The kids are doing OK

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
With the way Lajoie and Chabot have been producing, it might be the first time since 2005-06 that we've had two defensemen score 40+ points in the same season.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
But I'm interested in knowing why you think it was mishandled ........ because Dorion tried to convince Phaneuf to drop his NMC, knowing that Vegas would most likely not select him and his contract, and that would have allowed him to protect Methot. But Phaneuf would not play ball ......... so what should PD have done?

Yes, we know.

PD tried and failed to convince Phaneuf.
PD tried and failed to trade Methot
PD tried and failed to trade Ceci
PD tried and failed to make another more favourable deal with VG that would have prevented us losing Methot

We get that PD tried and failed to provide VG with value similar to the 2nd round pick they flipped Methot to Dallas for.

So what should PD have done? Not fail.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, we know.

PD tried and failed to make another more favourable deal with VG that would have prevented us losing Methot

We get that PD tried and failed to provide VG with value similar to the 2nd round pick they flipped Methot to Dallas for.

Nobody was going to trade for Methot or Ceci before an expansion draft so that’s not an option. So that leaves the option of sending a 2nd rounder (Alex Formenton) to Vegas and likely losing Wideman instead of Methot.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Someone was going to be selected off the Senators unprotected list, in the expansion draft.

Vegas saw value in selecting Methot, perhaps thinking they'd get a pick from Ottawa, for not selecting him and taking someone else, but that did not pan out, so they traded him to Dallas.

No matter which player was taken, there would have been posters upset.

But I'm interested in knowing why you think it was mishandled ........ because Dorion tried to convince Phaneuf to drop his NMC, knowing that Vegas would most likely not select him and his contract, and that would have allowed him to protect Methot. But Phaneuf would not play ball ......... so what should PD have done?
Better anticipation. To lose an asset of that quality and importance to the team just means he didn't anticipate the situation well enough whether that would have come a year before, 6 months, 1 month, 1 day, etc.

I suspect they were okay with it because they shed salary, and we know that's their priority, but they obviously misjudged just how important he was to the defense.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Better anticipation. To lose an asset of that quality and importance to the team just means he didn't anticipate the situation well enough whether that would have come a year before, 6 months, 1 month, 1 day, etc.

I suspect they were okay with it because they shed salary, and we know that's their priority, but they obviously misjudged just how important he was to the defense.
The Sens were playing in the ECF 1 month before, and as stated before, no ther team was going to add a player right before an expansion draft.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If you really think the decision to expose Methot wasn't made well before June 17, I don't know what to tell you.

This all began when some one said "Ottawa let Methot walk for nothing" ........ I pointed out that he was selected in the Expansion draft ........ and others have claimed it could have been avoided, and PD botched it up.

If Methot was protected, then Ottawa would have lost another player, and everyone would be whining about loosing that player .......... Ottawa was going to lose a player, and it was decided that EK65 and Ceci were going to be protected, and they had no choice but to protect Phaneuf.

Prior to the expansion draft, most people here thought it was going to be Wideman or Classeon who was going to selected by Vegas, but they told Ottawa (ahead of the draft) that they were going to select Methot, try to squeeze something out of PD, a pick or prospect, to not select him, and take either Wideman or Classeon.

PD did the right thing and refused to pay the blackmail, and was willing to lose Methot ....... which has turned out to have been the best outcome for Ottawa.

I can just imagine how you haters would have been all over PD for giving Vegas a pick or prospect, in order to keep Methot, and also lose one of Wideman or Classeon.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, we know.

PD tried to trade a 2nd to get Methot back, after the draft, and Vegas refused.

PD played this the best he could have, given the situation.

I guess all other GMs who lost a roster player also failed, by your definition.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Nobody was going to trade for Methot or Ceci before an expansion draft so that’s not an option. So that leaves the option of sending a 2nd rounder (Alex Formenton) to Vegas and likely losing Wideman instead of Methot.

Exactly ...... and Ottawa is better off today with Formenton and Wideman, than a 33 year old Methot, in their line up

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

PD wanted to keep Methot, but he could not persuade DP to drop his NMC, so he was hancuffed, and did not want to lose more than one asset, and in the end, loosing a (now) 33 year old Methot, with his history of injuries, has worked out to being in Ottawa's favour.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was fine with Methot being selected in the expansion draft, he was getting up there in age & was having health issues. In fact, didn't he miss most of the next season anyways for Dallas & that would not have helped Ottawa if they kept him. He was good while he was here but it was time to let him go, the team was a shit show regardless if they would have kept Methot that next yr.

Reactions: pzeeman

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Did you not accept that argument as fact when you said "exactly"?

In that case, please validate that fact with a quote from the other 30 GMs.
That’s unrealistic. Why don’t you pick a team that you think could have taken Methot and provide a return of picks and or player with less than 2 years of pro experience. I’ll explain why that scenario was unrealistic.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That’s unrealistic. Why don’t you pick a team that you think could have taken Methot and provide a return of picks and or player with less than 2 years of pro experience. I’ll explain why that scenario was unrealistic.
That's not at all how the burden of proof works. You said...
no ther team was going to add a player right before an expansion draft.

...and are being asked to back it up. Debates don't mean you sling whatever at the wall and hope it sticks.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's not at all how the burden of proof works. You said...

...and are being asked to back it up. Debates don't mean you sling whatever at the wall and hope it sticks.
When it is common sense there is no need. Seriously, teams could only protect 3D. No one was taking on contracts before the draft.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There was a point to my post that is unrelated to the argument you are making, you will understand if you stick around HFSens for a while.

Anyway, your post is factually incorrect and easily proven wrong, there were plenty of roster players traded leading up to the draft:

Traded June 15 2017:
Jonathan Drouin for Mikhail Sergachev

Traded May 9 2017:
Ben Bishop

Traded April 28 2017:
Scott Darling

Traded June 17
Mike Smith

Traded June 17
Nathan Beaulieu
Goalies are different as there is only 1 starter. The highest return was a 3rd.

Droning is a forward and the acquiring team can protect 7 Segechev was exempt so he didn’t need to be protected.

Beaulieu returned a 3rd and you are right that a team decided to take on and protect a dman. So Dorion may have gotten a 3rd for Methot and then likely lost Wideman. Losing 2 top 6 D for a 3rd seems like worse asset management than losing Methot for nothing.

Hell Methot only got a 2nd from Dallas When there were no protection list concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad