The Great Fight Debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A. the post wasn't directed at any one side or the other.
B. the analogy was pretty apt, you get it pretty clearly, whether it involves actual real life analogies or fairy land tales or what ever, the point remains the same, but hey, way to take it out context to keep sounding 'cool'. just keep going with that.

Not having police because they don’t prevent crime is one thing. Not having enforcers on a hockey team’s roster because they don’t prevent cheap shots is something else entirely.

You say the point remains the same regardless of what analogy it involves, but that’s not true. You are saying that enforcers in hockey operate on the same principles as the police, which is pretty clearly not true.

The analogy is not apt, it’s flawed. I wasn’t trying to be cool (that ship has sailed), I was just pointing that out.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Personally, I cannot wait for the B’s (probably Cam) to go out and add some “toughness” to the roster...

Just so I can listen to people complain that the tough guy didn’t do anything about a particular situation or player when it happens.

:laugh:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Again, not asking for a fighter in specific. Just want some size and physicality up front is all. Someone who will hold guys accountable, not be afraid to get his nose dirty and be a hammer instead of a nail. That's all. I don't get why that's so hard for people to understand.

Not asking for a Trevor Gillies, Asking for a guy who can slot into a 3rd line, and maybe move up on some occasions a la Tom Wilson. Are those players hard to find? Yeah, probably. Impossible? No.
Bruins could have got Evander Kane for a song and instead we paid for a far inferior and softer Rick Nash. Of course Rick Nash apologists will say that he was great until a concussion but the numbers sucked before Boston and his production before and after the concussion were actually identical.

Again, nobody's actually calling for a fourth line Meathead goon, Evander Kane would have been a great fit with size and tons of grit to go with his skill. Brayden Schenn was available and we had no interest in him either (relative to what was paid to get him). There have been plenty of skilled guys with grit that have been available but this organization hasn't been interested in acquiring them, we would obviously pay way more to get a Rick Nash -- a guy that was taken out by a cheap shot hit from Tampa Bay. Then Tampa Bay ran roughshod over us in the playoffs. I sure would have liked to had Kane in that series.... instead our GM provided us with the corpse of Brian Gionta.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Personally, I cannot wait for the B’s (probably Cam) to go out and add some “toughness” to the roster...

Just so I can listen to people complain that the tough guy didn’t do anything about a particular situation or player when it happens.

:laugh:

I just want them to play more like Tampa did against us in the playoffs on a more consistent basis. It would be great if it could be squeezed out of our current roster (Bjork seems to be getting there), but it may require addition. Not for fighting, but for hitting and grinding.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Bruins have essentially carried a guy or two in the top 6 from 2010-2015 who were pretty physical, guys like Lucic, Horton, Iginla, etc. Now it seems like they're content not just not having a guy in the top 6, but top 9.

Are you sure about that though? Isn't it more of a possibility that guys like that are hard to find and simply don't become available all that often? It's a unicorn in today's NHL. Top 6 skill with physicality and an edge? Yeah, that's really a tall order. So what you get now is all skill in the top 6 (like the B's top 6) and the bottom 6 with some grit. Do the Bruins need more? Sure. I'd be on board, but again, the guy has to be a useful hockey player first and foremost. If the only thing he does is hit or fight, it's not a fit. Wagner's value isn't that he hits. It's that he hits, can play a regular shift on the bottom line and provide energy, plus he kills penalties.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Bruins could have got Evander Kane for a song and instead we paid for a far inferior and softer Rick Nash. Of course Rick Nash apologists will say that he was great until a concussion but the numbers sucked before Boston and his production before and after the concussion were actually identical.

Again, nobody's actually calling for a fourth line Meathead goon, Evander Kane would have been a great fit with size and tons of grit to go with his skill. Brayden Schenn was available and we had no interest in him either (relative to what was paid to get him). There have been plenty of skilled guys with grit that have been available but this organization hasn't been interested in acquiring them, we would obviously pay way more to get a Rick Nash -- a guy that was taken out by a cheap shot hit from Tampa Bay. Then Tampa Bay ran roughshod over us in the playoffs. I sure would have liked to had Kane in that series.... instead our GM provided us with the corpse of Brian Gionta.

Kane has a cap hit of $7 million per for 6 more years. And he's shown himself to be a complete asshat at times over his career. Hardly the good character kind of player, even if he likes the physical game.

As for Nash, they got him because it was an expiring contract,imo. I don't think they were looking to get a high dollar/long term deal to add to their bottom line for the next 3,4,5,6 etc years. I'd bet they wanted more kids to step up and earn spots instead.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
B instead our GM provided us with the corpse of Brian Gionta.

:laugh: Yeah that was a stupid move. Kane looks like he is doing well in SJ and maybe has put some of that personal crap behind him. I don't know if it was worth the risk at the time though. He could have easily continued to be a locker room cancer. SJ took a chance on him and so far it is paying off.

As for acquiring guys, I'd need to know more about what was offered, if anything, if teams even talked with the Bruins about deals etc. before making a judgement. It's just possible that teams that were dealing were not moving them in division in the case of Kane, or no one the Bruins were willing to part with met needs. Perhaps there was a lot more going on than just the team being more interested in Gionta or Rick Nash.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I see what the coach sees, very obvious to many here
Your comment that this is an issue isolated to Boston was so far off base as to be laughable. THAT'S what's not grounded in reality. I agree with Cassidy's assessment the other night that more pushback was needed. But if you honestly believe that only Boston has that problem, then maybe you should watch a little more hockey.

Reactions: Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Your comment that this is an issue isolated to Boston was so far off base as to be laughable. THAT'S what's not grounded in reality. I agree with Cassidy's assessment the other night that more pushback was needed. But if you honestly believe that only Boston has that problem, then maybe you should watch a little more hockey.

I’m watching hockey right now. It’s the only sport here.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Still waiting on the quotes from Cassidy that you keep referring to...
I think he's referring to this: (Link here)
Head coach Bruce Cassidy explained his team’s struggles in a postgame interview on NESN, saying he’s unhappy with the team’s lack of urgency on defense.

“I didn’t like the pushback of certain guys in our group,” Cassidy said. “Listen, the goaltending wasn’t great, we all saw that tonight. They had off nights, it’s going to happen. We play 82 of these. Halak’s been great for us, we know Tuukka’s going to be solid. … We need to redefine a few roles, that’s on the coaching staff to make sure the message gets across in games like that. You’ve got to turn the tide and it’s through goals, it’s through big hits, through physical play and I just think we have to readdress certain individuals in that aspect of the game.”

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think he's referring to this: (Link here)

Thanks GM!

That’s certainly a fair assessment that I don’t think anyone here disagrees with and frankly we should all be happy the head coach is saying this.

I just don’t see where it seems that the Bruins have these isolated issues that can’t be fixed. Half the battle is recognition

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Just to clarify, Bergeron was not “smoked” into the boards. Faksa held him up unnecessarily as he was trying to chase the puck down and then appeared to fall, putting 37 into the boards. I didn’t like the play, and thought it was dangerous, but not intentional (just stupid).

The lack of respect for 37 and the play into the boards shows how little opponents think about the rep right now. Open season on Bruins. All good right? The new NHL?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The lack of respect for 37 and the play into the boards shows how little opponents think about the rep right now. Open season on Bruins. All good right? The new NHL?

You are welcome to your opinion, but I think this is false. The Faksa hold/hit was a hockey play. He was trying to hold Bergeron up after he dumped the puck and was heading into the DAL zone. It happens all the time, only Faksa interfered with him too much and the play ended up in the boards. It was a dumb play on Faksa’s part and should have been an obstruction call, but I didn’t see any malice or intent there.

I thought that Polak taking some shots at Krug in the scrum was more indicative of a “lack of respect than the hit on Bergeron, and it’s in large part due to the guys who are injured. If Chara and/or Miller are healthy, maybe Polak doesn’t do that? Maybe he does anyway because he’s a knucklehead?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad