Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
How, in any way, was the Matt Duchene deal ****ting the bed?

No arguments on Dzingel. That one sucks. But Duchene? I would still do that deal.

Yeah, I think Duchene and Kinkaid trades were both good deals in hindsight. Mcquaid was a bad deal (exacerbated by the injury, but I didn’t like it even before that). The Dzingel trade (in hindsight) was terrible.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
From the athletics CRAIG Cunstance’s agent survey
C476A986-9B4E-4D59-ACA9-7EAB489CF4F0.jpeg

“Jarmo Kekalainen (Blue Jackets). It’s because Jarmo is an enigma. I never can figure out what’s going on with him. He will only speak with vague generalities and always present things like, ‘This is the way it is. And why are you disagreeing with me?’”
“Jarmo Kekalainen … can’t even hide his disdain sometimes if he doesn’t like a situation.”

———

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
From the athletics CRAIG Cunstance’s agent survey
View attachment 316245

“Jarmo Kekalainen (Blue Jackets). It’s because Jarmo is an enigma. I never can figure out what’s going on with him. He will only speak with vague generalities and always present things like, ‘This is the way it is. And why are you disagreeing with me?’”
“Jarmo Kekalainen … can’t even hide his disdain sometimes if he doesn’t like a situation.”

———

It's funny. I'm generally pro-player in a vacuum. That flat method of engagement is not my personal style.

But I have no problem with this MO from Jarmo.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
doesn't surprise me. we've heard things about his negotiating tactics that would imply he would make this list.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Are the agents saying this because he is truly hard to deal with, or are they saying this because they can't manipulate him as easy as some GMs?

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
JK has shown to be very shrewd. He is looking to get very fair deals. Dean Kukan just signed 2 years for an auv $1.6M that looks pretty fair to me maybe a touch high. He hasn't signed many LT deals Dubinsky, Horton and Nyquist all got 4+years. JK is probably only happy with Nyquist's performance understandibly. Now he threw $10M contracts at Bread.. maybe he already knew Bread wouldn't have taken it regardless - he didn't offer Bob $10M thankfully - and I suspect part of that is he realized he sat with Jonas and Elvis at $3.3M combined. I look at some of his deals - he got Bread for Saad, and he got SETH MF JONES for Ryan Johansen. We only see end results: to really judge his effectiveness I would like to know the deals he didn't make. Maybe someday we will. What we do know is we are hot as hell, have 20M of free cap space, will soon be out from under Dubinsky and have a very young core nucleus. PLD is only 21 years old ZW, SJ, OB, CA, MN, JA are under 24 and JK and EM are 26?

Note to Josh Anderson.. we need you as part of our Core.. take Jarmo to dinner yourself and get a game plan in place. If the agent gets in the way fire his arse and get another one.

The last consideration is what has he done in the draft / with picks - better results later than earlier though the only top pick's has had are PLD at 3 and ZW at 8 really showed some world wide knowledge by drafting Nutti, Elvis, Bemstrom, Robinson, Gavrikov. Im glad he took the run last year .. could have done without Dzingel and Adam McQuad and I would love to have seen Wild Bill light it up for us instead of LV, but you can't have everything... or can you?

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
This is first time i have to critizise Jarmo. Im big fan of him and everything he has done for this organization, but this year. Cant find words, offence is just terrible and Jarmo doesnt do anything. We have what 5 potential goalies, where we gonna put them all? Theres highlyranked prospects coming which has to be some value. This organization has been awful 15/20 of its life time and now we are in a breaking point. If theres no big moves coming we are back to same where we was 8years ago. Murray i dont know how the hell he is in. He is great player no doubt, but he just cant play more than 40games, i would trade him to allmost anyone who has cheap contract. Big trades needed at summer or we are doomed. Are we just gonne sit here and wait retirement for Foligno and others or wth we wait? Im done for waiting i have waited 20years and only last season was light at the tunnel but now this way looks like well Detroit.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This is first time i have to critizise Jarmo. Im big fan of him and everything he has done for this organization, but this year. Cant find words, offence is just terrible and Jarmo doesnt do anything. We have what 5 potential goalies, where we gonna put them all? Theres highlyranked prospects coming which has to be some value. This organization has been awful 15/20 of its life time and now we are in a breaking point. If theres no big moves coming we are back to same where we was 8years ago. Murray i dont know how the hell he is in. He is great player no doubt, but he just cant play more than 40games, i would trade him to allmost anyone who has cheap contract. Big trades needed at summer or we are doomed. Are we just gonne sit here and wait retirement for Foligno and others or wth we wait? Im done for waiting i have waited 20years and only last season was light at the tunnel but now this way looks like well Detroit.
Please tell us what he should have done. Team is crushed by injuries all year and as the trade deadline nears they lose defensemen to injury... the only position of strength to trade from. Trading a goalie doesn't get you a forward at the deadline. None of the CBJ goalies are experienced enough to be considered as a center piece at this point in their careers. They also don't have the draft pick capital or available high end prospects top move. Just a tough year given all the events.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I thought we were doomed before this season, yet here we are decimated by injuries yet somehow are actually in the playoff race for the time being. This was another season of growth, a lot of kids got valuable ice time they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. But given that we haven't been healthy I'd wager jarmo will want to see what the team can do while healthy before he makes any major moves.

I think we'll see some moves this off season but nothing major. We do need some more offensive firepower though. I have a feeling we'll see some big moves at the TDL/Off season next year as teams will be scurrying to get ready for the expansion draft.

I will say I think jarmo needs to make a decision on Murray. Kid is a true top pairing Dman when healthy, but disc problems before he's 30 is a humongous red flag. Whether its a trade or LTIR a decision needs to be made. I just don't see how Murray can keep playing when every movement he makes from getting out of bed to bending over and picking something up has to be perfect or he can strain himself. Murray has to think long term and I can't see this vicious cycle continuing much longer.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I thought we were doomed before this season, yet here we are decimated by injuries yet somehow are actually in the playoff race for the time being. This was another season of growth, a lot of kids got valuable ice time they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. But given that we haven't been healthy I'd wager jarmo will want to see what the team can do while healthy before he makes any major moves.

I think we'll see some moves this off season but nothing major. We do need some more offensive firepower though. I have a feeling we'll see some big moves at the TDL/Off season next year as teams will be scurrying to get ready for the expansion draft.

I will say I think jarmo needs to make a decision on Murray. Kid is a true top pairing Dman when healthy, but disc problems before he's 30 is a humongous red flag. Whether its a trade or LTIR a decision needs to be made. I just don't see how Murray can keep playing when every movement he makes from getting out of bed to bending over and picking something up has to be perfect or he can strain himself. Murray has to think long term and I can't see this vicious cycle continuing much longer.

Good post. Agree with your assessment on the Murray situation and the overall injury scenario. Of course, the other big decision regarding the current roster relates to Anderson.

This the offseason Jarmo must solve what’s missing from the roster - the hole at center. We can’t score and that’s not going to change with Wennberg and Jenner being rolled out there nightly in the top 6. And before someone says what about Tex or Bemstrom, I’ll just ask is are more “maybes/ let’s hope/what ifs” what you want opening the year. I’m not talking McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, etc; I’m talking about an 18-23 goal player who has some ability to finish and can drive play.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Good post. Agree with your assessment on the Murray situation and the overall injury scenario. Of course, the other big decision regarding the current roster relates to Anderson.

This the offseason Jarmo must solve what’s missing from the roster - the hole at center. We can’t score and that’s not going to change with Wennberg and Jenner being rolled out there nightly in the top 6. And before someone says what about Tex or Bemstrom, I’ll just ask is are more “maybes/ let’s hope/what ifs” what you want opening the year. I’m not talking McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, etc; I’m talking about an 18-23 goal player who has some ability to finish and can drive play.
I think you're right about the offseason. Jarmo had a great look this year at what's in the pipeline, and they got a lot of real world experience at the top level. They need to get healthy, some of the young guys need to get better, and they need another guy who can score. The offseason will be where the success or failure of this season will be.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I actually think we’re in pretty decent shape, but that could easily be enhanced or made worse this offseason. I’ve mentioned before but I (and maybe Jarmo privately, if not publicly) considered this year a bit of a “throwaway”. That’s fine. No huge harm.

The next few months is the offseason that big, correct decisions need to be made. Do we deal one of our goalies (and if so, which one)? What are we gonna do with Anderson: try to sign him long term, effectively handle it how we did with Panarin (our own rental) or trade him? What do we do with Wennberg? Keep him as an overpaid defensively-solid but weak offensive 2/3 C (and potentially Seattle bait next summer) or buy him out? What to do with Savard? Trade him? Keep him for one more year then let him go? Re-sign him for a few more years? How to enhance the offense? Do you go after a big free agent like Hall? Try a smaller free agent? Trade any of the aforementioned assets either individually or as a package? Do you bridge PLD? Sign him long-term? How much money? Can you trust him as a legitimate 1C given his recent lack of production? Are his Torts comments concerning?

There are a lot of major decisions Jarmo needs to make this summer, and he better make the right call on at least most (ideally all, but no one’s perfect) of them.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I actually think we’re in pretty decent shape, but that could easily be enhanced or made worse this offseason. I’ve mentioned before but I (and maybe Jarmo privately, if not publicly) considered this year a bit of a “throwaway”. That’s fine. No huge harm.

The next few months is the offseason that big, correct decisions need to be made. Do we deal one of our goalies (and if so, which one)? What are we gonna do with Anderson: try to sign him long term, effectively handle it how we did with Panarin (our own rental) or trade him? What do we do with Wennberg? Keep him as an overpaid defensively-solid but weak offensive 2/3 C (and potentially Seattle bait next summer) or buy him out? What to do with Savard? Trade him? Keep him for one more year then let him go? Re-sign him for a few more years? How to enhance the offense? Do you go after a big free agent like Hall? Try a smaller free agent? Trade any of the aforementioned assets either individually or as a package? Do you bridge PLD? Sign him long-term? How much money? Can you trust him as a legitimate 1C given his recent lack of production? Are his Torts comments concerning?

There are a lot of major decisions Jarmo needs to make this summer, and he better make the right call on at least most (ideally all, but no one’s perfect) of them.
Torts should/will be gone before Dubois. He is a 1C, and the best one we have had in a very longs time.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
IF Jarmo turned down Andy for Trochek what are your thoughts?

This is really hard to answer because there are some missing pieces. Trocheck was traded for 2 NHL players and 2 prospects (don't know what level the prospects were). So was this a hypothetical Trocheck for Andy one for one trade. Or were there additional pieces added to Andy that wasn't mentioned in a possible offer that Jarmo turned down. In a one for one that would not be a trade that you turn down. Trocheck would look great up the middle of our team. My bet is if it was true the adds are what prevented a deal getting done.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
IF Jarmo turned down Andy for Trochek what are your thoughts?

.The question is as stated. Not if there were contingencies, draft picks, Korpi, etc involved. Why can't people just answer the question?

My take is if he turned it down it was a bad move for the following reasons:

Trochek could have helped this season, Andy cannot.
Andy's next contract negotiation will be contentious imo, most likely heading to arbitration and then UFA in a year.
Trochek is a better C than any we have bar PLD.
Trochek is cost controlled for 2 more seasons.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It would have been a bad move because:

1. Yeah, it would have weakened Florida for this year. But I doubt even the most optimistic person doesn't think we were Vincent Trochek away from contending. Would it have helped us make the playoffs? Yeah, absolutely. But is it worth selling off the better player? I don't think so.

2. as mentioned in 1, Anderson is arguably the better player. Trochek hasn't been great for Carolina aside from faceoff %, and Florida fans were very happy to see him gone. By their account, he has not been the same player since his horrible leg injury, and that could just be a one year thing or it could be permanent. We don't know.

3. I was an advocate of getting Trochek, but not at the cost of Anderson. Why? Because Anderson plays the exact style of play we want to play. Is there concern with his shoulder injury? Yeah, but I'll take the chance of a recovery on a guy with a shoulder injury rather than leg injury any day of the week.

4. I'm not convinced there is a pending divorce with Anderson incoming, and this rejected deal further proves it to me that the team wants to try to make it work before going with the split option. If Jarmo rejects a deal for Trochek, and arguable 2nd line center, that must mean he thinks he can get something even better.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It would have been a bad move because:

4. I'm not convinced there is a pending divorce with Anderson incoming, and this rejected deal further proves it to me that the team wants to try to make it work before going with the split option. If Jarmo rejects a deal for Trochek, and arguable 2nd line center, that must mean he thinks he can get something even better.

Appreciate your response. As to the bolded, I hope you are right. My fear is he thinks the answer is in the room.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Appreciate your response. As to the bolded, I hope you are right. My fear is he thinks the answer is in the room.
Why would that necessarily be a bad thing? I mean, I get that folks are out of patience with Wennberg and have been for some time, but there's other guys already in the room that can step up. Texier and Foudy are the obvious examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad