The Hitch Thread

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The smart money was on us not getting a point last night either. If the Flyers truly have poor goaltending then we need to take advantage of it.

They did well for sure. I was happy with a point in that game.
Just dont think the depleted defence is a recipe for ongoing success especially with the workload being put on these bottom pairing dmen in such a short time frame.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's seven days from the time of the injury. Then he can return.

That did seem too long to me...just about to spend the time to confirm if it was in fact less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for saving me the time. :nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
DueOBVYU0AAY_mx.jpg:mosaic

Too soon? ;)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't know if this has been discussed already but there was an interesting interview with Hitch on Sportsnet:

Q&A: Oilers' Ken Hitchock on how coaching has changed over his career

Lots of interesting nuggets throughout, but what caught my attention was the last part:
Q — Why aren’t you on a beach in Florida right now? (He’s 66.)

A — I just had coffee with (Flyers assistant) Rick Wilson, and we both said, ‘Are we friggin’ nuts?’ We were the mayors of the coffee club. I’ve got to tell you, both of us miss one thing: we both love having a stake in the game. Whether it’s a coach or as a consultant or whatever, we love having a stake in the game. That’s the fuel that is our fire. It’s not like I have to be the head coach. I know what makes me feel fulfilled. I’m part of a group that has a stake in the game.

I can’t watch hockey as a fan. When I was watching games when I wasn’t coaching, I’d watch until I had the information, then I’d turn the TV off and watch the History Channel. Or Discovery. It’s not like I need to be the boss or the head coach, but I need to be part of an organization where my opinion matters and (I’m) involved in an outcome.

That's good news I think, because even if Hitch doesn't want to coach beyond this season he could still be a very valuable member of this organization in some shape or form. Whether that's mentoring the next Head Coach or just advising the GM, his input would be invaluable.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know if this has been discussed already but there was an interesting interview with Hitch on Sportsnet:

Q&A: Oilers' Ken Hitchock on how coaching has changed over his career

Lots of interesting nuggets throughout, but what caught my attention was the last part:

That's good news I think, because even if Hitch doesn't want to coach beyond this season he could still be a very valuable member of this organization in some shape or form. Whether that's mentoring the next Head Coach or just advising the GM, his input would be invaluable.

Thanks for posting that...very enjoyable read.
I hope that Hitch is around this team in some capacity for a long long time. :nod:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Stolen from one of the articles in the Hitch McD thread:

Has the thought crossed your head that you might have another birthday here next year in the same situation?
A: Not really. For me, I love it here. ..... I feel like at the end of my career, I get to coach a team that I loved. I feel like the luckiest guy standing behind the bench here. For me, do I want it to end? No. I don't want it to end but I got to do my job. I got to be good at what I'm doing and I've got to keep this team going.

I am not sure what to make of it, in the beginning it looks as if he is saying that he won't come back next year, but then at the end he says he doesn't want it to end. Any native English speaker that can interpret this for me?

North

Jun 25, 2009

I am not sure what to make of it, in the beginning it looks as if he is saying that he won't come back next year, but then at the end he says he doesn't want it to end. Any native English speaker that can interpret this for me?

My best guess is he’d stay but isn’t taking anything for granted. He has to make sure the team keeps winning to be in consideration for an extension.

That’s me reading between the lines a lot though.

Reactions: LaGu

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Sounds either like leaving options open or not being able to account for uncertainty. A lot of things can happen that pre-empt continuance. When you get older its unrealistic to make long term plans as much.

Also the reality is in this org the hangers on that are already hanging on, none of them wanted Hitch here. KLowe were not big fans. As I've stated before they decided against him multiple times. So it would be uncomfortable for all involved for Hitch to be here as a hanger on. Its weird, the org will have him here as long as he's able to right the ship. The org have never had any particularly want to hire the local guy.

I always go back to this org being insular. And everybody higher up in it wanting it as their own personal fiefdom. From Katz down. OBC still limit and shape what this org will do. The lifers here don't want people within the org that will supplant them. This has been obvious as long as the Tambellini and Quinn hires.

The Cynical side of me says this org only would ever hire Hitch when he was in retirement. Because then the prospects of him being here longterm are remote.

My take is whether this looks like working good or not, its temporary.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
One of the biggest beneficiaries of the Hitchcock hiring has to be Gulutzan. He has experience as an NHL head coach and now gets to take a step back as an assistant and learn from a Hall of Famer. If he’s smart, he’s learning absolutely everything he can and uses it to be a better head coach in the future.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One of the biggest beneficiaries of the Hitchcock hiring has to be Gulutzan. He has experience as an NHL head coach and now gets to take a step back as an assistant and learn from a Hall of Famer. If he’s smart, he’s learning absolutely everything he can and uses it to be a better head coach in the future.

I would say that all 3 Assistant coaches are benefiting from the 'Hitch factor'. :D

As I think more about this it may even be more beneficial for Viveiros simply because he is earlier in his head coaching career and still forming a foundation regarding his coaching philosophy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...is the Hitch honeymoon phase over now? If so...are we now going to see the real version of this team moving forward?

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
i think its hard for most teams to tread water losing two top four defencemen in one day. Gravel is our #3 defenceman right now.... think about that for a second.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
i think its hard for most teams to tread water losing two top four defencemen in one day. Gravel is our #3 defenceman right now.... think about that for a second.

Totally valid. That could be a lot of what we are seeing now.

The other 2 factors are fatigue and a lack of practice time.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
agreed, but i have noticed we have tons of trouble moving the puck out of zone since both players went down.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So...is the Hitch honeymoon phase over now? If so...are we now going to see the real version of this team moving forward?
I've seen no improvement in the special teams and questionable handling of goaltenders and the lineup. Good thing JP scored last game but not sure why he was on the fourth line.

Of course I also don't think Scotty Bowman could make this a winning lineup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
i'd say 3 of our top 5

For sure and when you have little to no secondary scoring you have to play a prevent game. When your top 3 of 5 dmen are out its really tough to do much of anything.
Cant score goals...cant defend.

Not even Hitch can coach around this problem for very long.

The best we can hope for is that Russell returns next game and then Sekera joins the team at 80% in mid January and they hold the fort until Kelfbom returns in mid to late February. The good news for the Oilers is that they only play 11 games in January.

If this team cant find a way through the defensive injuries and stay near .500 there is no way this team makes the playoffs IMO.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I don't think the honeymoon phase is over. The Russell and Klefbom injuries have really exposed their weakness on D plus I think fatigue was really setting in with their bizarre schedule over their last 10 games.

I do expect their wildcard spot to be on life support until Russell comes back and Sekera steps in or Chiarelli manages to pull off a good trade.

Right now, they are touch and go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->