The Hitch Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Noticing this actually allows 97 to get even more speed before he gets to center and they can't react. Take for instance that Calgary goal in game 1 last year.

For sure. Hitch alluded to that even before or was it right after game 1 that he coached. TMac wanted to spring McDavid loose with the long pass or chip and chase. Hitch wants the 5 man unit attaching with speed from down low.

If I recall it was the exact same switch Sullivan did with Crosby and Co when he took over from Johnson in Pittsburgh the year they won the cup. It utilized team speed far more effectively.

Reactions: nightfighter

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Noticing this actually allows 97 to get even more speed before he gets to center and they can't react. Take for instance that Calgary goal in game 1 last year.

Good point. Kind of like what happened on the rush before the Oilers 7th goal in the Minny game.
Having McDavid playing down low in the D zone increases the chances of puck retrieval and then it allows for more time and space for McDavid to exploit the defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just watching the 3rd period from last nights game. The Nurse and Russell pairing were the teams worst pairing in the D zone. Both players were losing their checks far too often. Both were puck watching too much...good thing Talbot bailed them out or it could have been a different game.

Hitch needs to spend a little more time with them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What's a good source for play breakdowns and strategy explanations?

When I coached Hockey Canada was a good resource but it was all printed material back then, things were just getting digitized by them when I left coaching about 7 years ago now. I used to have Hitchcocks drills and game strategies given to me by one of my assistant coaches who was coached by him when he played. Great stuff.

This is a pretty good site: Ice Hockey Systems

Ryan Walter used to have an excellent subscription based service but he focuses now on leadership development. He is a fantastic speaker. This is his book:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just watching the 3rd period from last nights game. The Nurse and Russell pairing were the teams worst pairing in the D zone. Both players were losing their checks far too often. Both were puck watching too much...good thing Talbot bailed them out or it could have been a different game.

Hitch needs to spend a little more time with them.

Seems like they're making some bad reads individually, but mostly making bad reads off each other.

Like on the Niederreiter goal, Nurse ended up in no man's land, but I think it's because he expected Russell to continue following Nieder and slide back over to the right side. At the same time, Russell likely expected Nurse to slide over to cover the right side as he's making the play in the corner.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to slide Nurse back down to the third pairing for a bit. Ease up his ice time and see if he clicks with someone else.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Seems like they're making some bad reads individually, but mostly making bad reads off each other.

Like on the Niederreiter goal, Nurse ended up in no man's land, but I think it's because he expected Russell to continue following Nieder and slide back over to the right side. At the same time, Russell likely expected Nurse to slide over to cover the right side as he's making the play in the corner.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to slide Nurse back down to the third pairing for a bit. Ease up his ice time and see if he clicks with someone else.

Not sure Gravel could manage 2nd pair minutes but I agree with your assessment. Nurse has been caught with bad reads and one bad read begets another from his partner. I wonder if they have to communicate a little more on whose marking who. Nurse could use some quality time in the video room it seems.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

As it stands right now they would have to push a player to play above his pay grade.
I think once Sekera comes back it might give the team some options...assuming of course he is at least able to get to about 80%.
The team just doesnt have enough top 4 depth but they should be able to make this work a little better as is. More attention to detail is all thats required here.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Great thread with some terrific insight.

We can disagree as to the reasons for their improved play but I think we all agree that it has been coaching related & Hitchcock is a exceptional coach in so many ways.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Think the players have a little respect and don't want to throw a former coach under the bus. That is never a good look, especially with a new coach trying to learn what type of person/player you are (want the new guy seeing you as someone that will quickly take a dump on a former coach?). McDavid has been trying very hard to downplay any difference between Hitch and McLellan. Classy kid, really.

But then you have Hitch acting totally confused about why our D are so passive once the puck goes over the blue line. Started early with a rant about how the C's and forwards need to get deeper in oue own end to provide D with more passing options. That 2nd one is a large contrast to McLellan who seemed OK with forwards camping out in the neutral zone and offensive blue line waiting for D to make stretch passes, many that were good for nothing but tipping into the offensive zone.

i agree, i think the tmac was probably a bit of a players coach and was somewhat liked. i think there are a few minor changes so far and i expect bigger system changes to eventually be worked in down the road.

i think the main differences i see thus far come a bit more from effort and buy in with some minor detail changes. we saw a stretch of games earlier this season where they actually looked a bit similar as far as defensive coverage, backcheck etc. the video pointed out how hard the high fwd is coming back on the backcheck and that makes a massive difference as far as how easy it is to enter our zone or dump and retrieve. i see greater effort level to attack the puck carrier when appropriate and go and give 100% on puck battles and staying in the puck battle for as long as possible even in a losing cause. before, to me, it looked more like feigned effort level. i think they've really bought into what hitch is saying about "playing for each other rather than with each other".

i'm still a bit skeptical as to how long it will last but i think he's way more of a attention to details and hard a** than tmac.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
McDavid is still developing his game.
I’m wondering what Hitchcock has planned for him.
Maybe help him become a 2-way monster?
This would get Edmonton closer to the cup maybe.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From Mathesons article in the Journal

“I think we’re playing a little tighter, and it’s easier to close the games,” said Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson, who played 21 minutes. “Even when we were up two goals in the beginning of the season, we would tend to give up chances still, even when we tried to close games out. I don’t feel like we’re doing that now. We’re playing a system where you really need to work hard, and all the guys are buying into it and doing the right things out there. It pays off.”
What’s tighter about their games?
“We were really sad to see a coach go. There’s no disrespect to Todd. Now I just feel like we’re a bit closer, playing a more supportive system. If you screw up, you feel like you have that back-tracker or whatever it might be … so the mistakes don’t cost us as much,” said Larsson.

Reactions: McDNicks17

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
i agree, i think the tmac was probably a bit of a players coach and was somewhat liked. i think there are a few minor changes so far and i expect bigger system changes to eventually be worked in down the road.

i think the main differences i see thus far come a bit more from effort and buy in with some minor detail changes. we saw a stretch of games earlier this season where they actually looked a bit similar as far as defensive coverage, backcheck etc. the video pointed out how hard the high fwd is coming back on the backcheck and that makes a massive difference as far as how easy it is to enter our zone or dump and retrieve. i see greater effort level to attack the puck carrier when appropriate and go and give 100% on puck battles and staying in the puck battle for as long as possible even in a losing cause. before, to me, it looked more like feigned effort level. i think they've really bought into what hitch is saying about "playing for each other rather than with each other".

i'm still a bit skeptical as to how long it will last but i think he's way more of a attention to details and hard a** than tmac.

The playing for each other vs with each other is a culture changing ask by Hitch, and when the wins come the mindset changes as confidence is bred from those wins, the result affirms the ask and the expectations change. With that the culture turns from expecting to lose to expecting to win. There is also zero question in my mind that TMac was a "players coach". Very compassionate with his players, Hitch is demanding as hell and as he said in his opening meeting with his players, don't take it personally.

Exhibit 1 is Hitch using Lucic on a line with Brodziak and Kassian and labelling the line as the 3rd line and even giving them a name and specific purpose. TMac never dared to try that, I think for fear the damage it would do to Lucic psyche. Hitch builds this line up as a purposeful line with an identity, ensures they aren't labelled as a 4th line in the media, increases their minutes and asks for the buy in. Lucic to his credit has bit hard on it, and it's working.

Exhibit 2 is Hitch asking for JP to be brought up and plays him on a 2nd line with some scoring potential and is coaching him up on using his frame to prevent attack rather than create attack, and coaching the offence from the transition those turnovers the attack prevention creates as the offensive catalyst. To that end he played JP in the last minute of a 1-0 game against the top team in the WC, and its highest scoring. A massive confidence builder for JP. Its a long term strategy and the thought is his offence will come from the confidence it creates on how to play a 200 foot game.

All long term strategies, but this team is now confident to play a 1-0 game and not try to stretch the lead by cheating for offence. Coaching to players strengths which as flawed as the roster is, uses what we have to our advantage and masks the deficiencies.

My sincere hope is the Oilers make the playoffs and Hitch gets coach of the year. This team is playing hard for each other right now so it is not out of the question. Biggest challenge IMO, goaltending. Hitch speaks the absolute truth when he says we need 2 goaltenders playing at the top of their games to win. I hope Talbot stays on his game and Kostko doesn't lose his. They both give us a fighting chance each game.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
How do we all feel about Hitch's system so far? I noticed a lot of fans on opponent teams throwing out the "ol' Hitchcock trap" posts out there but I haven't seen the trap thus far, at least not in the conventional sense of a 2-2-1 formation. What I see is often 2 forwards pressuring in the offensive zone, often causing turn overs and ultimately funnelling opposing team's breakouts towards one of the walls where the third forward and a dman with close gap closes off and forces a bad pass or a dump in.

It's definitely not a passive sit back and wait tactic which the oilers often reverted to (maybe instinctually?) under Tmac. Personally I like it.

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
It's been years (decades?) Since the oilers played anything close to sound defensive hockey. After countless good goalies and defensemen being run out of town, maybe the issue this whole time has been system? Either way enjoying this run under thiccdaddy. Hopefully he leads us to the promise land

Reactions: McDrai

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
From Mathesons article in the Journal

“I think we’re playing a little tighter, and it’s easier to close the games,” said Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson, who played 21 minutes. “Even when we were up two goals in the beginning of the season, we would tend to give up chances still, even when we tried to close games out. I don’t feel like we’re doing that now. We’re playing a system where you really need to work hard, and all the guys are buying into it and doing the right things out there. It pays off.”
What’s tighter about their games?
“We were really sad to see a coach go. There’s no disrespect to Todd. Now I just feel like we’re a bit closer, playing a more supportive system. If you screw up, you feel like you have that back-tracker or whatever it might be … so the mistakes don’t cost us as much,” said Larsson.

I really don't think Todd ever got across to the players any useful system in our zone his entire time here. It was always a chinese fire drill in our end when the other team pressed. Survival was purely a product if the goalie was able to do backflips or not.

System before did seem to involve a lot of chasing, and guys were constantly going out of position. You would have Dmen chasing guys all the way to the blue line with their sticks hanging out over-reaching. It happened over and over, so I assume that was just part of the system. Seems to just take a week with a new coach to have made it stop, so it's not like it would have been impossible for Todd if he didn't like it. I think you actually have to push players to do that stuff. I imagine for most D that would go against their natural instincts.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I really don't think Todd ever got across to the players any useful system in our zone his entire time here. It was always a chinese fire drill in our end when the other team pressed. Survival was purely a product if the goalie was able to do backflips or not.

System before did seem to involve a lot of chasing, and guys were constantly going out of position. You would have Dmen chasing guys all the way to the blue line with their sticks hanging out over-reaching. It happened over and over, so I assume that was just part of the system. Seems to just take a week with a new coach to have made it stop, so it's not like it would have been impossible for Todd if he didn't like it. I think you actually have to push players to do that stuff. I imagine for most D that would go against their natural instincts.

TMac had our guys playing man v man in our zone which as you say when pressed tended to break down into a Chinese fire drill. I never liked the man v man one bit and didn’t feel we had the players with the acumen for playing it successfully and sustainably that way.

Zone D works when players don’t cheat.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
TMac had our guys playing man v man in our zone which as you say when pressed tended to break down into a Chinese fire drill. I never liked the man v man one bit and didn’t feel we had the players with the acumen for playing it successfully and sustainably that way.

Zone D works when players don’t cheat.

That's pretty brutal man v man if your D are frequently chasing guys to the blue line and not trading guys off. Might need 5 Vlasic's to consistently and effectively pull off what we were trying to do before. Or 16/17 Talbot.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I also think a big difference is the passes are shorter in the defensive zone, so they are more accurate. We always seemed to look for a stretch pass breaking out that just wasn't there. That is where puck possession and maintaining control in our end is much more efficient. It almost seemed at time as if we were killing a penalty all game. With the players that much closer together in our zone, the times of an opponent being comically wide open are getting fewer and fewer.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I also think a big difference is the passes are shorter in the defensive zone, so they are more accurate. We always seemed to look for a stretch pass breaking out that just wasn't there. That is where puck possession and maintaining control in our end is much more efficient. It almost seemed at time as if we were killing a penalty all game. With the players that much closer together in our zone, the times of an opponent being comically wide open are getting fewer and fewer.

The defensive supports are greater and for short transitional passes which allow players to break out with numbers and speed. Oilers were so often spread so far out pucks were going east west with no support resulting in lost dump ins or simple loss of possession. Now we break out north south and maintain possession typically dumping it in only if that’s the safe play to prevent an offensive blue line turnover.

Last edited:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Todd Mclellan: I have no answers.

Hitchcock: I know what's wrong, give me about 8 or 9 days.

Lol how amateur did he make our former coach look. Does this look worse on Chiarelli for keeping him so long or worse on Mclellan for being so bad?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's pretty brutal man v man if your D are frequently chasing guys to the blue line and not trading guys off. Might need 5 Vlasic's to consistently and effectively pull off what we were trying to do before. Or 16/17 Talbot.

The D chase who ever their mark is often meaning forwards are left to cover. Our young players often got crossed up. Offensive picks commonly destroyed our man v man coverage. It’s one reason teams like Nashville usually destroyed us. The man v man just did not work for this group.
It was another case of TMac trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011

That's a good point, and I don't think it's such a stark contrast which is why I probably didn't pick up on it, but they're just supporting the puck much closer than ever before, and it's leading to short passes

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The playing for each other vs with each other is a culture changing ask by Hitch, and when the wins come the mindset changes as confidence is bred from those wins, the result affirms the ask and the expectations change. With that the culture turns from expecting to lose to expecting to win. There is also zero question in my mind that TMac was a "players coach". Very compassionate with his players, Hitch is demanding as hell and as he said in his opening meeting with his players, don't take it personally.

Exhibit 1 is Hitch using Lucic on a line with Brodziak and Kassian and labelling the line as the 3rd line and even giving them a name and specific purpose. TMac never dared to try that, I think for fear the damage it would do to Lucic psyche. Hitch builds this line up as a purposeful line with an identity, ensures they aren't labelled as a 4th line in the media, increases their minutes and asks for the buy in. Lucic to his credit has bit hard on it, and it's working.

Exhibit 2 is Hitch asking for JP to be brought up and plays him on a 2nd line with some scoring potential and is coaching him up on using his frame to prevent attack rather than create attack, and coaching the offence from the transition those turnovers the attack prevention creates as the offensive catalyst. To that end he played JP in the last minute of a 1-0 game against the top team in the WC, and its highest scoring. A massive confidence builder for JP. Its a long term strategy and the thought is his offence will come from the confidence it creates on how to play a 200 foot game.

All long term strategies, but this team is now confident to play a 1-0 game and not try to stretch the lead by cheating for offence. Coaching to players strengths which as flawed as the roster is, uses what we have to our advantage and masks the deficiencies.

My sincere hope is the Oilers make the playoffs and Hitch gets coach of the year. This team is playing hard for each other right now so it is not out of the question. Biggest challenge IMO, goaltending. Hitch speaks the absolute truth when he says we need 2 goaltenders playing at the top of their games to win. I hope Talbot stays on his game and Kostko doesn't lose his. They both give us a fighting chance each game.

absolutely, i think both the strategical changes hitch will and has implemented as well as the cultural change will make the difference. a part of it definitely is making each player feel like they are useful and contributing towards a common goal. having proper roles and the confidence of the coach. players aren't stupid, they know when a coach actually trusts them or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad