The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The team with the playoff type build, always a threat and has one playoff series win in history when they gave away a bunch of assets to go 'all in". Yeah you have me convinced.
It's difficult to develop a playoff win history when you keep meeting the eventual Stanley Cup winner in the first round. And the one time we didn't do that, we ended up meeting the Stanley Cup runner up in the second.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I said a bubble team. There's nothing wrong with that. You and Major acting like I think they're a last place team.
No, you're acting like they're not even a playoff team. Because that's what it means when you say they're a "bubble team" - they're not good enough to secure even a playoff spot. That they'd have to have good fortune to be there.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
No, you're acting like they're not even a playoff team. Because that's what it means when you say they're a "bubble team" - they're not good enough to secure even a playoff spot. That they'd have to have good fortune to be there.

Yes we agree. They are not a lock for the playoffs. Bubble team.

Edit: My opinion.....not yours.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes we agree. They are not a lock for the playoffs. Bubble team.

Edit: My opinion.....not yours.
Which is an absurd position, and worthy of the scorn you are receiving. The Devils are not a better team; their pieces haven't matured and even with Murray their defense is threadbare. The Rangers are not (yet) a better team; their defense is almost as bad as the Devils' and they've got even more consistency question marks than we do. The Penguins are in a middle of a slow slide into the abyss. The Islanders are our evil twin - they don't have as much star power on defense but they're more committed to the prevent game and better at it, so it works for them - but we can compete with them just fine. Having an actual #2C draws us about level with Philadelphia. Carolina is still rolling the dice in net and having it somehow work out for them, so that can still be potentially exploited. And Washington looked terrible in the playoffs.

We're not a favorite mostly because Tampa Bay is still formidable and just proved they know how to win, Colorado is arguably right up there with them and Vegas has gotten even closer, and we're not clearly ahead of many of the other teams; we're just their peers and so it is very possible for us to be beaten. But we are NOT a "struggle to make the playoffs" team. Not unless we get seriously destroyed by injuries - which will cripple anybody.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Which is an absurd position, and worthy of the scorn you are receiving. The Devils are not a better team; their pieces haven't matured and even with Murray their defense is threadbare. The Rangers are not (yet) a better team; their defense is almost as bad as the Devils' and they've got even more consistency question marks than we do. The Penguins are in a middle of a slow slide into the abyss. The Islanders are our evil twin - they don't have as much star power on defense but they're more committed to the prevent game and better at it, so it works for them - but we can compete with them just fine. Having an actual #2C draws us about level with Philadelphia. Carolina is still rolling the dice in net and having it somehow work out for them, so that can still be potentially exploited. And Washington looked terrible in the playoffs.

We're not a favorite mostly because Tampa Bay is still formidable and just proved they know how to win, Colorado is arguably right up there with them and Vegas has gotten even closer, and we're not clearly ahead of many of the other teams; we're just their peers and so it is very possible for us to be beaten. But we are NOT a "struggle to make the playoffs" team. Not unless we get seriously destroyed by injuries - which will cripple anybody.
I don’t know, I think we are a bubble team as well. I like the Canes, Caps, Flyers and Pens coming out of the Metro. We will battle with NYI and FLA for the last spot imo. But still a good chance.

7th-10th place in the conference, a bubble team. IMO if you are a lock, you should be expecting home ice. I don’t think we expect that from this team. We have gotten better though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t know, I think we are a bubble team as well. I like the Canes, Caps, Flyers and Pens coming out of the Metro. We will battle with NYI and FLA for the last spot imo. But still a good chance.

7th-10th place in the conference, a bubble team. IMO if you are a lock, you should be expecting home ice. I don’t think we expect that from this team. We have gotten better though.

I could see "bubble team" for Columbus but that characterization I would extend to most of the Eastern teams. I don't think there will be many locks this year. Carolina is the only Metro team I think is a lock. I don't think Philly is better than Columbus and I think Pittsburgh and Washington are paper tigers at this point.

No particular order inside the tiers:

Tampa
Carolina

--------------------

Boston
Washington
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
Columbus
Toronto
Florida
Montreal
Buffalo
NY Rangers
Pittsburgh

-------------------

New Jersey
Ottawa
Detroit

I wouldn't be surprised if the cup winner came out of that middle tier. "Bubble team" doesn't really mean much.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Yea Columbus isn't a bubble team, we have more depth and a better defense than almost any team in the Metro imo. We lack top end scoring that prevents us from winning a Cup but struggling to make the playoffs? I dont see it unless things go terribly wrong and everyone just plays awfully. Solid in Goal, great defense, just need to score goals consistently.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is a lot to be excited about for next season. People are just laser-focused on getting a big UFA name and are missing the most important stuff (no not Domi, although that is a serious help): internal improvement - internal decline. The very thing people explode about when Jarmo says it is also how great teams are always built and is also the thing that usually explains why teams move up and down year to year. Tampa didn't build a cup winner from UFA signings, or from trades, or from drafting #1OA. Their key young players just got better and better. We can only hope to be so fortunate. But there is a lot to be excited about with Dubois, Werenski, and Jones. They were all amazing in the playoffs, if they bring that in the regular season, then we're solidly in that top ten of teams. Signings and trades aren't going to make as big a difference for this team unless Jarmo lands a really big fish in trade, someone far better than Taylor Hall.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yea Columbus isn't a bubble team, we have more depth and a better defense than almost any team in the Metro imo. We lack top end scoring that prevents us from winning a Cup but struggling to make the playoffs? I dont see it unless things go terribly wrong and everyone just plays awfully. Solid in Goal, great defense, just need to score goals consistently.

But for a technicality this wasn't going to be a playoff team in 2020.

Did we get significantly better? I don't think so.

Reactions: Cowumbus

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Just to put it out there everyone mad at our returns for murray and nuti look what schmidt just got for LVGK. Dont know if this was already mentioned in here but you can clearly see its not JK making bad moves its just theres not many options in the flat cap pandemic league. Clearly Benning isnt a genious that stole that trade he was in a place of good fortune. Just another time when you look at the moves under a larger scope and look at the broader catagories what happened here wasnt something long term people can hold againat Jarmo.

Reactions: traffic cone

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Just to put it out there everyone mad at our returns for murray and nuti look what schmidt just got for LVGK. Dont know if this was already mentioned in here but you can clearly see its not JK making bad moves its just theres not many options in the flat cap pandemic league. Clearly Benning isnt a genious that stole that trade he was in a place of good fortune. Just another time when you look at the moves under a larger scope and look at the broader catagories what happened here wasnt something long term people can hold againat Jarmo.
You’re correct but Vegas was desperate. I don’t think we were.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think the part many fans dont understand is the season is going to be either shortened and very tough scheduled or cancelled. This has owners on their feet and maybe not willing to spend for nothing. There is also a chance owners see the team playoff ready and wanting to have space to do some real splash at TDL. Imagine having 10M space at TDL, when not playoff bound teams cut salary? You can add 3 impact players then if needed. 10M at TDL is like 20-25M now. Jarmo did try to go over the top earlier at TDL, so who knows if that is the plan?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think bubble team is fair. Last season we finished in 9th place (arguable with games in hand you could argue 8th place). That's not a playoff lock.

So yes I think the CBJ are likely to make the playoffs. But like most years it's likely to be as a Wild Card and tough match up in round 1.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
But the fact is WE HAVE struggled to make the playoffs. This we made teh playoffs only because of teh change in format. Last year we made the playoffs on the last day of the season. So for the past two years we have definitely been a "bubble team". I think the point is valid that most of the Eastern teams are "bubble teams". This coming year ????? Not sure yet. But if Texier is written in as a first line left wing and he produces no more than 30 points, we definitely are a bubble team. If Cam is written in as a second line right wing and his ankles continue to slow him down, we are probably a bubble team.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Heard a lot about "flat cap" - is it still possible the cap goes down after next season? Seems to me like revenue will continue to take a hit through next season at least.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Heard a lot about "flat cap" - is it still possible the cap goes down after next season?

I think the CBA negotiated a flat cap for 3 years. So, no (unless I totally misunderstood) the cap cannot go down for 3 seasons. Then it can move.

The thinking was that the owners would be short on revenue next year but the players wouldn’t have to absorb a cap crunch. Revenues should be back and better after the new U.S. television deal in two years and the new Canadian deal in 3 years.

Reactions: Monk

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

We've been the definition of "struggle to make the playoffs" the last three seasons - and wouldn't have in 2020 but for the pandemic / pause to the season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Had the Jackets been eliminated from playoff contention at the time the season was suspended? I mean, I get that ‘bubble team’ is accurate but people are saying the team would have been out of the playoffs except for the pandemic? Possible yes but not certain.

I suspect major’s notion of a large bubble is pretty close (meaning I may quibble with placement of a team in isolation but agree with the premise). That’s pretty much been the way of it in the East the last few seasons.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
My rankings (subject to change beaded on future signings)

Tampa
Boston
NY Islanders
Carolina

———
Philadelphia
Washington

———
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Toronto

———
Florida
Montreal
Buffalo
NY Rangers

———
New Jersey
Ottawa
Detroit

I’d say 4 locks (barring several injuries) and 3 teams with no hope. 9 teams in the middle that will be sorted out by injuries, goalie play, how veterans age, and how youngsters progress.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012

If the intent of the moves was to re-allocate cap space from the 3rd defense pair to the top 6 forwards, and they do that, I am all in. If teams are feeling the pinch then that opportunity should be there. If they do nothing, it looks like they were just trying to cut costs.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My rankings (subject to change beaded on future signings)

Tampa
Boston
NY Islanders
Carolina

———
Philadelphia
Washington

———
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Toronto

———
Florida
Montreal
Buffalo
NY Rangers

———
New Jersey
Ottawa
Detroit

I’d say 4 locks (barring several injuries) and 3 teams with no hope. 9 teams in the middle that will be sorted out by injuries, goalie play, how veterans age, and how youngsters progress.

No clever/silly group names?

Reactions: koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: