The Laine/Torts relationship

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Has there today been an incident brought up between Laine and Maurice?

On Monday, Laine made comments about really how his teammates on his line are bad, if you read between the lines of course.
When you're having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with, Laine told Finland's Pekka Jalonen. With the merits I have, somewhere else I'd have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that. There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I'm told to play.
On Tuesday, head coach Paul Maurice told the media that "Nobody gets the keys at 14", referring to a driver's licence analogy when asked about Laine. And again on Wednesday, he delivered another blow Laine's way when a reporter asked if Andrew Copp's offence would put him on one of the top lines.

Did he tell you he wants to play with our best players? Maurice asked the reporter, clearly firing shots Laine's way.

this took 15 seconds to find

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Give me a break. This is fake frickin news here. Larsen may have said this is how I want this done and Patty said that isn't working. Then Patty scored on the PP so with that maybe it is time to try something new. Dropping the puck back isn't fooling anyone when you do it every f***ing play.

Lol. The drop pass is literally the "opening" strategy of just about every PP in the league. If there is a conflict over PP strategy it is not about that. Try watching some other teams. They're playing right now.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Give me a break. This is fake frickin news here. Larsen may have said this is how I want this done and Patty said that isn't working. Then Patty scored on the PP so with that maybe it is time to try something new. Dropping the puck back isn't fooling anyone when you do it every f***ing play.
I also have to wonder if Laine ripped Larsen for the horrendous power play strategy.

We’ve already seen how outspoken he is and we all know how easy it is to get triggered from that abomination.

Definitely PP related, it's not surprising considering how good the Jets PP was in comparison and we can't even get set up in the offensive zone unless we win an O zone face off. Looks like Brad didn't want to be told how to do his job, not condoning Laine's actions bc I don't know what was said but I wouldn't be surprised if the players are as sick of that lost cause as much as much as I am watching it.

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely PP related, it's not surprising considering how good the Jets PP was in comparison and we can't even get set up in the offensive zone unless we win an O zone face off. Looks like Brad didn't want to be told how to do his job, not condoning Laine's actions bc I don't know what was said but I wouldn't be surprised if the players are as sick of that lost cause as much as much as I am watching it.

It's not definitely PP related. Seriously think for a minute.

"Do I know this for a fact?"

The answer is that you don't know that.

Laine also turned the puck over on every 5v5 entry that game so they might have had plenty to talk about with that.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Lol. The drop pass is literally the "opening" strategy of just about every PP in the league. If there is a conflict over PP strategy it is not about that. Try watching some other teams. They're playing right now.
Some teams are just better at it. I don't know if I don't like it, or if I don't like how the Jackets/Monsters do it. I have seen some teams use it very well.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Also regarding Laine, while I love his offense, there's two IFs I'm keeping an eye on. if he's a defensive liability and he only scores enough to offset the goals he causes, his net impact on the scoresheet is ZERO. If he's toxic to the culture, which causes other players play worse, he needs to be removed from the squad.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
It's not definitely PP related. Seriously think for a minute.

"Do I know this for a fact?"

The answer is that you don't know that.

Laine also turned the puck over on every 5v5 entry that game so they might have had plenty to talk about with that.
Doubtful, if were talking giveaways specifically D coverage, Torts usually handles that. PP is specifically run by Larsen, it's not hard to put two and two together. It's not like I have some crazy audience that follows all my opinions and I'm going influence thousands :laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Doubtful, if were talking giveaways specifically D coverage, Torts usually handles that. PP is specifically run by Larsen, it's not hard to put two and two together. It's not like I have some crazy audience that follows all my opinions and I'm going influence thousands :laugh:

Lars coaches the forwards at 5v5. You don't think he talks to them about mistakes they make at 5v5? And I'm talking about giveaways at the offensive blueline.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Lars coaches the forwards at 5v5. You don't think he talks to them about mistakes they make at 5v5? And I'm talking about giveaways at the offensive blueline.
Honestly does it matter? Maybe it was both, doesn't really matter what the subject is but I doubt he has good things to say about how this team's zone entries on the PP, or 5v5 for that matter. Both are objectively terrible but Laine shouldn't be mouthing off to coaches either way. Being a fan of this team is exhausting, it's something new every day.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
this took 15 seconds to find

You call that an incident where a player "mouths off" to the coach?

That is nothing but standard criticism through the media.

Coaches and players do it all the time. "We sucked", "The effort wasn't there", "The backup has played better so he's playing", "The first line wasn't going so I played the guys who were" ....

I was looking for incidents of direct confontation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Coaches and players do it all the time. "We sucked", "The effort wasn't there", "The backup has played better so he's playing", "The first line wasn't going so I played the guys who were" ....

I agree it is different. But still not cool to complain to the media about your coaches decisions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So are we thinking this happened on the bench?

When the players were asked about the Laine benching after the game they were pretty much speaking as if this is just what happens when you don't play the right way, happens to all of us sometimes, he'll come back better, etc... etc..

It doesn't seem like they thought it was about a player-coach interaction. Perhaps they didn't know about it? Was it in the first intermission in the coaches office? Or perhaps there was a spat on the bench but it wasn't as noteworthy as people assume it must be, and that this was a minor reason to bench him?

People are going to run with the worst possible interpretation anyways, oh well.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Didn’t one of the Finns say there was a story of Laine threatening to kill a coach in his junior career ?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

When the players were asked about the Laine benching after the game they were pretty much speaking as if this is just what happens when you don't play the right way, happens to all of us sometimes, he'll come back better, etc... etc..

It doesn't seem like they thought it was about a player-coach interaction. Perhaps they didn't know about it? Was it in the first intermission in the coaches office? Or perhaps there was a spat on the bench but it wasn't as noteworthy as people assume it must be, and that this was a minor reason to bench him?

People are going to run with the worst possible interpretation anyways, oh well.

I'm putting my money on something on the bench, but spoken so quietly they just didn't hear it.

Probably some wise-ass sarcastic comment?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Jack Roslovic was also part of the trade with Winnipeg and scored the winner Monday against the Hurricanes late in the third period on a beautiful tally in which he reversed the puck between his legs, kicked it with his left skate to split two defensemen and scored with a backhand shot.
“Well, I know he’s probably going to be one of the best players the next game, if not the best,” Roslovic said when asked about Laine being benched. “He’s a tough kid. He’s gonna bounce back hard and I think they’ll squash whatever they have (that’s an issue) and it’ll be behind us.”

Either "they" is Laine and Torts or Laine and an assistant coach. Either way I doubt the there'd be multiple articles if it wasn't about an assistant coach spat, Torts himself stated it was more than the missed assignment, hence the "it's going to stay in house" comment.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

None of them would mention it even if they witnessed it.

Reactions: Gagnefan924

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad