Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Keep Your Cats Spayed or Neutered

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

It’s quite refreshing to have a coach that’s not afraid to bench players and go with those who he thinks will get him the win. It’s much healthier for the team. Ride the hot hand and let those struggling redeem themselves next game. So basically like any good coach does...

Pretty excited that we might actually have a good coach finally. Please don’t let me down Krueger.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Glad they're winning. But to compete with Car, Bos, and Tampa they'll need to be sharper.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
It’s quite refreshing to have a coach that’s not afraid to bench players and go with those who he thinks will get him the win. It’s much healthier for the team. Ride the hot hand and let those struggling redeem themselves next game. So basically like any good coach does...

Pretty excited that we might actually have a good coach finally. Please don’t let me down Krueger.

Phil also did some of that...except his logic was terribly flawed, like thinking that playing Remi Elie against Dallas would help them win because former team yadda-yadda.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
Ive noticed that Dahlin doesnt carry the puck up the ice into the O zone as much, like he was doing last year. Am I dumb? (Probably) Or is that just Krueger's system?

It started already last year when Phil said he shouldn't try and make stuff happen every shift. Krueger has said similar things now and that they are working hard with him, trying to change him into Risto Jr I suppose. Feels obvious to me that right now Krueger only trusts him in PP and I think that's not been good for his confidence. That and the very soft penalties the refs have taken against him last 3 games just cuz BUF had a couple PP's before that.

He was alot better first 3 games but last 2 he's looked like he did last season when he had worse games and I think it's a confidence and too much coaching thing personally. Hope he can find his way back soon and that he is rewarded with more than 3rd pair minutes so he feels he has the confidence he deserved first 3 games.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The priority is winning games. Dahlin has to develop within that context.
In part, I agree, but today Risto and McCabe were overwhelmed against Florida at the end of the third period, perhaps if there were Dahlin or another defender on the court, we would not have missed the second goal. So far, of course, I trust Krueger and I hope he knows what is doing. I would not want Dahlin to stop progressing and to stop developing, because this child is special and immediately became my favorite Buffalo player.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
In part, I agree, but today Risto and McCabe were overwhelmed against Florida at the end of the third period, perhaps if there were Dahlin or another defender on the court, we would not have missed the second goal. So far, of course, I trust Krueger and I hope he knows what is doing. I would not want Dahlin to stop progressing and to stop developing, because this child is special and immediately became my favorite Buffalo player.
Krueger mentioned in his press conference that the Sabres haven't had a day off in 11 days and alluded to Dahlin being worn down.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If you told me that the Sabres:

- Top 6 would not score
- All offense would come through LOG
- Got out shot 19-4 in the 3rd period

I would have predicted a 6-2 loss.

Finding a way to win is great, but 3rd periods like that are unsustainable.
I don’t know how much of that was by choice. Florida had a great push in the third. And the refs weren’t helping. Agree not sustainable but not sure it’s a symptom/ problem.

They're playing a lot of games. This will be the first 2 day rest right?
and the road trip starts, so not much rest coming.

The Panthers did a great job pressuring us whilst we had the PP not allowing us to set up. Definitely needs to be worked on to counter PPs like that. If Jack holding the puck can draw 2 defenders just opens up the other 4 guys with only 2 opponents for a mismatch.
Agree. Cats did a GREAT job pressuring Sabres PP and BUF needs to practice their response.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I might be the only person who didn't like Eichel last night. He seemed to be pressing too much. I think the linemate changes had him trying to be a solo act too often in the game. He wasn't "bad" per se. Just wasn't as good as he could have been. I'm not sure if he was on vs Barkov's line much, but it was worth noting that Barkov was quiet.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I also thought Joker should have played more.You can't play Risto and Jake 25 plus minutes results won't be good.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I might be the only person who didn't like Eichel last night. He seemed to be pressing too much. I think the linemate changes had him trying to be a solo act too often in the game. He wasn't "bad" per se. Just wasn't as good as he could have been. I'm not sure if he was on vs Barkov's line much, but it was worth noting that Barkov was quiet.

Eh. Barkov has owned Jack for a few years now. Last night was a vast improvement. I’m good with it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Thought Risto and Cabes were more - not on the same page - than just crappy. Missing each other behind the net and along the boards is simple stuff. When Jake's more comfortable, he's much more noticeable.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
With Dahlin being seen as a 3rd pair defenseman by Krueger, is there any chance that when Montour and Bogo finally do come back, if Dahlin will find himself out of the lineup from time to time?

It would be an insane thing for Krueger to do. But his usage does have me wondering how Krueger views Dahlin at this point of time

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
What exactly do you think thats telling us? CF tells us next to nothing by itself.

Jack (16:08) and Skinner (14:52) both had a CF of 10
Sam (16:21) and Mojo (14:28 had CF of 9
Vlad (14:25) and Olofsson (12:01) had a CF of 8.

Nothing remotely out of place with his CF number compared to his contemporaries.

Mitts and Erod had 80% and 100% OZS% respectively.
Vlad and his entire line had 0% OZS%.

Vlad and company had a far more difficult usage. Mitts line had a ridiculously sheltered deployment.

I don’t see how any of these numbers make the argument that Vlad should be singled out over his CF.

8 minutes less, I dont care how he was deployed, playing with Skinner and Johansson, gee I wonder who the offensive drag is

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think part of it is that this team is still learning how to close out games. We have had trash behind the bench for the last few years and then some. This group is unlearning everything they have learned in that time.

Possibly. I think it would be valuable for the team to just play a game 60 minutes the same way with a lead. Bylsma and Housley used to turtle up as soon as the team had a lead. Just let them blow some teams out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad