GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Think Canada will completely demolish this US team. Very opportunistic vs the finns but they struggled with the hard checking and I'm not impressed by their defense as a whole. Very few of their star forwards play well through traffic. Unless the canadian team is hit with nerves or Knight stands on his head, he clearly has the ability, this should be a Canada win.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know it's just the world Juniors, but gotta be pumped if you are Florida. Lundell, Levi and Knight all playing big roles for their teams.

When is the last time a team had two draft picks be starters for their Countries? Let alone the two gold medal goalies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I know it's just the world Juniors, but gotta be pumped if you are Florida. Lundell, Levi and Knight all playing big roles for their teams.

When is the last time a team had two draft picks be starters for their Countries? Let alone the two gold medal goalies.
Too bad they are goalies.

Long gestation period when anything can happen.

Reactions: joestevens29

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

To echo the sentiments of the poster above me.

For whatever reason it seems like goalies who kill it at the WJHC seem to struggle to become impact NHL netminders.

It’s likely due to the gestation period for goalies as most usually don’t crack an NHL roster until they’re well into their 20s.

Pogge, Furcale, and Montoya are perfect examples of this. They have a combined 175 NHL GP with Montoya having 168 of those.

But then again this may be perception over fact because for each Pogge or Furcale there’s a Hart, Fleury or Luongo.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013

I was thinking last night about Levi and how it would be nice to have a top goalie coming up the system. Then they show a stat saying he was potentially going to beat some record set previously by Justin Pogge. Who? Had to look him up, did nothing in the NHL.

You just never know with goalies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

For whatever reason it seems like goalies who kill it at the WJHC seem to struggle to become impact NHL netminders.

It’s likely due to the gestation period for goalies as most usually don’t crack an NHL roster until they’re well into their 20s.

Pogge, Furcale, and Montoya are perfect examples of this. They have a combined 175 NHL GP with Montoya having 168 of those.

But then again this may be perception over fact because for each Pogge or Furcale there’s a Hart, Fleury or Luongo.
Fucale was drafted high in the draft and was highly touted but I don't recall him being good at the WJC

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I was thinking last night about Levi and how it would be nice to have a top goalie coming up the system. Then they show a stat saying he was potentially going to beat some record set previously by Justin Pogge. Who? Had to look him up, did nothing in the NHL.

You just never know with goalies.

Sure he did, he made Tukka Rask expendable and they traded him to Boston for Rycroft

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lol, someone seriously didn't claim a 3.8M prize in the 50/50? This seems extra bad because the sellers of the tickets know exactly who bought them. This isn't like giving random paper tickets.

Oh well, last 50/50 is gonna be a big one!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Honestly when they named Podkolzin as the player of the game yesterday, I was like WTF. Then I asked myself, "Who should of been the player of the game?". I think there was some guys who were better than Podkolzin yesterday but no players really stood out in anyway. Maybe Afanasyev? I dunno. You arent going to win many games when none of your players stand out. Canada was just too good.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

the thing with the Canadian goalies is they only ever need to make 5-6 real saves in a game, they are rarely challenged. so its hard to get a good read on them

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gold medal - 6:30 Pregame.

7:30 Ass Whuppin’ Time.

Let’s show those Yanks whose boss.

Oh and I almost forgot - Aloha means delicious.

The word that you are looking for is Ono. Aloha can mean a lot of things, but delicious is not one of them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Canada should take this. From what I've seen from the US, their forwards aren't spectacular along the boards or in traffic. Zegras, Caufield, and Kaliyev are all very dangerous when given time and space. Take that away and play them closely and most of their weapons are neutralized.

5-2 Canada.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad