The great Kadri vs Kerfoot debate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why would they do this if the NHL.com's provided an adequate amount of data? For free...

Why would an organization spend hundreds of thousands of dollars when the NHL.com can do it all the same?

Ansswer these questions lol

Why do teams employ teams of scouts when casual watching on TV beer in hand is enough for fans to express an opinion?

If "not as good as NHL teams have" was an appropriate threshold to gatekeep information from discussion than this site should just be closed down, and hockey media limited to morning after highlights.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do teams employ teams of scouts when casual watching on TV beer in hand is enough for fans to express an opinion?

If "not as good as NHL teams have" was an appropriate threshold to gatekeep information from discussion than this site should just be closed down, and hockey media limited to morning after highlights.
You get a different perspective watching live than on tv. TV tends to just follow the puck.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You get a different perspective watching live than on tv. TV tends to just follow the puck.

Of course. I guess it follows that no opinions that come from watching on TV should be allowed on this forum, and any attempt to do so should immediately sidetrack the thread into a debate of their validity.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Of course. I guess it follows that no opinions that come from watching on TV should be allowed on this forum, and any attempt to do so should immediately sidetrack the thread into a debate of their validity.
I don’t see why opinions shouldn’t always be welcomed. Too many feel their opinion is the only correct one, that’s when things go sideways.

Reactions: 4thline

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m surprised by some of the comments in here. It sounds like Kerfoot has turned the corner in his career for you guys. He was maligned in Colorado, but he seemed like a good guy, so it’s nice to hear he’s improved his game.

I can’t really speak to how our old guys have played for the Leafs this year, but Kadri was as advertised. A guy who has a real goal scoring touch, plays reasonably well in his own zone, and is excellent at faceoffs.

I appreciate the fact that he’s actually willing to throw a body check too. It’s becoming harder to find players like that. He finished 8th on our team in hits despite only playing 50 games. Kadri also sticks up for his teammates. I like that. He got into a couple fights defending guys that took dirty hits this year.

Can’t complain about Naz. He has his limitations as a player certainly as not a guy who’s a great playmaker, but I’ve really enjoyed what he’s brought to the Avs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m surprised by some of the comments in here. It sounds like Kerfoot has turned the corner in his career for you guys. He was maligned in Colorado, but he seemed like a good guy, so it’s nice to hear he’s improved his game.

I can’t really speak to how our old guys have played for the Leafs this year, but Kadri was as advertised. A guy who has goal scoring touch, plays reasonably well in his own zone, and is excellent at faceoffs.

I appreciate the fact that he’s actually willing to throw a body check too. It’s becoming harder to find players like that. He finished 8th on our team in hits despite only playing 50 games. Kadri also sticks up for his teammates. I like that. He got into a couple fights defending guys that took dirty hits this year.

Can’t complain about Naz. He has his limitations as a player certainly as not a guy who’s a great playmaker, but I’ve really enjoyed what he’s brought to the Avs.
Kerfoot hasn’t been comfortable yet. He stated his disappointment himself. I would link the article but just can’t remember the article or site i read it on. I particularly didn’t like him. Its only year one and his role will likely develop as will his value and impact in a more positive way. I was happy to hear him say he wasn’t pleased with his season. He will likely improve because he is evaluating his game correctly ha.
Who knows also, maybe barrie does a bridge deal for next year because of the effects on the cap By covid 19 and unknowns projecting the cap. I heard flat cap next two years could be bargained by the players association and the league. It could be possible depending on a few possible transactions and developments of prospects.
If we get another year out of the deal from Barrie its a up tick in the value of the deal for us toward the middle.
Good luck in the playoffs, great team there again for you guys

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Oh he's still very much maligned here, and most here definitely do not think he has turned any corner.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seems like a random off topic thought but this is correct. I don’t think anyone considers they’ve made the playoffs until they defeat Columbus
I agree and at least there are others on here who also realize they are not yet officially in the 2020 playoffs despite the circumstances of how they need to qualify for them this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I can’t really speak to how our old guys have played for the Leafs this year, but Kadri was as advertised. A guy who has a real goal scoring touch, plays reasonably well in his own zone, and is excellent at faceoffs.

Was Jared Bednar giving Kadri a specific assignment depending on who the Avalanche were playing? I remember that's something Mike Babcock did for Kadri against a team like Pittsburgh and he would have him go up against Sidney Crosby all game, especially if it was played in Toronto and the Leafs had the advantage with the last change. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

When Toronto signed John Tavares that seem to drop Kadri down in terms of using him in a role like that and the fact. Although Kadri was still on the top power play line with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Was Jared Bednar giving Kadri a specific assignment depending on who the Avalanche were playing? I remember that's something Mike Babcock did for Kadri against a team like Pittsburgh and he would have him go up against Sidney Crosby all game, especially if it was played in Toronto and the Leafs had the advantage with the last change. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

When Toronto signed John Tavares that seem to drop Kadri down in terms of using him in a role like that and the fact. Although Kadri was still on the top power play line with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly.

Not that I noticed really. He took a regular second line shift, I didn’t notice too much in terms of matchups.

I think more than anything his faceoff prowess and goal scoring ability has helped the Avs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
correct. the average fans' eye tests are uneducated, undisciplined, and biased. the stats have none of those weaknesses.

You have this adorable belief that you think everyone must answer your demands, even though you never answer anyone else's questions.

Nobody has ever said stats tell the whole story. You running around demanding that I answer one of your endless straw men is amusing.

I know why I look at the stats I do, and I'm very careful to add in as much context as possible to address every concern.

Again, i more than happy to consider any suggestion you may have to improve on them - suggest away.

You have no right to demand answers from me when you have left so many of my questions unanswered. It's funny you keep asking this - do you seriously believe that your numbers cover everything? Just to (hopefully) shut you up, I will answer. There are many things missing in your numbers, too many to list. And there are stats which could add more context which aren't even complied as far as I know so the list of ways to improve would be a long one.

I will list just one thing, but that should be plenty. Ice time, that's it.

The beautiful thing about ice-time is that it's a composite of everything else. Teams have a bunch of people working on gathering/compiling/interpreting stats, they have trainers and assistant coaches who report their findings to the head coach who in addition to all that, sees the players on a daily basis in games and in practice. These coaches are highly paid professionals who are considered to be the best in their field and they have access to all kinds of information that we the fans don't have. And they want to win so the better the player is, the more ice time they get, simple as that. If we had to judge players by a single stat (not saying we do), I can't think of a better one the ice time and I think it does a damn good job too. You have ignore this completely in your analysis and it's a pretty glaring omission.

There are a few minor issues but that is true for any stats. For one thing, Dmen get more ice time than forwards so tough to compare them but that's an issue for many stats so not a big deal. And of course if a player is playing hurt his ice time might drop so there's that as well. The main one is that different coaches/teams have slightly different philosophies as far as how much ice time top players get so you might have to adjust the numbers a bit in some cases (again, this is true for many stats) but what is always true as a general rule is that the better the player, the more ice time he gets. I only had a peek at two teams and I'm so sure this is true for every team that I didn't bother checking further.

The Leafs 4 top forwards by ice time are Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. No surprise there.
For EDM it's Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH and then a huge gap until the next forward. No surprise there.

Ice time is especially illuminating in this case because Kadri/Kerfoot flipped teams without any substantial changes in ice time so we don't have to worry about the potential issue of different teams doing things differently.

In 17-18, Kadri played 16.46 per game, Kerfoot played 13.27.
In 18-19, Kadri played 16.11 per game, Kerfoot played 14.53.
In 19-20, Kadri played 17.26 per game, Kerfoot played 14.46.

Those numbers speak for themselves and the conclusion is crystal clear, Kadri is the better player by a good margin. He plays more on special teams and at even strength (look it up if you don't believe me) - it doesn't matter what the situation is, Kadri is the better player, period. And this isn't the opinion of the "average fan", this is the opinion of 3 different NHL coaches during this time span coaching 2 different NHL teams who all say the same thing - Kadri>>> Kerfoot. Spin it any way you like but the facts speak for themselves and leave no room for doubt.

Yes, the more you follow and use the numbers, the better you get at understanding them and deciphering what is more important and descriptive.

In the case of that statline there - you can see how great a season Kadri had on every level. it is missing one key stat which i always use when available and that is TOIqoc - and in this case I remember it clearly, as him and Matthews were neck and neck that year with solid (but not elite) 1st line qoc. So we add that in and we see:

1. Usage: low minutes compared to most 1st liners, but comparable qoc to most of them.
2. Production: Getting above 2p60 is quality 1st line produciton, though not near the elite guys. 8.7oish% is totally normal.
3. Overall Impact: obviously 52.7xgf% is well above average (i.e. 50%), as is +2.8 relative to team (i.e. +0.0). These are very, very good numbers for a center facing legit 1st line level matchups.

So based on those numbers we have a guy that was being used in a borderline 1st line C role, and performaing like a quality 1st line C in that role. Just an excellent season for Naz. Unfortunately, he's been on a steep decline since, despite his oish-inflated offense this year.

That's a lot of words but you didn't answer the question. How can you not answer this fundamental question and instead, say that You have this adorable belief that you think everyone must answer your demands, even though you never answer anyone else's questions.

It would seem this applies to you perfectly but I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Here is the question again:

when you look at these stats you love, xgf%, rel, p/60, oish etc., how do you use them to come up with a final grade so that you can compare players? How much weight does each stat carry - are they all equally important or are some more important than others? What's your formula, your algorythym? Or do you just have a quick peek at the numbers and use your eye test to say Kerfoot is better? I'm going to guess you have nothing resembling a formula and you use your eye test, tell me I'm wrong.

all xgf% is is the best measure we have that compares the quality and amount of offense generated by the player's team when he is on the ice vs. the quality and amount of offense generated by the other team. It's value is obvious, and it would be silly to dismiss it. Of course, it is just as silly to use it in it's raw form and not adjust it for quality of team, quality of competition, zone deployment, and score effects.

Dom at the athletic has a pretty good model. I trust it for the most part. He seems to be the only one that manages to factor in qoc effectively, though it's not public how he does.

But even then, that single number is never enough for me. I'm after more than just overall value - I like my stats to describe the type of player we're looking at. That's why I'm happy to give a package that describes all of usage, production, and overall impact.

Even with baseball, WAR is fine and all, but not nearly enough for me. With baseball WAR, the first thing I do is separate offense from defense, because the defensive component of WAR is a much less reliable stat than the offensive compenent. And even further, I don't quite trust the defensive war comparisons between, say, a 1B and a CF, so I prefer to compare defense based on the best defensive metrrics we have comparing players at the same position to each other. And even offensively, I like to include the usage (i.e. PAs and batting order slot), and the type of hitter we're looking at - i.e. average, walks, strikeouts, power. Comparing players simply on a WAR basis for me simply doesn't tell us enough.

Just remember, the stats I use - which you call a superficial analysis - include a detailed description of that player's role and usage, his production in every game situation and whether it's sustainable, and includes an overall impact competent that demonstrates how the team does when he's on the ice, while factoring out team and opponent quality.

It does all of that. If you think that is superficial compared to the majority of the eye test posts in this thread, you are just lying to yourself.

Before saying that my stats are superficial, ask yourself how many of the eye test posts refer to all of those elements of play in their comparisons.

I never said your stats are superficial, just your analysis.

My favorite part about the Kerfoot v Kadri comparison is that I KNOW THE EYE TEST WILL ALWAYS FAVOR KADRI.

Kadri is a great eye candy. He's got the 3 things the eye test sees the easiest - goals, dangles, big hits. Those are the easiest thing for any eye test to see, so he will always stand out to an average viewer. Kerfoot is the exact opposite of that. He's a passer not a shooter, he doesn't dangle too much, and he doesn't hit. He is precisely the kind of guy that an eye test will have a hard time assessing.

Meanwhile, Kadri's weaknesses and Kerfoot's strengths are the hardest thing for the typical eye test to appreciate. i.e. where a player is away from the puck, how his speed allows him to stretch defenses, get back and maintain defensive positioning, and recover from being out of position. All these are things which Kadri is very weak at (legitimately a liability in these areas at this point), while these are all things that Kerfoot is very good at.

This is a classic comparison between a guy that the eye test is biased towards, and a guy that it's biased against.

And yes, Kadri will also always be a better PP player with his skillset, which helps his topline numbers look even better. In this case, though, Kadri was the worst guy on our top PP unit and our PP is actually better with him gone, so I don't even care about that.

But, again, the funny thing is here we don't need any fancy stats at all to see something which you still haven't yet to explain - their comparative performances in the exact same role - as 3rd line C for these Leafs:

Even Strength, as #3c for these Leafs:

Kadri 18-19: 13:35, 12gl/34pt pace, -2
Kerfoot 19-20: 13:09, 11gl/32pt pace, -2

How does your eye test explain this? Because my fancy stats explain it quite easily

These are nothing more than simple numbers which provide a small piece of a larger puzzle. On their own, they don't mean much at all so what's to explain?

BTW +- has been widely discredited as a tool for player evaluation. For someone who claims to know a lot about stats, I'm surprised you don't know this. You also claimed that you "always use the same numbers", what happened to that?

One final note re. your hypocrisy. In post #39, you dismissed my "methodology" with this comment:
You don't actually doubt that your one-click leaderboard search might not actually disprove all stats, of course.

But just before that in post #19 you were just fine with the exact same "methodology" when my conclusions suited yor purposes when you had this to say:
He showed that the number you just tried to claim was what actually matters, produces obviously nonsense results.

You claim that you're consistent and that you always use the same stats is clearly false, you're more than happy to use whatever numbers support your case but when they don't suit your purpose, you claim they're valueless. The truth is that you have not shown any consistency whatsoever. In just in this one thread, you have also used raw PTS and the laughable +- when it suits your purposes so this 3rd thing is just the icing on the cake. Strike 3 - you're a hypocrite.

The most important thing in statistical analysis IMHO is intellectual honesty, something which you don't seem to have. I don't mind you posting stats, I'm always happy to read what you post. And your write-up on Kadri wasn't bad at all, I'm more than happy to give credit when credit is due. You may not remember this but you and I have been on the same side of various discussions so there is no reason for you to act as if I'm somehow out to get you, or that I want you to stop posting stats as you've said before. Post what you like my good man, it's a forum for discussion after all. But when you start making ridiculous claims like this Kerfoot>Kadri nonsense, and making claims about consistency and objectivity which are clearly false I reserve the right to call you out on it.

Have a nice night!

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You have no right to demand answers from me when you have left so many of my questions unanswered. It's funny you keep asking this - do you seriously believe that your numbers cover everything? Just to (hopefully) shut you up, I will answer. There are many things missing in your numbers, too many to list. And there are stats which could add more context which aren't even complied as far as I know so the list of ways to improve would be a long one.

The beautiful thing about ice-time is that it's a composite of everything else. Teams have a bunch of people working on gathering/compiling/interpreting stats, they have trainers and assistant coaches who report their findings to the head coach who in addition to all that, sees the players on a daily basis in games and in practice. These coaches are highly paid professionals who are considered to be the best in their field and they have access to all kinds of information that we the fans don't have. And they want to win so the better the player is, the more ice time they get, simple as that. If we had to judge players by a single stat (not saying we do), I can't think of a better one the ice time and I think it does a damn good job too. You have ignore this completely in your analysis and it's a pretty glaring omission.

There are a few minor issues but that is true for any stats. For one thing, Dmen get more ice time than forwards so tough to compare them but that's an issue for many stats so not a big deal. And of course if a player is playing hurt his ice time might drop so there's that as well. The main one is that different coaches/teams have slightly different philosophies as far as how much ice time top players get so you might have to adjust the numbers a bit in some cases (again, this is true for many stats) but what is always true as a general rule is that the better the player, the more ice time he gets. I only had a peek at two teams and I'm so sure this is true for every team that I didn't bother checking further.

The Leafs 4 top forwards by ice time are Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. No surprise there.
For EDM it's Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH and then a huge gap until the next forward. No surprise there.

Ice time is especially illuminating in this case because Kadri/Kerfoot flipped teams without any substantial changes in ice time so we don't have to worry about the potential issue of different teams doing things differently.

Those numbers speak for themselves and the conclusion is crystal clear, Kadri is the better player by a good margin. He plays more on special teams and at even strength (look it up if you don't believe me) - it doesn't matter what the situation is, Kadri is the better player, period. And this isn't the opinion of the "average fan", this is the opinion of 3 different NHL coaches during this time span coaching 2 different NHL teams who all say the same thing - Kadri>>> Kerfoot. Spin it any way you like but the facts speak for themselves and leave no room for doubt.

That's a lot of words but you didn't answer the question. How can you not answer this fundamental question and instead, say that You have this adorable belief that you think everyone must answer your demands, even though you never answer anyone else's questions.

It would seem this applies to you perfectly but I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Here is the question again:

when you look at these stats you love, xgf%, rel, p/60, oish etc., how do you use them to come up with a final grade so that you can compare players? How much weight does each stat carry - are they all equally important or are some more important than others? What's your formula, your algorythym? Or do you just have a quick peek at the numbers and use your eye test to say Kerfoot is better? I'm going to guess you have nothing resembling a formula and you use your eye test, tell me I'm wrong.

These are nothing more than simple numbers which provide a small piece of a larger puzzle. On their own, they don't mean much at all so what's to explain?

BTW +- has been widely discredited as a tool for player evaluation. For someone who claims to know a lot about stats, I'm surprised you don't know this. You also claimed that you "always use the same numbers", what happened to that?

One final note re. your hypocrisy. In post #39, you dismissed my "methodology" with this comment:
You don't actually doubt that your one-click leaderboard search might not actually disprove all stats, of course.

But just before that in post #19 you were just fine with the exact same "methodology" when my conclusions suited yor purposes when you had this to say:
He showed that the number you just tried to claim was what actually matters, produces obviously nonsense results.

You claim that you're consistent and that you always use the same stats is clearly false, you're more than happy to use whatever numbers support your case but when they don't suit your purpose, you claim they're valueless. The truth is that you have not shown any consistency whatsoever. In just in this one thread, you have also used raw PTS and the laughable +- when it suits your purposes so this 3rd thing is just the icing on the cake. Strike 3 - you're a hypocrite.

The most important thing in statistical analysis IMHO is intellectual honesty, something which you don't seem to have. I don't mind you posting stats, I'm always happy to read what you post. And your write-up on Kadri wasn't bad at all, I'm more than happy to give credit when credit is due. You may not remember this but you and I have been on the same side of various discussions so there is no reason for you to act as if I'm somehow out to get you, or that I want you to stop posting stats as you've said before. Post what you like my good man, it's a forum for discussion after all. But when you start making ridiculous claims like this Kerfoot>Kadri nonsense, and making claims about consistency and objectivity which are clearly false I reserve the right to call you out on it.

Have a nice night!

I'm assuming you also agree then that Kadri's best season was 2015/16 where he had his career high 18:19 TOI average right? Ignore the 45 total points, TOI is what really matters all of a sudden. Kadri had Babcock's trust in 2015, but then seems to have lost it because Babcock started playing him less and less.

I really hope you don't think your post has anything resembling actual analysis in it. Kadri getting more PP TOI doesn't make any impact whatsoever on what kind of player he is in the ES minutes he plays, which are incredibly similar to the amount and quality Kerfoot plays.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm assuming you also agree then that Kadri's best season was 2015/16 where he had his career high 18:19 TOI average right? Ignore the 45 total points, TOI is what really matters all of a sudden. Kadri had Babcock's trust in 2015, but then seems to have lost it because Babcock started playing him less and less.

I really hope you don't think your post has anything resembling actual analysis in it. Kadri getting more PP TOI doesn't make any impact whatsoever on what kind of player he is in the ES minutes he plays, which are incredibly similar to the amount and quality Kerfoot plays.
Wasn't Babcock playing Kadri less because they signed John Tavares, so that's why he might have had less minutes at even strength.

Although as I said before despite that Kadri was still on the top power play line with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

In 2014/15, The top forwards in ice time were Kessel, JVR and Bozak and Kadri was 4th. Then Kessel was traded and in 15/16, Kadri got the most ice with Komarov and JVR close behind (Bozak a bit further down). The next season Kadri's ice time went down because Matthews arrived and took over the #1C spot. As I said in my post, sometimes you have to adjust ice time based on the team - if you're a good player on a really bad team, then you'll get more ice time then you would on a better team. That's why Kadri got a ton of ice time after Kessel left - he was the best forward on the team and as JVR/Bozak were no longer playing on a line with Kessel, there was no reason for them to get more ice than Kadri. Then as we acquired more talent, his spot in the pecking order dropped and his ice time went down. I believe in his last season with the Leafs, he was 5th in ice time among forwards behind (well, you know who was behind) and that's entirely logical as he was IMHO clearly the 5th best forward on the team.

Don't be fooled by Kadri's 45 points in 15/16. His SH% was near zero about 2 months into the season and he was on pace for 32 points even though he was playing fantastic. He played at a 55 point pace the rest of the way but make no mistake, he played great all season. Was it his best season? I don't know, it was right up there though and if it wasn't his best season, it damn close to it. For sure I'd put his play right up there with the next season when he put up 61 points.

Those first two months were a great example IMO of how the eye test is (sometimes) better than stats. I was watching every game and I KNEW Kadri was playing great despite the poor numbers and so did several others here (IIRC Zeke was one of them BTW). He was hitting a ton of posts etc., he was just completely snakebitten.

You've made me realize something that's important to be aware of though. In 2014/15 Kadri was behind Bozak and JVR in ice time but that was mostly due to the fact that those guys were playing on a line with Kessel. So linemates are something that can skew the numbers a bit and is something to be aware of. I suspect it's not an issue very often though as usually when one player is vastly superior to his linemates, He'll get extra time on special teams. The Leafs were so bad though that even though Kessel's linemates weren't that great, they were still among the best forwards on the team. And honestly, it's not like Kadri was a tier above Bozak/JVR either, those 3 were relatively close in value that season IMHO but yeah, since those two were on Kessel's line they got a bit more ice than Kadri.

You're right, I didn't do any analysis, that's completely fair. I just pointed out that there is a ton of analysis done by coaching staffs across the NHL and the results of that analysis is reflected in how much ice time players get.

Even if they were the exact same player at ES, if one is much better on the PP then he's more valuable isn't he? Special teams are a HUGE part of the game and ignoring them in any analysis would be a big mistake.

ES minutes for the last 3 seasons:

Season Kadri Kerfoot
17/18 14:40 10:57
18/19 13:35 12:45
19/20 13:31 13:15

You're right to point out that Kerfoot closed the ice time gap at ES last season. On the other hand, Kadri played about 2.5 minutes extra on the PP which is HUGE and clearly indicates that Kadri it still considered to be the superior player. Another thing to consider is that the Leafs had a LOT of injuries this season which probably led to Kerfoot getting more minutes when he was in the lineup. If the Leafs are healthier next season the my guess is that Kerfoot's minutes will go down, we'll see (hopefully).

BTW I forgot to mention that in addition to 3 NHL coaches who consider Kadri the superior player, there is also at least one GM who belongs on the list. The COL GM was OK with adding to Kerfoot to get Kadri, that speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Kadri was my favourite player for years here, not surprised he's appreciated in Colorado.

His play here dipped a bit and his last season here was his worst in some time. I wasn't overly concerned though, players have off years sometimes, it happens, it doesn't mean they won't bounce back. The ONLY problem I had with Kadri was that he couldn't control his emotions against Boston, that's it. You guys won't have deal with Boston until the finals if at all so he should be fine. IMO the playoffs are the time when a guy like Kadri really shows his value, he's at his best when things get tense and emotional and plays with that edge, he just has to make sure he doesn't cross the line. I'll be cheering for you guys and Kadri is a big part of why, best of luck to your team!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As I said in my post, sometimes you have to adjust ice time based on the team
I hope you realize the double standard you're exhibiting. You judge the stats that others use in complete isolation, with no context, with no adjustments, with little understanding of them, and declare them useless because they don't tell you something you personally believe that they're not even designed to tell you, and then you make a whole bunch of excuses and adjustments and exclusions and add a bunch of context when you declare TOI awesome and then it doesn't tell you what you want.
First of all, even if they were the exact same player at ES, if one is much better on the PP then he's more valuable isn't he?
PP P/60, past 3 seasons:

Kerfoot: 4.91
Kadri: 4.70
ES minutes for the last 3 seasons:
You do realize that you're comparing an established player's ice time to a rookie, right?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, he's always been a great teammate and plays more of an old school type of game.

Is it safe to say that Colorado fans are happy with the deal? It's been mostly viewed as a disappointment from the Leaf side.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Have a nice night!

How did you not notice that my stats include ice time?

It's literally the FIRST NUMBER in the list.

And for even greater context, I helpfully (and crucially) divide into ES and PP time (and PK time when relevant).

Here's the example you quoted:

16-17 (26): 13:32, 52.7xgf% (+2.8rel), 2.05p/60 (8.7oish%) - PP 2:12, 5.69p60 (15.0oish%)

So that's 13:32 of even strength ice time and 2:12 of PP time. Literally the first number I use.

(And when available (not at the moment unfortunately), the second number I list is a graded number for opponents' ice time, to give us an idea of the quality of competition the player faces.)

So there you go - my stats not only already include the biggest thing you thought they were missing, but I even provide greater context to it than even you ask for.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How did you not notice that my stats include ice time?

It's literally the FIRST NUMBER in the list.

And for even greater context, I helpfully (and crucially) divide into ES and PP time (and PK time when relevant).

Here's the example you quoted:

So that's 13:32 of even strength ice time and 2:12 of PP time. Literally the first number I use.

(And when available (not at the moment unfortunately), the second number I list is a graded number for opponents' ice time, to give us an idea of the quality of competition the player faces.)

So there you go - my stats not only already include the biggest thing you thought they were missing, but I even provide greater context to it than even you ask for.

Any other suggestions?

Do I have any other suggestions? Absolutely, answer my question which I've repeated several times - how do you weight these numbers? What's your formula? I've asked you this more than once and you keep ignoring the question while badgering me to answer your questions. You've left several of my questions unanswered but I'll let you off the hook for the other is you just answer this one.

Without this, your numbers mean nothing. You give us the numbers, and then say Kerfoot>Kadri without telling us how you got there.

I'm telling you my formula - ignore xgf% and everything else as in this case (and probably most cases), ice time tells you all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad