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Canada had yet to see pace like that all tournament
They literally forgot how to hockey because they were so stunned

it had the feeling of a knockout punch didn't it. Stunned is a good word for it. I really had that impression as well and once you get scared in a game, you've lost. Canada confidence was blown with both of the first 2 goals. Strangely Canadas best moment in the game was the pk. So odd. We were agressive on the PK, we weren't EV, how to explain that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
They were all completely useless in the game. Our closest chance the whole game from Byron, ironically shorthanded.

Canada needed to be way more aggressive 5 0n 5 and its ironic because they owned in the tournament, but in this one the US pace at Evens was greater and their D commitment to offense was better. Canada was far too guilty of not flooding offensive zone, bringing everybody in. Its 2-0 late in game and we got a defender on the blueline, Barron, I mean WTF. So many times the puck came back to the point and our defenders either flew the zone or were never in it.

We got undressed in Coaching in this game. US was letter perfect, better run club.
Yeah I also couldn't figure out why the hell the Holloway line wasn't getting double shifted in the third. Him and Mercer were hands down our two most noticable players in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I still find that strange cause they came out pretty damn strong and fast for the first ten minutes before that. Then after a whistle it was just basically gone.

I had some bad feelings about the pace of the game by the 5 minute mark. US were showing signs. So fast flooding zone. So fast getting to pucks and pressuring Canada in own zone. Thats hockey sometimes. Team with speed and aggressive pressuring makes the other team start to get slow and methodical. It was killing Canada.

Reactions: GOilers88

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think the forwards in general just lacked game breaking skill in this game. Probably needed to play a more simple game and muddy up the front of the net more. Seemed like some guys like Holloway, Pelletier, etc know what kind of players they are and kind of stuck to that. Too many guys trying to play cute plays, passes behind the back, blind passes etc into the slot. Better team won tonight.

Yeah I was wondering in the 3rd if they could have used a guy like Seth Jarvis who has speed, can dangle and will take the puck to the middle of the ice. Kind of felt like the Canadian forwards had too much of the same flavour tonight. Also, I like Krebs, but he was making a few too many desperate hope passes/plays in this one for me.

I wish Tourigny would have mixed up his lines in the second period. I would have gone back to the Holloway-Newhook-Pelletier line, and maybe loaded up and put Byfield with Cozens and McMichael so that maybe having a couple guys with size and speed on the same line would make it tougher to neutralize them. Team needed a spark anyways, or at least a different look to throw at the US.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Do you ever find joy?

e54bc86d182d90285055e615791d6076.gif

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you ever find joy in.... anything?
Reading your posts is so depressing. Must be getting close to Oilers season haha
I’m not American so why would I find joy in Canada losing? What emotion am I supposed to be feeling after such a lifeless tournament?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Slept through the game, doesn’t look like I missed much. This tournament is nowhere near the must see TV it was a decade ago.

Actually agreed. I mean I watched a lot because what else are you going to do during a lockdown pandemic. I was hoping for some joyful happy ending too. Didn't turn out that way. At least Canada was in the final.

I can't even say though that I hated losing to the US this time out. For some reason I don't detest this US teams as much as I normally would. They seem like half decent kids, and full credit, they went out and just go the gold, full measure, took control of the game early and Canada couldn't come back.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

I agree. This game was lost early. The American top line completely dominated and asserted themselves with that massive shift and the goal became shock and awe. Team Canada looked absolutely shellshocked and played that way too. Meanwhile the Americans rose to the moment against a team prematurely stroked into greatest of all time conversations.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m not American so why would I find joy in Canada losing? What emotion am I supposed to be feeling after such a lifeless tournament?

On the whole the tournament was awful. On any given night mismatches. Again I watched because what else is there. More than any other time I wanted something to cheer for in these pretty bleak times.

Reactions: rboomercat90

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Actually agreed. I mean I watched a lot because what else are you going to do during a lockdown pandemic. I was hoping for some joyful happy ending too. Didn't turn out that way. At least Canada was in the final.

I can't even say though that I hated losing to the US this time out. For some reason I don't detest this US teams as much as I normally would. They seem like half decent kids, and full credit, they went out and just go the gold, full measure, took control of the game early and Canada couldn't come back.
I was hoping we would face Finland because Canada would’ve probably rolled them again, but they faced the only team that would actually not roll over for them and.... well....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Oh, I mean in general. You're good for at least one "I'm bored" post a game.

Lifeless tournament. Lol, ok then.

Anyway, to each their own.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree. This game was lost early. The American top line completely dominated and asserted themselves with that massive shift and the goal became shock and awe. Team Canada looked absolutely shellshocked and played that way too. Meanwhile the Americans rose to the moment against a team prematurely stroked into greatest of all time conversations.

US had several chances to score the 2-0 goal in the first before Canada was saved by the bell. Turns out the 20min intermission didn't help, Canada knocked to the canvas again in first minute of 2nd period, sigh. I mean at that point I knew it was probably done.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

The tourney was lost when Dach went out and Canada literally faced 0 adversity. They needed a wake up call like the 6-0 debacle last year so they wouldn’t play so arrogantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad