The Hitch Thread

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I heard Drew Remenda on the radio today in Saskatchewan.

He said Hitch has made zero changes. The only reason we’ve been winning is the goalies save %.

And he thought the game last night was horrible. Oilers should have been all over the Flames since it was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Remenda really is awful.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I heard Drew Remenda on the radio today in Saskatchewan.

He said Hitch has made zero changes. The only reason we’ve been winning is the goalies save %.

And he thought the game last night was horrible. Oilers should have been all over the Flames since it was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Wow he is delusional then. Yeah the team just magically started playing better, no changes whatsoever.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I'm sure you are familiar with the expected save % based on shot quality:

upload_2018-12-11_16-36-38.png

xSv% = the save % an average NHL goalie would have, if he faced the same quality shots
dSv% = percentage below or above an average goalie

xSv% shows that Oilers have one of the top teams in limiting high danger shots. This will automatically make the goalie look better, even though it's the players that are closing down the "red zone" area that Hitch talks about. That being said, Koskinen has done excellent (way above average), even with the low quality of shots.

edit: Note that this list is arranged based on the expected save percentage (shot quality), so these are not the best goalies, but rather the best defensive teams and how their goalies have done.

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Why does he even call oilers games? He's obviously not a fan so he has no interest in us besides Mcdavid; and even when Mcdavid does something awesome in game he just goes "what can I say? I'm out of words!"
I disagree with him on this take but imo he is better then Louie.

Debrusk and his "analysis" feel like elementary school level. All the buzz words and no depth.

Maybe I got spoiled when we had Ferraro but I dont need a Homer color commentator, Debrusk a bit too safe for me.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

Debrusk and his "analysis" feel like elementary school level. All the buzz words and no depth.

Maybe I got spoiled when we had Ferraro but I dont need a Homer color commentator, Debrusk a bit too safe for me.

Ferraro's one of the best for sure. Ever since he did the EA NHL voicing though, I get this strange twilight zone feeling anytime i listen to his broadcasts now because I feel like I'm in a videogame

space321

May 11, 2011
What's wrong with Remenda? I like it when he calls the plays for what they are instead being a homer.

Reactions: La Bamba

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What's wrong with Remenda? I like it when he calls the plays for what they are instead being a homer.

I definitely like Remenda and for this reason. Really wasn't his fault that the Oilers were almost always garbage.

It's fair to acknowledge that he's not exactly objective on the topic of Todd McLellan, though.

space321

May 11, 2011
I definitely like Remenda and for this reason. Really wasn't his fault that the Oilers were almost always garbage.

It's fair to acknowledge that he's not exactly objective on the topic of Todd McLellan, though.

I don't know the details about who's side he's on, but I can say he isn't exactly off base when evaluating what Hitchcock has done. We've won all our games by 1 goal except when we thrashed Minnesota. Those numbers aren't exactly sustainable long term. We've been getting lucky. Hitchcock's arrival might've rejuvinated the team to make them play better so it's not like he hasn't done anything, but when I'm watch the game, I still feel like some games could've been lost if a bounce went the wrong way.

I'm not convinced on anything until we start dominating games start to finish on a consistent basis. Squeaking 1 goal wins will eventually catch up to us.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Wow he is delusional then. Yeah the team just magically started playing better, no changes whatsoever.

He specifically went out of his way to bring Puljujarvi from the AHL to the 2nd line. And created his "identity line"

He may not have re invented the Oilers system but he has been managing the team, goalies and games much better than TMac was and I'm sure he is pushing the players as well.

Remenda is clueless there. He may be referring to something specific in terms of structure but is missing a lot of fairly large improvements.

Reactions: elmeroil

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He specifically went out of his way to bring Puljujarvi from the AHL to the 2nd line. And created his "identity line"

He may not have re invented the Oilers system but he has been managing the team, goalies and games much better than TMac was and I'm sure he is pushing the players as well.

Remenda is clueless there. He may be referring to something specific in terms of structure but is missing a lot of fairly large improvements.

I think the comments on the gameplay structure of the team is fair... I don't think he has had enough practices to change much and is likely focused on improving what the team is already doing... however, he has been drilling in a few keys points into the system here and there for sure.

What I will say objectively though is that the coaching decisions he is making are making a difference so far. Calling proper time outs, making really good challenges so far, and his line matching have thus far been a pretty big net positive and are part of the reason we have won some games.

You also gotta give credit where credit is due. I think Hitch gets too much credit in some areas, but he also deserves a lot of props in others.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

Yep, and Hitch's in-game coaching is so noticeable... I mean, we've had almost a time-out per game in, what, the past 5 games?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
As it stands right now they would have to push a player to play above his pay grade.
I think once Sekera comes back it might give the team some options...assuming of course he is at least able to get to about 80%.
The team just doesnt have enough top 4 depth but they should be able to make this work a little better as is. More attention to detail is all thats required here.

Very interesting decisions coming up to say the least . Rieder and Caggiula are close . Sekera could be back in January. The 1st injury (knee) is completely healed and doesn’t need a brace. Good problems to have

Reactions: Oilhawks

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I think the comments on the gameplay structure of the team is fair... I don't think he has had enough practices to change much and is likely focused on improving what the team is already doing... however, he has been drilling in a few keys points into the system here and there for sure.

What I will say objectively though is that the coaching decisions he is making are making a difference so far. Calling proper time outs, making really good challenges so far, and his line matching have thus far been a pretty big net positive and are part of the reason we have won some games.

You also gotta give credit where credit is due. I think Hitch gets too much credit in some areas, but he also deserves a lot of props in others.

Some things you can see though, such as the forwards coming down lower to support in the d-zone, all five players moving more as a unit. A two man forecheck.

Reactions: Satire

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

I strongly disagree. DeBrusk doesn't blather on about nothing (as Remenda is like to do) and keeps things pretty straightforward and basic, but I think that's what makes him enjoyable to listen to (he's just a lot more likable than a guy like Remenda, as well). Ferraro has probably been the best colour guy since he started calling games, though (back in 03/04 or 05/06 for us, if I remember correctly).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Very interesting decisions coming up to say the least . Rieder and Caggiula are close . Sekera could be back in January. The 1st injury (knee) is completely healed and doesn’t need a brace. Good problems to have

Hopefully Klefbom isnt going to be out more than a couple of weeks. The team can likely weather the storm for 2 weeks but they need Russell. Without Russell the team is in trouble.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It will be interesting to see how Hitch deploys the Dmen in tomorrows game. 3rd game in 4 nights and due to injuries the minutes have been piled onto the top 2 dmen.
Hitch has to spread the minutes out against the Flyers and thats tricky because he is working with 2 top 4 dmen and has to figure out how to use the glut of remaining bottom 6 dmen to round out the top 4.
Not an easy task even for Hitch.

The smart money says they don't win the game tomorrow.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It will be interesting to see how Hitch deploys the Dmen in tomorrows game. 3rd game in 4 nights and due to injuries the minutes have been piled onto the top 2 dmen.
Hitch has to spread the minutes out against the Flyers and thats tricky because he is working with 2 top 4 dmen and has to figure out how to use the glut of remaining bottom 6 dmen to round out the top 4.
Not an easy task even for Hitch.

The smart money says they don't win the game tomorrow.

The smart money was on us not getting a point last night either. If the Flyers truly have poor goaltending then we need to take advantage of it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hopefully Klefbom isnt going to be out more than a couple of weeks. The team can likely weather the storm for 2 weeks but they need Russell. Without Russell the team is in trouble.
Russell is on IR so that’s a min two weeks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm sure you are familiar with the expected save % based on shot quality:

View attachment 163955

xSv% = the save % an average NHL goalie would have, if he faced the same quality shots
dSv% = percentage below or above an average goalie

xSv% shows that Oilers have one of the top teams in limiting high danger shots. This will automatically make the goalie look better, even though it's the players that are closing down the "red zone" area that Hitch talks about. That being said, Koskinen has done excellent (way above average), even with the low quality of shots.

edit: Note that this list is arranged based on the expected save percentage (shot quality), so these are not the best goalies, but rather the best defensive teams and how their goalies have done.

Thanks for sharing that chart. Do you know where Talbot landing on the list of expected sav%? Curious to compare the teams quality shot suppression when he was in net.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers will just have to play a solid, efficient game to take the stress off of the dmen they have. The forwards really have to take ownership on how this team plays in their own end, and of course, the goaltending will need to continue to be the wild card that keeps us above water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad