The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
IF Jarmo turned down Andy for Trochek what are your thoughts?

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I think it's very dumb, with a few caveats:

1) Why is this being reported by Vancouver beat reporters? Very odd. I don't want to say Ferris is leaking this, but...strange.
2) Do we know if it was straight up? If so, pretty dumb, imo. Trocheck is on a low cap-hit contract for TWO MORE YEARS. He's a pretty steady 50+ point center when healthy, though I wouldn't expect 75 points to be replicated. He'd shore up perhaps our weakest position - C, top 6 specifically. And we'd only have to give up a RW to do it? Now, if Florida wanted, I don't know, Marchenko or two picks, then ok yeah, the deal makes less sense.
3) Does Jarmo expect or have an inclination that negotiations this summer with Anderson will be difficult? Does he know that it's perhaps even likely that Anderson will just go the one-year route - either QO or arbitration? And is likely to walk by July 1, 2021? Because if that's the case, this is probably the best deal you're going to get for him (again, assuming it was 1-for-1).
4) Perhaps most importantly, did the front office know or expect Anderson to be done for the year before the trade deadline? This seems like a hugely important factor in all this - one we may never know.

There are other minor implications/factors to consider - the Seattle Expansion Draft protection list, potentially blocking Texier/Foudy from a center role, if Wennberg is likely to be moved or bought out this summer, if Torts is likely to stick around and how Trocheck might fit into a Torts system, etc. But yeah, if it was 1-for-1? And Jarmo turned it down? That's a really dumb decision.

Given Anderson was injured, what are league rules about trading guys who are injured but not technically on LTIR? Any?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why would that necessarily be a bad thing? I mean, I get that folks are out of patience with Wennberg and have been for some time, but there's other guys already in the room that can step up. Texier and Foudy are the obvious examples.

Those two are purely speculative successes. Trochek is a proven 50+ pt guy. Hopefully both of those guys develop and contribute but there is no proof they will be.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Those two are purely speculative successes. Trochek is a proven 50+ pt guy. Hopefully both of those guys develop and contribute but there is no proof they will be.
I agree with you about those two being purely speculative answers and that’s not the way to start the season. At the same time, I unfortunately see Trochek as damaged goods and not the player many thought would be a good addition.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Pretty impressed with Jarmo. And it seems fans on the mains are as well. He has big brass ones. I’ve followed pro sports long enough to know most GMs would’ve watched this Stanley cup playoffs and been content to keep things the same and hope PLD and other youngins improve. With Jarmo, hope isn’t a strategy.

love the shakeups. Love him unabashedly drafting his guy. He’s still finding the balance of maximizing the present while preserving the future. I think he will improve in this respect

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There’ve been plenty of times Jarmo has opted to ‘grow from within’ or ‘returning injured player is our deadline acquisition.’ He’s also swung out-of-the-blue deals and made the splash at the deadline in 2019.

Jarmo may indeed have brass stones or be drunk, but I’d guess he’s a good GM employing strategies he feels are best to employ at a given time. I do like that he appears to develop a plan and stick to it, while also appearing to be willing to be flexible and take an opportunity that presents itself.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
He doesn’t do anything for no reason. There’s a plan. I may hate the plan when all is said and done, or the plan may end up backfiring on him, but it’s undoubtedly there.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
There are only so many free agents available - and they have to want to join your team and be part of your plan. The players and agents can also use your bid to up the anti from another team that the player really wants to play for. Hell everyone employs these strategies when their services are desired. If we are scorned in the free agent market the true test will be what the contingency plans are for that - who do you target and trade for? The fact that Jarmo was able to take Saad and prospects and turn it in to Panarin makes me realize he knows far better what he is doing than I do. I will wait patiently to find out what unfolds. I am always left wondering what deals were offered, and what did we not know, and though it would be interesting.. it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we shed Ryan Murray & Markus Nuttivara to save JPM a few million and not to make our team better. That will be a huge fail in my book.

Yeah, I can't believe we missed out on all the top UFAs. I really wanted Jacob Markstrom, Torey Krug, Wayne Simmonds, and *checks notes* Braden Holtby.

Chill out. Yeah its frustrating we didn't do anything today, but its not like the top UFAs are gone. Pietrangelo is there, Hall, Toffoli, etc (not necessarily saying I want all of these guys, but the point is the top forwards and defensemen haven't gone anywhere yet except Krug). It'll be fairer to judge Jarmo in a week or so when the dust settles.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If we shed Ryan Murray & Markus Nuttivara to save JPM a few million and not to make our team better. That will be a huge fail in my book.
Nothing like fans spending someone else's money. According to Forbes, in the 2018-19 season, the CBJ lost $13M in arguably our most successful season. I can't imagine what the numbers look like this year with little revenue but full expenses on hand. I don't even want to think about next year with half of the people terrorized they're going to die from the virus. The NHL is a very attendance dependent league due to its paltry TV contract. McConnell has more money than me, but he's not a billionaire and it's my guess he's pretty far from it. While I would be disappointed if it were the case he ordered the payroll to be cut, I certainly would understand.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Nothing like fans spending someone else money. According to Forbes, in the 2018-19 season, the CBJ lost $13M in arguably our most successful season. I can't imagine what the numbers look like this year with little revenue but full expenses on hand. I don't even want to think about next year with half of the people terrorized they're going to die from the virus. The NHL is a very attendance dependent league due to its paltry TV contract. McConnell has more money than me, but he's not a billionaire and it's my guess he's pretty far from it. While I would be disappointed if it were the case he ordered the payroll to be cut, I certainly would understand.
Why should I give a hell if they lose money on a given year? Pro sports teams aren’t meant to put money in owners pockets today, tomorrow or yesterday. They’re meant to appreciate and get sold for massive profits later. Which will happen I promise you. Enough crying poor over $13m. The team has more than doubled in value over the last 15 years

it’s my god damn arena. If they can’t field a team and maximize the cap they can get the f*** out

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Nothing like fans spending someone else's money. According to Forbes, in the 2018-19 season, the CBJ lost $13M in arguably our most successful season. I can't imagine what the numbers look like this year with little revenue but full expenses on hand. I don't even want to think about next year with half of the people terrorized they're going to die from the virus. The NHL is a very attendance dependent league due to its paltry TV contract. McConnell has more money than me, but he's not a billionaire and it's my guess he's pretty far from it. While I would be disappointed if it were the case he ordered the payroll to be cut, I certainly would understand.
NHL TV deal likely will double next year to at least $4 billion in US alone, was already $5 billion in Canada. Jarmo has repeatedly said ownership has given him the green light to spend. I’m not sure where this saving money talk keeps coming from.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Why should I give a hell if they lose money on a given year? Pro sports teams aren’t meant to put money in owners pockets today, tomorrow or yesterday. They’re meant to appreciate and get sold for massive profits later. Which will happen I promise you. Enough crying poor over $13m. The team has more than doubled in value over the last 15 years

it’s my god damn arena. If they can’t field a team and maximize the cap they can get the f*** out
When old man McConnell bought the team, he said he didn't care if it made a profit, that this was a gift to the city. Well, not making profit and losing tens of millions of dollars are not quite the same thing. I don't expect you to worry about McConnell Jrs. finances and I doubt he does too. But you better believe he's looking at the numbers. Another point... whose arena is it again?
I have no inside information on what the Blue Jackets are going to do, but to demand the ownership spend right up to the cap when more than a few teams in the league don't do it, is really unfair.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
When old man McConnell bought the team, he said he didn't care if it made a profit, that this was a gift to the city. Well, not making profit and losing tens of millions of dollars are not quite the same thing. I don't expect you too worry about McConnell Jrs. finances and I doubt he does too. But you better believe he's looking at the numbers. Another point... whose arena is it again?
I have no inside information on what the Blue Jackets are going to do, but to demand the ownership spend right up to the cap when more than a few teams in the league don't do it, is really unfair.
Jarmo made it clear, the ownership is on board to ice a winning team, I want to believe him

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, I can't believe we missed out on all the top UFAs. I really wanted Jacob Markstrom, Torey Krug, Wayne Simmonds, and *checks notes* Braden Holtby.

Chill out. Yeah its frustrating we didn't do anything today, but its not like the top UFAs are gone. Pietrangelo is there, Hall, Toffoli, etc (not necessarily saying I want all of these guys, but the point is the top forwards and defensemen haven't gone anywhere yet except Krug). It'll be fairer to judge Jarmo in a week or so when the dust settles.
As I have no faith in any of the top UFAs to significantly improve the team outside of maybe Petro (yes, I'm that ambivalent about any Hall contract we're likely to be obliged to sign), I think it pretty fair to have a generally disapproving preliminary judgment.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As I have no faith in any of the top UFAs to significantly improve the team outside of maybe Petro (yes, I'm that ambivalent about any Hall contract we're likely to be obliged to sign), I think it pretty fair to have a generally disapproving preliminary judgment.

I agree on Petro being the only definite significant improvement.

But we're not just playing the FA game, or perhaps we're not playing it at all. Jarmo just said he's not a believer in FA, he's looking for players via trade. Max Pacioretty is probably more plausible than a lot of these FAs.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Sure, but it’s not over. Every big name guy on the market (both UFA and trade) didn’t move yet. So it’s not like there’s no hope for additions. Well see

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree on Petro being the only definite significant improvement.

But we're not just playing the FA game, or perhaps we're not playing it at all. Jarmo just said he's not a believer in FA, he's looking for players via trade. Max Pacioretty is probably more plausible than a lot of these FAs.
It is my contention that trade was largely eliminated as a viable path when he decided to dump most of our depth. By removing most of the guys who'd step up, he pretty much committed to the UFA path.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
All it takes is one sick trade to change the entire face of this team so until it's settled that nothing will be done after unloading salary I'll try my best to be patient. We had to essentially pay to move salary and didn't bleed ourselves doing so. Wondering if we should be taking bets on who his target is through all of this! I'd take a bet but given Jarmo's history of snipe shots in trades/signings I'd probably get it wrong.

Here's to hoping tomorrow is a bit more active of a market and trades

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Apologies if this has been raised but is it possible the CBJ are cutting costs not because they are making space for an addition but rather because... they just need to cut costs?

Finances have been a historic struggle for the team and I don't see any way the pandemic has helped that.

Just a thought.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Apologies if this has been raised but is it possible the CBJ are cutting costs not because they are making space for an addition but rather because... they just need to cut costs?

Finances have been a historic struggle for the team and I don't see any way the pandemic has helped that.

Just a thought.

Even though the opposite has been stated. I wonder this too. Money was dumped under the guise of acquiring a big name. Only to find there was no deals to be made despite the efforts.

Oh well. Mgmnt saved lots of money and saved face.

I won't be refreshing twitter all day today though bc yesterday sucked and was anti-climactic as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->