The Hitch Thread

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I noticed that there have been isolated (quality) discussion about Hitchs systems in different threads.
@TheNumber4 and @DazedandConfused and @5 Mins 4 Ftg are 3 posters that made a solid contribution in different threads already. The posts are IMO are worthy of being reposted in here so we can continue to discuss. :D

So I thought we could have a thread specifically for discussing all things Hitch. Nuggets of gold from his media avails and also different aspects of his coaching/systems play as well as players that seem to be improving under Hitchs direction.

I like that the media is noticing subtle changes in how the Oilers are playing under Hitch as well.

These 2 videos are an example of little systems adjustments the team has made under Hitch so far....

The Hitch Effect

Hopefully this thread can avoid the mudslinging towards McLellan that seems to be growing on the board as well.
It would be great if we could keep this positive. :nod:

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think it's due to the fact the forwards actually get a running start and are moving up with the puck vs. waiting for it. This means they're actually able to attack with speed and take advantage of bad gap control by opposing defenceman.

Toss in that the defencmen here (most of whom are average passers at best), only need to complete a short pass to break out means that weak point is now covered up.

Look at the Zykov/Spooner chance early in the game. Zykov gets the puck and has space to move up, the defence backs off, and with the backcheckers all caught deep, suddenly he and Spooner have all the time and room in the world to design how they want to attack. If they fly the zone early, the defence are already on top of them and they have less room to work.

It's similar on the RNH goal. Khaira gets space to build up speed, meaning the defence can't collapse down on him. That gap lets him and RNH get a tricky shot off and also have the speed to crash the net.

This isn't a fast team, but TMac seemed to think the solution was to have the puck do all the work. However that just led to pucks traveling long distances to stationals targets that were already covered. Hitch seems to focus on getting the puck to guys with space and letting that break down other teams' defences.

Good post.
From a distance it would be easy to convince yourself that being responsible defensively would be counter productive to generating offense. Hitchs system clearly limits high danger chances and increases puck possession.
I also like the fact that the team (as you mentioned) has to skate the puck out of their own zone and utilize short passes.
More responsible puck management and much better puck support helps the team retain puck possession.
So much of this is about disruption/puck retrieval and puck possession.
As Hitch says...when you have the puck you have more chances to score.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I also said it in another thread but I'll post it again here.

I don't think Hitch has been here long enough to implement any meaningful tactical changes that fans would notice since they've had 2 practices. The big changes we've seen so far are largely due to Hitch putting the players in a position to succeed by matching lines, something TMac never seemed to do. He's a master of it & always has been.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I also said it in another thread but I'll post it again here.

I don't think Hitch has been here long enough to implement any meaningful tactical changes that fans would notice since they've had 2 practices. The big changes we've seen so far are largely due to Hitch putting the players in a position to succeed by matching lines, something TMac never seemed to do. He's a master of it & always has been.

Last night Hitch pretty much rolled 4 lines so he isn't committed to matching lines by any means.

I also think that Hitch has made some subtle changes in terms of the system and the effect is quite meaningful.
Even the players talk openly about learning the new adjustments that Hitch has been implementing.
If you watch the videos above they detail some of what has changed under Hitch in terms of systems play.
I invite you to have a look.

Also...a few players have really started to flourish under Hitch. The 3 that come to mind off the top of my head are Kassian, Khaira and Benning.
Hitch talked openly about getting Khaia to play more of a North/South game which has made him more effective the last couple of games. Jesse seems to be more of a work in progress so I didnt mention him but I am hopeful that Hitch is able to help turn Jesses game around as well.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I noticed that there have been isolated (quality) discussion about Hitchs systems in different threads.
@TheNumber4 and @DazedandConfused are 2 posters that made a solid contribution in different threads already. The posts are IMO are worthy of being reposted in here so we can continue to discuss. :D

So I thought we could have a thread specifically for discussing all things Hitch. Nuggets of gold from his media avails and also different aspects of his coaching/systems play as well as players that seem to be improving under Hitchs direction.

I like that the media is noticing subtle changes in how the Oilers are playing under Hitch as well.

These 2 videos are an example of little systems adjustments the team has made under Hitch so far....

The Hitch Effect

Hopefully this thread can avoid the mudslinging towards McLellan that seems to be growing on the board as well.
It would be great if we could keep this positive. :nod:

bang on. it's the change of culture and buy in. paying attention to details and better focus. we've seen this team play decently well even earlier this year under todd but the buy in just didn't last. hitch will hold them to it.

i mentioned exactly what those two analyst said about too "loosey goosey". gotta be hard on the play and make the play with more focus and gumption instead of too many sub 100% effort level and too much wishing and hoping like they said. can't really quantify "loosey goosey" or wishing and hoping" ( guys like @Little Fury, etc need to quantify everything or it's "not real") but little details make huge differences. culture, buy in, playing the right way, selflessness. playing FOR each other and not with each other. covering for a teammate if he slips up. making the hard work unsexy play so you can win a 50-50 battle to spring other teams. driving the net know you'll likely not touch the puck but knowing it'll open up space for your other mates with the puck. etc etc etc.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Last night Hitch pretty much rolled 4 lines so he isn't committed to matching lines by any means.

I also think that Hitch has made some subtle changes in terms of the system and the effect is quite meaningful.
Even the players talk openly about learning the new adjustments that Hitch has been implementing.
If you watch the videos above they detail some of what has changed under Hitch in terms of systems play.
I invite you to have a look.

Also...a few players have really started to flourish under Hitch. The 3 that come to mind off the top of my head are Kassian, Khaira and Benning.
Hitch talked openly about getting Khaia to play more of a North/South game which has made him more effective the last couple of games. Jesse seems to be more of a work in progress so I didnt mention him but I am hopeful that Hitch is able to help turn Jesses game around as well.

1. Yeah, he rolled 4 last night more than the other games which is easier to do when you score on 3 of your first 6 shots.

2. He has made some subtle changes no doubt & I have looked at the videos so no invitation is needed.

3. You don't think that the players you mentioned flourishing have anything to do with matching lines & having them play more against the guys they should be? Do we really expect 4th line players & 3rd defense pairing to flourish playing against rested top line players from other teams because that's what was happening waaaaaay too much because TMac couldn't or wouldn't match lines. Or he'd just throw out the 4th line or 3rd pairing after we scored & the opposition would counter with their top guys on our home ice.

Hitch is a great coach but with 2 practices there's no way he's made substantial tactical changes to the team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hitch is doing coaching 101. His system properly executed can overcome huge talent gaps. Not the most exciting but it’s working.

It’s not culture, it’s all where you are and what you do when you don’t have the puck and executing properly when you do have the puck.

3rd man high in the o-zone cuts off the attack or cuts off the breaking player forcing a dump in. D1 moves for a quick clear to a deep C or F1 on the strong side who is turning and burning while D2 runs a simple pick on the forechecker. C moves it to the strong side winger while the weak side winger cuts across high.

That suppressed shots and moves the puck fast with forwards at speed back down the oppositions throats. Once Hitch gets the D involved in the breakout you have a 4 man attack and many times a 4 on 3. If we get hemmed in we drop into a zone D - easier to execute than a man v man.

Todd changed his system this year to a high tip and chase and the forecheck was a one man band and his man v man was too complex for the defensive talent we have.

Hitch’s system I think is perfect for what we have as players and plays to their strengths so long as the players are patient.

Edit - good topic!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hitch is doing coaching 101. His system properly executed can overcome huge talent gaps. Not the most exciting but it’s working.

It’s not culture, it’s all where you are and what you do when you don’t have the puck and executing properly when you do have the puck.

3rd man high in the o-zone cuts off the attack or cuts off the breaking player forcing a dump in. D1 moves for a quick clear to a deep C or F1 on the strong side who is turning and burning while D2 runs a simple pick on the forechecker. C moves it to the strong side winger while the weak side winger cuts across high.

That suppressed shots and moves the puck fast with forwards at speed back down the oppositions throats. Once Hitch gets the D involved in the breakout you have a 4 man attack and many times a 4 on 3. If we get hemmed in we drop into a zone D - easier to execute than a man v man.

Todd changed his system this year to a high tip and chase and the forecheck was a one man band and his man v man was too complex for the defensive talent we have.

Hitch’s system I think is perfect for what we have as players and plays to their strengths so long as the players are patient.

Edit - good topic!

The high tip and chase was weird to me because it meant one forward was always stationary and not really supporting the puck.

The man to man D worked well earlier on in the year but once teams started focusing on breaking down individual players like Nurse or Benning, it was doomed to failure.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The high tip and chase was weird to me because it meant one forward was always stationary and not really supporting the puck.

The man to man D worked well earlier on in the year but once teams started focusing on breaking down individual players like Nurse or Benning, it was doomed to failure.

I get why they went to the high tip and chase, it’s a method for mid to low talent teams use to clear the puck and stretch the opposing d but the Oilers rarely had more than 1 man on the forecheck usually arriving late so it was an easy out.

As for the man v man you are correct. Teams can break down individual players and we just don’t have the talent to play that game against top talent - add in shaky goaltending and it’s doomed.

I love what they are doing now. Just love it.

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I get why they went to the high tip and chase, it’s a method for mid to low talent teams use to clear the puck and stretch the opposing d but the Oilers rarely had more than 1 man on the forecheck usually arriving late so it was an easy out.

As for the man v man you are correct. Teams can break down individual players and we just don’t have the talent to play that game against top talent - add in shaky goaltending and it’s doomed.

I love what they are doing now. Just love it.

The high tip and chase works if you have speedy grinders. They don’t necessarily have to be very skilled with the puck, but they have to be speedy and tenacious on the forecheck. Our team has maybe three of those players - Caggiula, Rieder and Yamamoto. Not a recipe for success, especially once Rieder got injured and Yamamoto was sent down.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He really needs to take Nurse aside and show him how to play defense. He makes at least one egregious error per game if not more.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think Hitch giving guys jobs and putting a positive spin on their roles on team has really helped. Kassian and Lucic looked completely lost on this team, for over a year really. Hitch comes in, and convinces these guys by giving high energy lines, trying to grind the opposing defenders down, dominating puck posession, not just looking for a quick goal off a rush, they can be difference makers for the team. They look reborn. He's selling to 4th liners that they need to be like another 3rd line for us, play hard and you'll get more time, you're not just stuck as 6-7 min per night guys. He's talking Nuge up like mad, and pushing his wingers to try to force turnovers and be as aggressive as they can.

I think in any walk of life, any job, people need to feel like they have a role in the group, and managers need to find ways to frame their role in a positive way. And obviously you need to give people jobs appropriate to their abilities. That simply was not happening here. The elite guys get to free wheel like they always have under McLellan, and the non-elite guys, they had a tendency to look pretty aimless out there. I personally don't think McLellan is a strong systems coach at all, so not much he could have done differently. He needs players that would produce if there was no coach at all at his disposal to get anything done. Bare minimum contributions from depth has always been his downfall as a head coach.

I feel like before the only job given to non-1st liners on this team was to not screw up and waste the work McDavid's line does. GO out there, and just make no mistakes (basically impossible with the pace of todays game, especially if you are playing scared and too conservative) and try to survive while McDavid is resting and can get back out there. That's all. And if you make a bad mistake, McLellan will be sure to bring it up in the post-game, so enjoy that you mistake maker you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Bear

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Their currently style is more reminiscent of what they did in 15-16 at least defensively. Then it seemed as if after the loss in the 2nd round, Todd attempted to move beyond that and it never clicked, whereas Hitch is going back to basics here.

That and he walks in here after they all just looked fed up and has an immediate impact on the team (it seemed) fans and everyone, said he knew what was wrong and how to fix it. Confidence and instilling that in the players has worked wonders.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He really needs to take Nurse aside and show him how to play defense. He makes at least one egregious error per game if not more.

Can’t teach natural game processing skills. You either have it or you don’t. Benning has far better natural processing skills for example, which is why he’s adapted so well. Gravel as well.

What Hitch can do is drill down passive positioning in the zone, but that only goes so far because the other half of the game is reading and reacting.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Also man to man kinda blows when their man has more talent than your man... there’s only really one defenceman that can separate an opponent from the puck with any regularity. That’s Larsson. Everyone else just chases and chases.

With zone, the angle of attack on that opponent changes as you switch coverage. Better odds of getting that puck back doing it that way I think.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also man to man kinda blows when their man has more talent than your man... there’s only really one defenceman that can separate an opponent from the puck with any regularity. That’s Larsson. Everyone else just chases and chases.

With zone, the angle of attack on that opponent changes as you switch coverage. Better odds of getting that puck back doing it that way I think.

It basically lets the other team retain possession in small, non-dangerous areas of the ice and dares them to try the eventual longer pass/play which usually leads to a turnover or low danger shot, assuming everyone is positioned properly.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It basically lets the other team retain possession in small, non-dangerous areas of the ice and dares them to try the eventual longer pass/play which usually leads to a turnover or low danger shot, assuming everyone is positioned properly.

True this happened a lot last game. Or they run themselves into another “zone” and we turn it over because 2 players are headed right into each other.

Man can’t wait for the Calgary game tomorrow lol.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
1. Yeah, he rolled 4 last night more than the other games which is easier to do when you score on 3 of your first 6 shots.

Thats true..usually easier to play in front but if the other lines are giving up more than they are creating you can bet that Hitch would abandon that pretty quickly.

2. He has made some subtle changes no doubt & I have looked at the videos so no invitation is needed.

3. You don't think that the players you mentioned flourishing have anything to do with matching lines & having them play more against the guys they should be?

Well...lets isolate on Kassian. Hitch certainly hasnt given Kassian easier assignments since taking over and Kaiisan was struggling mightily before Hitch took the reigns.
So no if anything the line match ups (getting tougher) should have caused Kassians play to fall off even further.
The opposite happened.

Do we really expect 4th line players & 3rd defense pairing to flourish playing against rested top line players from other teams because that's what was happening waaaaaay too much because TMac couldn't or wouldn't match lines. Or he'd just throw out the 4th line or 3rd pairing after we scored & the opposition would counter with their top guys on our home ice.

Well...it may not be as simple as that.
As @5 Mins 4 Ftg mentioned making a systems change such as a modified zone or a full out zone would tend to play more towards the strength of a 5 man unit as opposed to the strength of an individual player. That in and of itself would make an average defence more effective at defending. I cant remember where I heard this but that is why they banned zone defence in the NBA. Too damned effective.
When you play man to man then the weaker players are more likely to get exposed.

Hitch is a great coach but with 2 practices there's no way he's made substantial tactical changes to the team.

Actually I never said anything about substantial changes at all...I refered to subtle changes. Going from a man to man to a modified zone would qualify IMO.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They banned zone defense in the NBA because the game became a boring mess of players standing still for the entire duration of the shot clock just blocking lanes.

Now it’s probably too far in the other direction where it’s all offense and you aren’t allowed to touch anyone.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They banned zone defense in the NBA because the game became a boring mess of players standing still for the entire duration of the shot clock just blocking lanes.

Now it’s probably too far in the other direction where it’s all offense and you aren’t allowed to touch anyone.

Well...basically it was too effective at shutting down offence. Makes for a boring game....tough to sell tickets to that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
NHL players can switch from man to zone d with a mere word. We did it with Bantam A players. It ain’t hard.

Telling pros to switch to a 2-1-2 F1 F2 F3 forecheck from a 1-2-2 F1 forecheck is one sentence.

Having the C drop low and high winger split across is 10 seconds at a whiteboard.

These players have done this literally their entire lives. It isn’t rocket science.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
NHL players can switch from man to zone d with a mere word. We did it with Bantam A players. It ain’t hard.

Telling pros to switch to a 2-1-2 F1 F2 F3 forecheck from a 1-2-2 F1 forecheck is one sentence.

Having the C drop low and high winger split across is 10 seconds at a whiteboard.

These guys have done this literally their entire lives. It isn’t rocket science.

It does take practice and repetition to make it run smoothly though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad