Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Keep Your Cats Spayed or Neutered

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I think part of it is that this team is still learning how to close out games. We have had trash behind the bench for the last few years and then some. This group is unlearning everything they have learned in that time.

the hot takes in here are just unbelievable....

I sort of think we as posters are probably in the process of unlearning some of our habits too.

Not all to say that there's nothing to critique or debate, but just that for the last stretch of years that's the majority of what we've had available to be us. More positive than negative is a new thing. And we're also still a bit burned from getting our hopes up in the past and having the bottom fall out.

Being a Sabres fan the last stretch of years puts us in need of some form of posting therapy/rehabilitation. :laugh:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I sort of think we as posters are probably in the process of unlearning some of our habits too.

Not all to say that there's nothing to critique or debate, but just that for the last stretch of years that's the majority of what we've had available to be us. More positive than negative is a new thing. And we're also still a bit burned from getting our hopes up in the past and having the bottom fall out.

Being a Sabres fan the last stretch of years puts us in need of some form of posting therapy/rehabilitation. :laugh:
I have no problem with the way they have played for the most part. I am extremely happy with the team so far. I just know that there are some areas that will need to be worked out before we can really become a competitive team every night.

Our first periods are often to slow and our third periods are decent, but we have given up an awful lot of good scoring chances. Tighten those areas up and we are already a much more consistent team.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
this was a tough win. refs really blew it in the third, but the boys weathered the storm and regrouped heading into OT. I like this team a lot so far. they've shown a lot of resilience against some pretty good teams. Gotta keep the train a movin

Reactions: debaser66

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
the hot takes in here are just unbelievable....

This hot take is unbelievable....(see, I can post this, too)

You really can't believe some people have opinions? And what's with the overuse of the phrase hot take these days? Not asking you, Beerz, just in general. Are we all supposed be on the same page just because we visit the same website? It's not like anything outlandish has been said. Go visit the Trade forum for that.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
With Dahlin being seen as a 3rd pair defenseman by Krueger, is there any chance that when Montour and Bogo finally do come back, if Dahlin will find himself out of the lineup from time to time?

It would be an insane thing for Krueger to do. But his usage does have me wondering how Krueger views Dahlin at this point of time

Zero chance IMO. I think Krueger views him as an insanely talented 19 year old still learning the NHL challenges and how best to use his skills. Even at 19 he is regularly making jaw dropping plays, with semi frequent mistakes. Krueger said he looked worn down a bit and FLA was looking to press hard and force mistakes.

No problem at all with the decision and I don't think it suggests a negative view of Rasmus by Krueger at all IMO

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I wonder if dividing up the third line would help overall

Oloffson Eichel Vesey
Skinner Johansson Mittlestadt
Rodrigues Sobotka Reinhart
Okposo Larsson Girgs

The hope would be that Reinhart can drive the line with Erods knack of getting open and Sobotka can win draws and hopefully cycle to erod/Sam.

Just an idea to balance out a third line.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I wonder if dividing up the third line would help overall

Oloffson Eichel Vesey
Skinner Johansson Mittlestadt
Rodrigues Sobotka Reinhart
Okposo Larsson Girgs

The hope would be that Reinhart can drive the line with Erods knack of getting open and Sobotka can win draws and hopefully cycle to erod/Sam.

Just an idea to balance out a third line.
help with what? We got 9/10 so far and the advanced numbers support the idea that we're a pretty good hockey team

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The last two games they won weren't the prettiest, but I feel like they are finding different ways to win, which is what good teams do. Unlike the win streak last year, which felt like bounces were just going their way and the Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart line led the way.

Reactions: valet and Chainshot

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hes been taking penalties every game now.. kid is undisciplined and those penalties are gonna cost against good teams.
More than playing Ristolainen for 25 minutes against those good teams?

I honestly do not give a damn how Dahlin is playing on any given night, he needs to play because he can create game winning moments out of nothing.

Reactions: Mortiz and valet

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
With Dahlin being seen as a 3rd pair defenseman by Krueger, is there any chance that when Montour and Bogo finally do come back, if Dahlin will find himself out of the lineup from time to time?

It would be an insane thing for Krueger to do. But his usage does have me wondering how Krueger views Dahlin at this point of time
No chance

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The last two games they won weren't the prettiest, but I feel like they are finding different ways to win, which is what good teams do. Unlike the win streak last year, which felt like bounces were just going their way and the Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart line led the way.
It's also encouraging they can find a way to win when that line gets completely shutdown. Reinhart has been noticeably bad the past couple of games, imo. He'll come around, tho.

Also, Dahlin will get out of his funk. He's just over thinking everything right now.

I want Sobotka replaced on the second line, though I dont mind him as a 13th forward, which is progress compared to where I was at 2 weeks ago.

He just has no offensive skill, and he doesn't play with enough tenacity. When i say tenacity, I dont mean laying a hit every now and then, which he's done much better this year, I mean I want him going 110% in puck battles 100% of the time. That's what he needs to do to be on the second line, and he just doesn't do that consistently.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You know, the other team is trying to win too. Panthers have some really good players...they are going to make their opponents look bad at times, even though they aren't bad players.

Let's see if this team is a mirage, but maybe that hot stretch last year was a foreshadowing of good things to come. If Okposo can come back into form it would be huge.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex

If you want pretty maybe try the ice capades. The team that won the cup last year played with grit, relentless hard work, hot goaltending, and puck luck.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Another good. I like ERod on that Mittelstadt line more than Sheary. I also think that Vesey is better with better skill around him, and that he may be caught in Mittelstadts vortex.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If you want pretty maybe try the ice capades. The team that won the cup last year played with grit, relentless hard work, hot goaltending, and puck luck.
Man, just thinking about playoffs last year has me itching for them to get here already.... Such a great thing to watch

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Another good. I like ERod on that Mittelstadt line more than Sheary. I also think that Vesey is better with better skill around him, and that he may be caught in Mittelstadts vortex.

Eh. On the breakway Mitts had, he fed Vesey in front for a tap-in. Mitts had the breakway stopped, went behind the net with the puck and threw it back out in front. Vesey was there but wasn't paying attention and didn't have his stick on the ice. A better player is ready for that opportunity and puts that on net. Vesey didn't even take a swing at it, it just went right by him.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Thought Dahlin was just getting ahead of himself on a bunch of plays, really just a lack of focus. It was like the puck was coming to him (couple times along the boards), and he'd already have his head up and looking where he could pass the puck and then whiffed.

This does not worry me in the least. Being able to process the options he'd have before the puck even gets to him is something that cannot be taught. Getting a little sloppy on a few pucks can be corrected pretty easily IMHO.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
8 minutes less, I dont care how he was deployed, playing with Skinner and Johansson, gee I wonder who the offensive drag is

I get that you don’t like Skinner and thats fine. But the stats you're using don’t make your argument at all.

All 6 members of the top 2 lines had CFs ranging from 8-10 and played 6-10mins more than Mitts/Erod. I could apply the same CF and more minutes played argument to any of them like you did with Sobotka. The numbers would tell the same story for each of them. Which shows how meaningless an argument based on those numbers is.

The Skinner/Mojo/Sobotka had the toughest deployment had the 2nd best xGF% of our lines.

Lines and their OZS%/xGF%

Girgs/Larsson/Okoposo —> 50%/74%
Skinner/Mojo/Sobotka —> 0%/ 59%
Vesey/Mitts/Erod ———> 80%/41.4%
Olofsson/Jack/Sam ——> 100%/24.4%

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

That was my view watching last night’s game. It reminded me of the team last year: get a lead, sit back and allow the opponent to control play, go to OT/lose.

The team definitely has more depth than last year, but sitting back when they have the lead is always a recipe for disaster with this team.

Eichel playing 25 minutes a night is not a great idea, same with Risto. The more exhausted they are, the more likely they are to make bad decisions.

If they play like last night for most of the season, then the Sabres aren’t making the playoffs.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm tired of the "they sit back" narrative tbh. Every team sits back, that's not the problem (though I would prefer if we didn't but that requires a progressive coach)

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
I'm tired of the "they sit back" narrative tbh. Every team sits back, that's not the problem (though I would prefer if we didn't but that requires a progressive coach)

They were also tired by the 3rd because L3 was not contributing much and Ralph was over playing L1/2/4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->