Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Keep Your Cats Spayed or Neutered

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Good:
Ullmark: Fantastic game. Hopefully they keep splitting between the two relatively evenly enough and don’t let one guy get burnt out.

LOG Line- vicious on the forecheck. They just do a great job of grinding down whoever they play.

Jokiharju- this kid is the real deal. He’s gonna be a top-4 if not top pair guy.

Eichel- He’s definitely playing a more complete game this year. I wish he would’ve buried on of his chances, but he got that key first shot to open the shoot out as well.

Krueger- this guy just seems to know people. How to talk to them, how to talk about them (especially in this job in public to the media), how to use them (as players, that is). I think he’s a great evaluator and thinker, so yes able to put players in the proper position to succeed.

Bad-
Sobotka- his stick is where play seems to go to die. To me it seemed like there were plays where Reinhart/Johansson skipped a more open Sobotka because they knew he’d make a bad play.

Dahlin- he just looked off tonight.

Mittelstadt- minus the shootout winner, he hasn’t gotten going offensively. It might just take more time, but I’m just getting anxious to see him go off offensively.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
3+ goals in each of the first 5 games. Now THAT is a sign of a high end offense.

I love the fact we won tonight due to goals from GLO line and Scandella with a GW SO goal by Mitts for good measure.

I love this team. They can run and gun with the best of them and also clamp down if need be. And we are not 100% yet. Adding Montour is going to be huge.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Ive noticed that Dahlin doesnt carry the puck up the ice into the O zone as much, like he was doing last year. Am I dumb? (Probably) Or is that just Krueger's system?

Reactions: Mortiz

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
If you told me that the Sabres:

- Top 6 would not score
- All offense would come through LOG
- Got out shot 19-4 in the 3rd period

I would have predicted a 6-2 loss.

Finding a way to win is great, but 3rd periods like that are unsustainable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
G: CM clearly imitating Koivu with that SO move. Unlike Mikko, however, it actually worked!
Ulmark was superb.
Okposo...WTF?
Eichel cementing his status as a star in this league.

B: Risto is not Suter... stop playing him so damn much!

U: you're 4-0-1, there is no ugly. You want ugly, watch a Wild game.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Shamelessly borrowing from the main board:

Dahlin looked overwhelmed by the cats

60pets.jpg

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
f***ing love a good goalie battle. This was one of them. Amazing that Ullmark ended up on top. Props to the team, they are exciting and they are winning. Cant ask for more!

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
This was a team that we struggled against last year and I believe game control was 60-40 for the Sabres. Krueger is slowly making me believe he’s the real deal. I still think we are punching outside of our weight class though but we haven’t gone up against any guaranteed playoff teams yet.

Eichel showed glimpses of being one of the best players in this league. Haven’t liked the top line 5v5 though.

LOG line was great again. Elite 4th line just too bad it costs so much.

Was quite impressed by Joker tonight. I thought he was our best D.

Reactions: Feniggles

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Very strong game from scandella and risto. Both really stood out and really played great games tonight.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
[QUOTE="LOG was great again. Elite 4th line just too bad it costs so much.
/QUOTE]
Really?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart did get kind of caved in based on scoring chances but I wonder how much of that was in the 3rd period
As a line Olofsson/Jack/Sam...

Were dead even in scoring chances

SCF -> 5
SCA -> 5
SCF% -> 50%a SCF% of 50%

But they were badly out possessed.

CF -> 8
CA -> 13
CF% -> 38%

And outshot

SF -> 5
SA -> 10
SF% -> 33.3%

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
ERod/Mitts 6:16 5v5 9 corsi for
Vladdy 14:25 5v5 8corsi for

I dont care about his physicality or faceoff, vlad needs to be getting the least ice time

What exactly do you think thats telling us? CF tells us next to nothing by itself.

Jack (16:08) and Skinner (14:52) both had a CF of 10
Sam (16:21) and Mojo (14:28 had CF of 9
Vlad (14:25) and Olofsson (12:01) had a CF of 8.

Nothing remotely out of place with his CF number compared to his contemporaries.

Mitts and Erod had 80% and 100% OZS% respectively.
Vlad and his entire line had 0% OZS%.

Vlad and company had a far more difficult usage. Mitts line had a ridiculously sheltered deployment.

I don’t see how any of these numbers make the argument that Vlad should be singled out over his CF.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The only thing that irked me a ton outside of the last call was the fact that the Sabres seemed to lost at what to do when a Florida player was with the puck behind our net...someone has to make a move you can't just sit there and let the rest of the team get setup.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
The only thing that irked me a ton outside of the last call was the fact that the Sabres seemed to lost at what to do when a Florida player was with the puck behind our net...someone has to make a move you can't just sit there and let the rest of the team get setup.

So in other words, our D-men suck because we aren't effective in the area directly behind the net. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cybresabre

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Panthers did a great job pressuring us whilst we had the PP not allowing us to set up. Definitely needs to be worked on to counter PPs like that. If Jack holding the puck can draw 2 defenders just opens up the other 4 guys with only 2 opponents for a mismatch.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad