The Hitch Thread

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I also think a big difference is the passes are shorter in the defensive zone, so they are more accurate. We always seemed to look for a stretch pass breaking out that just wasn't there. That is where puck possession and maintaining control in our end is much more efficient. It almost seemed at time as if we were killing a penalty all game. With the players that much closer together in our zone, the times of an opponent being comically wide open are getting fewer and fewer.

100%. puck support and playing as a tighter 5 man unit is huge. even puck support defensively as far as if a player slips up and gets beat he has confidence that someone on his team is there to cover for him as he gets himself back into a useful position on the ice.

part of this is the midset of "play FOR each other". they definitley knew pre-hitch that playing as a tighter 5 man unit and puck support is huge but their actions didn't show it. they looked more like they feigned effort and buy in and that step or two too slow to the proper support position etc makes all the difference in the world. it looks for now like the buy in is there,

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Hitch's teams have always been tough to play against. The relentless forecheck and lack of space his team gives you causes fits and tires teams out. I remember hating playing the Stars in the regular season and playoffs for all of the years he coached them. Man were those some aggravating games/series. Love that he's on our bench now!

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Hitch's teams have always been tough to play against. The relentless forecheck and lack of space his team gives you causes fits and tires teams out. I remember hating playing the Stars in the regular season and playoffs for all of the years he coached them. Man were those some aggravating games/series. Love that he's on our bench now!

totally. the relentless and CONSISTENT backcheck too. it's so frustrating for the opposing offensive players trying to break into our zone when you have that hard relentless backcheck taking away time, space and options. absolutely tires the opposition out physically and mentally. suffocating them out. wearing them down.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
totally. the relentless and CONSISTENT backcheck too. it's so frustrating for the opposing offensive players trying to break into our zone when you have that hard relentless backcheck taking away time, space and options. absolutely tires the opposition out physically and mentally. suffocating them out. wearing them down.

Someone on the board made a post saying they haven't seen the team play like this since the 06 playoffs. I was thinking the same thing the last few games, Mac t had the team playing such a suffocating style of hockey in that run. I remember in one of the press conferences Mac t was asked about his team playing the Trap.
He grinned and said something like it's not a trap it's more like a "press".

That year I learned that whatever system results in wins works for me. I don't care if McDavid wins scoring titles, I want this team to compete hard get to the playoffs and potentially compete for a Stanley Cup. I would love to see Hitch stay for a few years and try to make that happen.

Reactions: McNuge and HK97

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Something that I bet helps Hitch get his message across so quickly with a group, like he did here so far, is his use of concepts to try to change the way players think. Concepts can probably change players behavior a lot quicker than going over X's and O's. The most broad one we've heard multiple times now is the idea that when you have the puck, that's for you, when you don't, that's for us. That's a good thought to plant in players minds to get them to get on the same page playing a system. It's simple, but it's completely the right way to think when you're playing a team sport, and I think we can all say pretty easily that our players did not look like they had that kind of idea in their head for a long time now.

Lots of other little examples, like how he is trying to tell the D that they don't have to be as concerned about zone play once the puck crosses our blue line, they need to get more involved and not be so conservative. He told Pulju that he has been playing based on zones too hard as well, coasting once he crosses the blue line. The idea that OZ possession is #1 now, and one of the big goals of lines, especially the identity line is to get the opposing defenders playing straight legged (tired), and that's when you want to try to strike and the best opportunities will come. No more trying to go for the quick kill every time you enter the zone, or just dumping in and hoping you can get it back. Our lines need to be more patient and value possession more, and I think that is really showing up well with the play of our bottom 3 lines.

Lots of other little ones that have come out from his interviews as well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How do we all feel about Hitch's system so far? I noticed a lot of fans on opponent teams throwing out the "ol' Hitchcock trap" posts out there but I haven't seen the trap thus far, at least not in the conventional sense of a 2-2-1 formation. What I see is often 2 forwards pressuring in the offensive zone, often causing turn overs and ultimately funnelling opposing team's breakouts towards one of the walls where the third forward and a dman with close gap closes off and forces a bad pass or a dump in.

It's definitely not a passive sit back and wait tactic which the oilers often reverted to (maybe instinctually?) under Tmac. Personally I like it.

The pk scheme is certainly passive. We have clear instruction for the players to line up on the blueline. The last time I saw that being an effective approach was the 1970's. I like Hitch, really I do, but this is not a proper scheme, hopefully its only something the team is doing until it can redress more NZ issues on the pk. Because this CANNOT stay as is. It will get torn apart by better coached clubs than Calgary.

I think the reality is we're not really seeing too much Hitch Hockey schemes yet. We're actually seeing quite a few that the Oilers were SUPPOSED to be doing under McLellan for instance the quick short pass breakout. Its as if Hitch took the playbook laying around and is just instructing it better until theres time to introduce other schemes.

As Hitch himself has stated he will institute changes here and there, as time allows. He stated he doesn't want to try to change everything and that the team already had a lot of work.

The thing that Hitch has done the most of here is reshape positivity, enjoying the moment, coming to the rink smiling, being relaxed, confident, that kind of stuff. These things are important. He has, for the time being, adjusted the headspace of the club.

Reactions: nightfighter

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The pk scheme is certainly passive. We have clear instruction for the players to line up on the blueline. The last time I saw that being an effective approach was the 1970's. I like Hitch, really I do, but this is not a proper scheme, hopefully its only something the team is doing until it can redress more NZ issues on the pk. Because this CANNOT stay as is. It will get torn apart by better coached clubs than Calgary.

I think the reality is we're not really seeing too much Hitch Hockey schemes yet. We're actually seeing quite a few that the Oilers were SUPPOSED to be doing under McLellan for instance the quick short pass breakout. Its as if Hitch took the playbook laying around and is just instructing it better until theres time to introduce other schemes.

As Hitch himself has stated he will institute changes here and there, as time allows. He stated he doesn't want to try to change everything and that the team already had a lot of work.

The thing that Hitch has done the most of here is reshape positivity, enjoying the moment, coming to the rink smiling, being relaxed, confident, that kind of stuff. These things are important. He has, for the time being, adjusted the headspace of the club.

Players must have really hated Todd because they were stretching things out making life hard for D for over a year straight, and the endless camping out just inside our blue line waiting for the rings around if the battle was happening down low. They did before last season too, just the whole league didn't have the book written on us yet, and once they did, we were happy to make things easy for them and never change. Hitch specifically pointed at getting forwards deeper as one of the first adjustments he was pushing for.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Players must have really hated Todd because they were stretching things out making life hard for D for over a year straight, and the endless camping out just inside our blue line waiting for the rings around if the battle was happening down low. They did before last season too, just the whole league didn't have the book written on us yet, and once they did, we were happy to make things easy for them and never change. Hitch specifically pointed at getting forwards deeper as one of the first adjustments he was pushing for.

Yes, but in fairness this was what we were hearing, and the players were instructed to do in September. They just decided, mostly, not to do it. Its not a different scheme, its the same one that was being voiced and reported from seasons start. nice to see the team execute the game plan.

Some of this is just new voice and players being tired of listening to the old one. So I still worry a bit about shelf-life of retention to scheme. Also as stated, in the lack of PMD here with any specific acumen for the assignment I worry about quick outlet movement too. Sometimes it works, sometimes the red light is flashing after you just turned the puck over in own zone.

The trouble, as always is we lack the type of players and depth to execute the schemes we ideally want to do. No coach cures all that.

In the 90's Ronnie Low simplified the schemes because he knew he had Jason Smith and Steve Staios as top D and it just got worse after that. We're not as far removed from that type of D transition as we'd want to think. Reality is this core lineup of D is not all that great at puck transition, even if forwards are close.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Great thread. Love talking and reading about systems and strategies. Much more enjoyable than the usual “this player is trash” or “need to switch the lines up”.

I hate man to man D because if a player gets beat it’s an automatic 2 on 1 situation. When the players say they feel more support, it’s legitimately true. If they get beat, they know there is a defender rotating over to help.

Interested to see this continue to develop over the year as the players get more comfortable and Hitch gets more practice time with the team. Hoping to see some changes to the PP and PK as well.

Thanks again for this thread. Well done.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

agree... sounds kinda like a bit of a ..... culture change. don't underestimate the power of proper culture. did wonders for vegas last year. just holding players to a higher standard. backchecking hard 80% of the time is not good enough. it has to be 100% of the time. NO exceptions. you see this happening now. wouldn't be surprised if hitch is pointing out almost every single incident of slight lapse in effort or attention to detail. strive for perfection. he keeps saying playing FOR each other and not with each other is part of the reason for success. this is culture. they had a similar mantra in 2016-17 but somehow the message faded. gotta buy in to the culture.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Todd Mclellan: I have no answers.

Hitchcock: I know what's wrong, give me about 8 or 9 days.

Lol how amateur did he make our former coach look. Does this look worse on Chiarelli for keeping him so long or worse on Mclellan for being so bad?

I said last Janury that I was shocked TMac wasn't fired the day he said during his daily press conference that he didn't know how to fix the PK that was 1st on the road & last @ home.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
His presser from today. He gives a coaching clinic every time he steps in front of a mike. Lots of takeaways from this one and refreshing honesty.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
His presser from today. He gives a coaching clinic every time he steps in front of a mike. Lots of takeaways from this one and refreshing honesty.

lol, why does every interview he does sound like he's bashing McLellan. I know he isn't, but so many opposite of McLellan rants he does. This time being making sure the backup keeps some kind of rhythm and doesn't go ice cold. That's opposite to the McLellan method. Ride one guy to death, backup finally goes in ice cold after sitting for 1-2 months and fails. Then god forbid the starter struggles at all, because then you're scared to play the ice cold backup again, and everything goes to straight to hell.

I bet we wouldn't have seen Talbot again until January if McLellan wasn't fired. Unless Koskinen hit his first tough skid.

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
In the presser today he also say we are at 60% of what we are capable of starting at around the 5:50 mark. Which he says is just fine for where we are right now.

Pretty bold statement. Although that really isn't a winning or losing thing, I would guess it's more about playing the right way. Even though we have won 7 of our last ten there is still room to perfect our game. Love it.

I also still laugh thinking about how he said he would need 8 or 9 days to straighten out the team hahah. Wasn't wrong.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
In the presser today he also say we are at 60% of what we are capable of starting at around the 5:50 mark. Which he says is just fine for where we are right now.

Pretty bold statement. Although that really isn't a winning or losing thing, I would guess it's more about playing the right way. Even though we have won 7 of our last ten there is still room to perfect our game. Love it.

I also still laugh thinking about how he said he would need 8 or 9 days to straighten out the team hahah. Wasn't wrong.

And wasn't it just a little over a week ago when he said the system is still 98% the same?

It's certainly impressive that besides a few system tweaks, our recent success can mostly be attributed to culture change, tremendous leadership ability, and his innate ability to push each individual player on the team and put them in positions to succeed.

We're at 60% right now because Hitchcock hasn't had enough time to completely throw out McClellan's philosophies. It makes me even more excited to see what he can do with additional full practices with the team. He has been able to find success in such a short time that I'm excited about the long-term Hitchcock effect.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
lol, why does every interview he does sound like he's bashing McLellan. I know he isn't, but so many opposite of McLellan rants he does. This time being making sure the backup keeps some kind of rhythm and doesn't go ice cold. That's opposite to the McLellan method. Ride one guy to death, backup finally goes in ice cold after sitting for 1-2 months and fails. Then god forbid the starter struggles at all, because then you're scared to play the ice cold backup again, and everything goes to straight to hell.

I bet we wouldn't have seen Talbot again until January if McLellan wasn't fired. Unless Koskinen hit his first tough skid.

Every time he says "I don't know what was happening here before," it's basically a polite way of saying "WTF was Todd doing?"

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

He has this humble confidence about him that I love. He's secure enough in his ability that he can joke about his own intelligence, but you just know that in the locker room he lays down the law with 100% conviction. Something you never sensed with Todd.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I heard Drew Remenda on the radio today in Saskatchewan.

He said Hitch has made zero changes. The only reason we’ve been winning is the goalies save %.

And he thought the game last night was horrible. Oilers should have been all over the Flames since it was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I heard Drew Remenda on the radio today in Saskatchewan.

He said Hitch has made zero changes. The only reason we’ve been winning is the goalies save %.

And he thought the game last night was horrible. Oilers should have been all over the Flames since it was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Remenda is a TMac disciple and I think close friend of his. I’m not sure it’s a very objective take.

Reactions: snipes and Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Remenda is a TMac disciple and I think close friend of his. I’m not sure it’s a very objective take.

Yeah, I mean McDavid is coming down lower in the defensive zone for puck support than I've ever seen him do (no more coasting!). Clearly Hitch has instilled a different structure and mindset here.

The best thing is that they've scored two goals in the last two games EXACTLY because of that structure, so you can bet McDavid has fully bought in now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, I mean McDavid is coming down lower in the defensive zone for puck support than I've ever seen him do (no more coasting!). Clearly Hitch has instilled a different structure and mindset here.

The best thing is that they've scored two goals in the last two games EXACTLY because of that structure, so you can bet McDavid has fully bought in now.

I think McDavid is 1000% behind the change. He was pissed after the Vegas loss. Didn’t even go on the ice after being announced as a game star. You knew after that game TMac was done.

Reactions: guymez

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I almost get teary-eyed listening to his pressers. No more Mclellan or Eakins trying to educate us on what the sport of hockey is.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Some more interesting viewing.

Funny how all these media outlets and personalities that claimed it wasn’t TMac’s fault and what a great coach he was are now clamouring over one another to produce pieces about the “new, improved Oilers under Hitch”.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad