The Laine/Torts relationship

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Didn’t one of the Finns say there was a story of Laine threatening to kill a coach in his junior career ?

No, he didn't threaten him. He was on the ice after the game standing in a line, and said something like "wish he was dead" or something like that. But the exact thing has never been told, and the rumours have been wild

But if you check out what the team did, it must not have been anything major. He was one of the few players on his team, who did not change teams within the city during his junior career. Almost everyone else did.

I think if he really had a problem, he would have at least changed teams within the city.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Also regarding Laine, while I love his offense, there's two IFs I'm keeping an eye on. if he's a defensive liability and he only scores enough to offset the goals he causes, his net impact on the scoresheet is ZERO. If he's toxic to the culture, which causes other players play worse, he needs to be removed from the squad.
There’s a reason the analytics guys think Laine is overrated. And we’re seeing it with our own eyes. He needs to become more well-rounded or it’s foolish to give him big money.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe all of this is true. An assistant coach behind the bench gave Laine an earful for careless turnovers and lackadaisical play. Laine used some choice words in response. And that's the "off ice" incident that got him benched. That fits with what Cam and Rossy said to the media.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
There’s a reason the analytics guys think Laine is overrated. And we’re seeing it with our own eyes. He needs to become more well-rounded or it’s foolish to give him big money.
I am overreacting obviously, but so far it’s not looking like a good match, the way Panarin was from day one

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I've had about a dozen posts directed at me indignantly saying something like "but he scored 63 pts" as if that is the one way to know whether a player is good or not.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Your previous post sure implied it was the same people who said they'd handle it internally that leaked this. You tell me how to read it.

"We'll keep it in house" from Torts implies everyone on the team is on board. I doubt Hedger runs with his "sources" unless he can trace it back to someone on the bench. So someone on the bench / in the room broke the sacred trust of keeping it in the room. I doubt we find out who.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"We'll keep it in house" from Torts implies everyone on the team is on board. I doubt Hedger runs with his "sources" unless he can trace it back to someone on the bench. So someone on the bench / in the room broke the sacred trust of keeping it in the room. I doubt we find out who.

I think Hedger runs with it if he hears from a trainer or some other minor staff person, or perhaps a player. Either way I doubt it was Torts/Jarmo as you implied.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Hedger runs with it if he hears from a trainer or some other minor staff person, or perhaps a player. Either way I doubt it was Torts/Jarmo as you implied.

I didn't imply it, explained why I didn't, but here you are still trying to put words in my mouth lmao

Torts said "we'll keep it in house." To me, that implies that Torts was speaking for the entire coaching/training staff as well as the players. If Hedger has "multiple" sources confirming Laine "mouthed off," then obviously someone didn't keep it in house. That doesn't mean it was Torts or Jarmo, but obviously someone on the bench yapped.

Last edited:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
But if Laine can’t cooperate with coaching, this is a known issue in his past, he shouldn’t be here.
So, this is not a made up story?
He had one (1) issue at a game with his coach as a teenager and you make this a known issue?
So far, we don‘t know what really happened. It might be a misunderstanding or non-issue.

You said also:
“Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth.”
With no evidence.
So you DO make up your own stories to support your agenda, whatever that may be.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So, this is not a made up story?
He had one (1) issue at a game with his coach as a teenager and you make this a known issue?
So far, we don‘t know what really happened. It might be a misunderstanding or non-issue.

You said also:
“Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth.”
With no evidence.
So you DO make up your own stories to support your agenda, whatever that may be.

Yes? It is a known issue. It happened. He was 15, an immature kid. Shit happens. I’m not saying he’s the same kid now, I’m just saying it for the record. I did the same thing with PLD and when he quit and moped his way off his junior team in his draft +1 year.

I posted one story (that I didn’t write) that took me 15 seconds to find about Laine and Maurice going at it in the media. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say they probably went at it at times behind closed doors. You’re making way too much out of this. Do you notice the word “maybe?” I’m not making up stories, I didn’t even tell stories.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I don't think there is a particular reason to think Laine can't co-operate with coaching like say, a certain Rangers player. After that fracas as 15 year old he was coached by some of the best coaches in Finland both on club and national level and there was never any further issue. It was no secret that Laine was unhappy with his role in Winnipeg. Some of the Finnish news stories blew that up a bit, but I don't remember there being any coming together between Maurice and Laine or any benching.

Laine the way he plays now is actually quite a bit better as well than a couple of years ago when he was a more one-sided player. Laine 2.0, at least the way he played last year, shouldn't deserve a benching of any kind under normal circumstances, which is why this thing is suspicious.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It’s unclear which coach had the interaction with Laine or if it was a single interaction or a series of events. Brad Larsen coaches the Blue Jackets’ forwards, while Brad Shaw coaches the defensemen. Those two, along with Tortorella, are on the bench during games.

The fact that Laine wasn’t benched until late in the second period suggests his punishment was in response to something that happened on the bench during the game, though that could not be confirmed.

Tortorella and Laine did not meet or talk Tuesday, an off day for the players. The Blue Jackets will practice Wednesday in Nationwide Arena before traveling to Chicago ahead of a game on Thursday.

Blue Jackets' Patrik Laine benched because he 'verbally disrespected' a coach

Nothing really new here but yeah

Reactions: Gagnefan924

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I don’t think Torts will be here after this year. Likely his assistants won’t either.
Not for nothing, but there are an awful lot of people suggesting this to be true, but I'm not anywhere near as convinced as you/they are. Most of the guys here have nothing but good things to say about John Tortorella, and he's been consistently successful on a level that no other coach ever has been here.

If Laine really did say something disrespectful to one of the coaches, then I'm not only OK with him getting benched, I'm glad he got benched.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Not for nothing, but there are an awful lot of people suggesting this to be true, but I'm not anywhere near as convinced as you/they are. Most of the guys here have nothing but good things to say about John Tortorella, and he's been consistently successful on a level that no other coach ever has been here.

I'm not suggesting the CBJ organization are going part ways with him (firing). I'm suggesting Torts is going to part ways with the CBJ (retirement, or not renewing his contract and moving on).

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Can someone paste that dispatch story to here? You can't see it in EU area without logging in. Or just main points?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad