The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
As stated earlier, pre-conditioned to think that UFA signings bring LaChance & Richardson or a washed up Foote so my expectations are that we end up without a seat when the music stops.. I saw a post that listed JPM’s net worth at over 3B and 18th highest among NHL owners. Meanwhile the NHL buyin has gone from costing $80M to $500M so to the earlier poster, Your right - I’m not worried about losing a few MM.

Meanwhile our team has played so much better than anticipated. Find the Bread replacement.. or get a Winner like Petro either one sounds good to me.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Pretty impressed with Jarmo. And it seems fans on the mains are as well. He has big brass ones. I’ve followed pro sports long enough to know most GMs would’ve watched this Stanley cup playoffs and been content to keep things the same and hope PLD and other youngins improve. With Jarmo, hope isn’t a strategy.

love the shakeups. Love him unabashedly drafting his guy. He’s still finding the balance of maximizing the present while preserving the future. I think he will improve in this respect
Insert foot in mouth. What a disaster barring something unforeseen.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Man people around here act like this guy hasnt been amazing for us whether it be the draft or trades. Absolutely no faith. I dont need to go over accomplishments you all are smart enough to understand them id hope. Maybe I give yall to much credit we'll see. But what are we pissed at? Seriously... what? He moved Nuti and Murray to clear cap for future contracts or because the owners needed to cut cap because the pandemic. All we lost was minimal depth. And in finacial times like these people are willing to give up WAY less. Sure if there was no virus Murray gets a 2nd. But that's not the world we are in. We have a ton of room to make moves if we have to and we cleared a guy who will play 30gms and then an overpaid 7D.

You all see what MTL had to pay Anderson we got out from under that while getting Domi. He got rid of that Wennberg anchor. We are in a great spot with a f*** ton of kids about ready. Still have UFA out there. But hey whats new a bunch of spoiled fans that if its done differently then they would do it fire him.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Man people around here act like this guy hasnt been amazing for us whether it be the draft or trades. Absolutely no faith. I dont need to go over accomplishments you all are smart enough to understand them id hope. Maybe I give yall to much credit we'll see. But what are we pissed at? Seriously... what? He moved Nuti and Murray to clear cap for future contracts or because the owners needed to cut cap because the pandemic. All we lost was minimal depth. And in finacial times like these people are willing to give up WAY less. Sure if there was no virus Murray gets a 2nd. But that's not the world we are in. We have a ton of room to make moves if we have to and we cleared a guy who will play 30gms and then an overpaid 7D.

You all see what MTL had to pay Anderson we got out from under that while getting Domi. He got rid of that Wennberg anchor. We are in a great spot with a f*** ton of kids about ready. Still have UFA out there. But hey whats new a bunch of spoiled fans that if its done differently then they would do it fire him.
I agree with what you have said. To give Jarmo, or any GM, a grade now is premature. Drafts and trades don't show whether they are good or not until games, or even seasons have been played. What looks good now, can blow up and look horrible down the line, or vice versa. Did they make a big free agent splash? No, at least not yet. Big deal. I actually would rather a guy like Texier, or Bemstrom, develop and be that guy, then to go out and hope you hit on a free agent. I'll wait and see what happens before making any kind of judgement on how this draft/free agent period looks.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I refuse to believe that Jarmo is done. If this is it we have been lied to as fans and it is unacceptable. The trades Jarmo made is not the issue. It is the lack of additions to the roster and taking the appropriate actions necessary to win the Stanley Cup as the team always preaches. If this was directed by ownership than Jarmo gets an A for executing the plan. If this his plan to win a cup than I will continue to give him the opportunity to add a significant piece to give the team a chance to win. If it doesn't happen I will be calling for his resignation. Cap space doesn't win cups.....good players do.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Citation?

While the lying to fans part is a bit misleading, it does appear that he does have an internal cap.

Now to the lying to fans part, Jarmo said at one point that he hadn't had that conversation with ownership yet but that they had always let him do whatever he wanted if it meant improving the team. So people (myself included) took that to mean there was no internal cap.

Reactions: Cowumbus

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I wonder if ownership took his keys away when he went to them with the Wennberg buyout??? Yeah it saved them money in the long run but it’s paying someone to not play, again. And it was another bad contract. It seemed to be a swift neutering as of noon on Thursday.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While the lying to fans part is a bit misleading, it does appear that he does have an internal cap.

Now to the lying to fans part, Jarmo said at one point that he hadn't had that conversation with ownership yet but that they had always let him do whatever he wanted if it meant improving the team. So people (myself included) took that to mean there was no internal cap.

I'm still not following where the lie was supposed to have been.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"He did a couple of strange things I didn't understand that I reconciled by presuming that he was totally going to sign a superstar but it was actually because internal cap/fake offer sheet/the pandemic/he hates us! HE LIED!"

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Maybe that's what he thought. Maybe owner saw that quote and called Jarmo and said I saw what you said, after thinking about it, I've decided to have an internal cap. Surprise! But also I find it wierd that they supposedly offered a contract to Hall and or Pietrangelo. I thought he had a internal cap? And I doubt he made an attempt by low balling them. That's just wasting everyone's, including his time. Either he didn't make an offer and claimed he did and is lying to make it seem like he's trying/ownership is willing to spend or he sent a offer he knew that it'll get rejected, just to say he tried. Or ownership is willing to spend to a certain amount on special players. Also if he didn't have a internal cap, why not say it? What's the harm? By saying it's between him and the owner, it will make it seem like he does. So why not say he's on a budget?? But another wierd thing is he keeps saying some teams might face a team crunch and maybe we can take advantage but if he has a cap, how would he acquire these players? Sending back a contract would even things out for Columbus but other team is back to square one. Lastly, if he has a cap, how much you think? It was reported that teams will have a internal cap of $70 million. You think lower?

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
Maybe he is clearing deadwood to make a run at a big name (Ufa, trade or offer sheet) knowing that, if it falls through, we will still be in a position to make a big splash without dumping salary next year when teams are still cash strapped?

Trade for space and the worst case scenario is getting more minutes for Peeke and Foudy.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Like I said, its a bit misleading. The "lie" stems from doing whatever it takes to improve the team, because Jarmo assumed that there was no internal cap from ownership. I don't feel like finding the exact quote from The Athletic, but Jarmo said something along the lines of "we haven't had the conversation (about an internal cap with ownership) but we have great ownership who has done whatever it takes to win. They've been very accommodating." This was prior to the draft. Maybe right after that interview he had that meeting and he was told of the cap, and thus speeding along the Anderson-Domi trade along with the trades that follow.

I don't buy the offer sheet PLD fears. If he signs one, then I'll take it back and eat my words, but until then I think its a cover to disguise the cap dumping trades and internal cap that he didn't believe he had to do. He even admits the trades (not the Domi one) sucked.

"He did a couple of strange things I didn't understand that I reconciled by presuming that he was totally going to sign a superstar but it was actually because internal cap/fake offer sheet/the pandemic/he hates us! HE LIED!"

That's not what people are saying at all.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, some fans stupidity amazes me. I bet there are 25+ teams that gets in line if Jarmo was fired. And I bet my house on that CBJ owners are pretty pleased with him so far. You have a playoff-team with capspace for your RFA:s, money to sign UFA:s if they are willing to come there and the man just got Mikko Koivu for 1.5M and some think thats bad!!! ????

Here is torniojaws insert from main boards:

Shots that went through to goal: 82.4 % (career-high)
Face-off wins: 56.3 % (at career average)
Corsi for: 85.5 % (he has never been below 85 in his career, monstrous!)
Fenwick for: 83.8 % (never below 83 in his career)
Points/60: 4.7 (around career average)

And this while hamstring a knee-injury, that is supposed to be ok now!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Very rarely does a GM ever throw ownership under the bus for not spending money. Jarmo pretty well can't say "we have an internal cap and I need to cut some payroll". THat is career suicide (granted other GMs have had that flexibility.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder if ownership took his keys away when he went to them with the Wennberg buyout??? Yeah it saved them money in the long run but it’s paying someone to not play, again. And it was another bad contract. It seemed to be a swift neutering as of noon on Thursday.

If the owners don't understand that buyouts need to happen they should cash out now.

Reactions: lilfedor

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Very rarely does a GM ever throw ownership under the bus for not spending money. Jarmo pretty well can't say "we have an internal cap and I need to cut some payroll". THat is career suicide (granted other GMs have had that flexibility.
As a STH who’s still required to make the payments for season tickets that I likely won’t even get to use this coming season - I tend to feel owed that honesty or at least some explanation.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As I have no faith in any of the top UFAs to significantly improve the team outside of maybe Petro (yes, I'm that ambivalent about any Hall contract we're likely to be obliged to sign), I think it pretty fair to have a generally disapproving preliminary judgment.
I’m in general agreement with you. First off, I’m not a Hall fan. Petro would have been the plus but it would have required a multi step process that most wont like me saying as the corresponding move would have been to make a blockbuster trade of Jones or Z for the top line C or LW we need.

(no way we could wrap up the $$$ in keeping all three D stars)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
One more thing.....While I thought we yielded very little in our moves, it’s hard to be upset about losing Wennberg, Murray, or Nuti based on what they were paid for the roles they played. And Domi for Andy was a plus in my book.

Reactions: Monk

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I will be in the wait and see mode until the next season starts and the final roster is set. Ownership, Jarmo and Torts all have the right to be questioned on this board for their motivations, moves and results. It's been 20 years since the start of this franchise and Jarmo and co. have been here since 2013. Jarmo has a mixed bag of results (good, bad and ugly) in roster moves, trading and draft selection. The team has been competitive the past few years and they have achieved their highest success as a franchise under this leadership group (one playoff series win). I'm sorry but that's not good enough. The roster today is no closer to winning a cup than they were when the season ended even with the addition of a couple of players I like. Everyone on this board knows the weaknesses of this team and they haven't been addressed. The people who for years have spent their hard earned money on season tickets, individual tickets, merchandise, etc., even through the most dismal of times, deserve better. They also have a right to be critical. It's easy enough to put together a history of Jarmos and cos. tenure with the CBJ and form an honest opinion. I'm waiting to see what happens.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As a STH who’s still required to make the payments for season tickets that I likely won’t even get to use this coming season - I tend to feel owed that honesty or at least some explanation.
Thats on the owners not the GM.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I will be in the wait and see mode until the next season starts and the final roster is set. Ownership, Jarmo and Torts all have the right to be questioned on this board for their motivations, moves and results. It's been 20 years since the start of this franchise and Jarmo and co. have been here since 2013. Jarmo has a mixed bag of results (good, bad and ugly) in roster moves, trading and draft selection. The team has been competitive the past few years and they have achieved their highest success as a franchise under this leadership group (one playoff series win). I'm sorry but that's not good enough. The roster today is no closer to winning a cup than they were when the season ended even with the addition of a couple of players I like. Everyone on this board knows the weaknesses of this team and they haven't been addressed. The people who for years have spent their hard earned money on season tickets, individual tickets, merchandise, etc., even through the most dismal of times, deserve better. They also have a right to be critical. It's easy enough to put together a history of Jarmos and cos. tenure with the CBJ and form an honest opinion. I'm waiting to see what happens.
#1 Sure question them but at the same time question who can do better? Torts has taken them to the playoffs every year except that very first one and they have been improving every year. Jarmo has been probably in the top 5 in drafting since hes been here and id say is also in the top 5 for best trades in that time frame. Only thing he has been questionable on is UFA signings and all Gms wanted Horton his year juat ended bad. Outside of that no bad signings but no good. #2 you are saying you see no improvements in the offseason he made a huge offensive move for us already but as far as UFAs are concerned he made offers they just dont want to come it seems. Just like he brought in Bread and Duchene and offered Panarin a better deal by far to stay then NYR but he wanted the city and we offered Duchene but he always was going to Nashville. We cant.force people to sign here. Thats not a knock a Jarmo though. That's a knock on the UFAs character. And #3 the fact that we even have 1 series win is a testament to this current group because the management and teams we had up until like 2015 werent great. We didnt deserve a win. And we got our 2nd playoff win this year knocking out TOR in whatever weird playoffs those were. Not to mention the fact we lost to the eventual SC winner multiple of our 1st round losses. We are still babies in this league it takes time to build a tradition of.winning. umlike LVGK we werent handed a contender through the expansion. There are plenty of other teams with a very similar lack of playoff performance in the same time span that would get on their knees and perform services for the opportunity to just interview GMJK for a spot on their team.

Reactions: thebus88 and db2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad