Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Foligno Hop

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if we really played that bad of a game. Columbus was excellent and you have to give credit where it's due. However we never stopped skating and I felt like we were somewhat dangerous all night long. Our defense really needs to tighten up a bit but I don't see an obvious reason that we played badly tonight other than the fact Columbus really played a fantastic game.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
There is no way to "shake-up" the first line. You don't have another RW, your 2nd line C is doing spot duty, and only an idiot would change VO

VO can play the right side.

Skinner-Eichel-VO
X-Johansson-Reinhart

fill in accordingly. Tage being the answer at RW2 by the end of the year would be great. If he continues to score at the pace he is at now he won't be down for long.

once Tage earns a full time spot

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Johansson-Thompson

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Throwing Jack out there again for that last shift was a mistake by Krueger. He didn't have anything left in the tank.
Highly disagree with this. He might have been a little gassed but he definitely should have been out there and there's no way in hell housley would have ever had the imagination to do that.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
At the end of the day Columbus played 100% perfect, jumped out to a 2 goal lead, there passing was impeccable and they deserved to win. The fact we got to OT and only lost on an atrocious Jack turnover was a "win" overall.

Jack better get 3 points next game to make up for his awful game. He was garbage ever since he tried passing to Sam instead of ripping it on the 2 on 1. Jack should get some pointers from Skinner on when/how to shoot in close.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
VO can play the right side.

Skinner-Eichel-VO
X-Johansson-Reinhart

fill in accordingly. Tage being the answer at RW2 by the end of the year would be great. If he continues to score at the pace he is at now he won't be down for long.

once Tage earns a full time spot

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Johansson-Thompson
I WANT MY TAGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Snippit

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Feel like some people watched another game. I thought Risto and McCabe were awful. Constantly pressured on the forecheck and unable to play clean breakouts to the forwards. I would look to trade both Risto and McCabe if Pilut and Montour were back in the lineup (Bogosian as 7D).

Dahlin and Johansson were the best skaters for Buffalo. I didnt even care for the first of Dahlin's interference calls, that was a weak call that could have gone either way. The second against Foligno was bad discipline after being stuck in the zone for too long.

Ullmark was fine, but rebound control felt a bit erratic. I'll hold my reservations until he has larger sample size.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Only caught the first, but CB looked hungry and seemed to have a good game plan for shutting down the Sabres' offense. Sabres just didn't have it tonight but hung in there- I said it earlier, if this is our bad game I'll take it. If this is our normal play we should be concerned. But I liked what I saw the first two games enough to have hope that that's the real Sabres, and this is one of those that'd have been 6-1 and a complete meltdown were this last season.

Reactions: Vito_81

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I can’t wait until Risto and Scandella are gone and replaced by real NHL defenseman.

Hoping we can trade Risto for someone to take Sobotka’s spot on line 2.

How long until ERod gets a chance over that bum?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I want to see how Kruger responds, specifically. Scandella/Joker had an abysmal game. Let's see if he makes any changes or keeps status quo.
I actually want to see how Krueger responds to Eichel.Yes we can sit Scandella , Vesey bla bla.The coach talks about accountability.Eichel was embarrassing last night from the start to the finish.He is their captain.I love Jack but that is not leadership.See how he plays next game.If he comes out and plays like last night then Kreuger didn't talk to him.If he comes out smoking then the coach did his job and we will be fine.Its easy to rip the marginal players but this team needs their best players to be their best players

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Only caught the first, but CB looked hungry and seemed to have a good game plan for shutting down the Sabres' offense. Sabres just didn't have it tonight but hung in there- I said it earlier, if this is our bad game I'll take it. If this is our normal play we should be concerned. But I liked what I saw the first two games enough to have hope that that's the real Sabres, and this is one of those that'd have been 6-1 and a complete meltdown were this last season.

My thoughts exactly.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: We got a point while looking that bad.

Skinners strip and score

Botts needs to sign 4 more Johansson level free agents. We'd be scary damn good if our dead wood players were replaced with mojo level talent.

B: No forwards had the confidence to skate with the puck besides Eichel in the 1st, it was like they were playing hot potato, terrified to be the one with the puck. This has been an ongoing theme for these players on nights where they look bad in previous seasons. Their aversion to carrying the puck was leading to forcing passes when they didn't need to, this was a big reason so many of their passes didn't connect.

Skinner besides the strip and score

U: Too many passengers among the forwards. Reinhart chief among them, he was a complete non-factor. Couldn't even tell you where his assist came from.

The other MIA forwards
Sheary
Sobotka
Vesey
Mitts

Ullmarks positioning on that first goal.

McCabe and Scandella need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Some of you might wanna slow your roll on the McCabe & Risto chatter for this game, they started under 20% of their shifts in the offensive zone, were exclusively matched up against the PLD line, and still managed a 50% GF and 52% xGF.

If you're looking to place blame on this one it's pretty simple, our 3rd defensive pairing and 2 out of our 4 forward lines got absolutely caved in.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the deployment in this one. I'm a big advocate of balanced deployment, minutes, and zone starts, but Krueger looks like he's riding the core hard and playing matchup hockey. Hopefully this one game is just an anomoly based on the struggles of individual players.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Jersey #PositionPlayerGame #2
6DScandella-1
9FEichel-1
10DJokiharju-1
13FVesey0
17FSobotka0
19DMcCabe0
21FOkposo1
22FLarsson1
23FReinhart0
26DDahlin1
28FGirgensons1
33DMiller1
37FMittelstadt0
43FSheary0
53FSkinner1
55DRistolainen0
68FOlofsson0
90FJohansson1
35GUllmark0
40GHutton-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tried to keep this as level-headed and non-emotion driven as possible.

Good first test for the Sabres. I felt they were not ready as players for the pace and preparedness of Columbus.

Felt the 4th line played well and was the only line that was consistent. The MaJo line picked up the quality of play in the 2nd. The Eichel line was non-existent for most of the game. Same thing with Mittelstadt line.

Thought Ullmark kept us in the game with the amount of saves he had, he was sloppy, often times out of position, and at many points lost track of the puck.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
This game was very reminiscent of many of the games during the 10-game win streak last year. If this had been game one there wouldn't have been a whole lot of optimism for the season. Thankfully, the prior 2 games do exist to provide hope that this game was/will be the exception rather than the rule this year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This game was very reminiscent of many of the games during the 10-game win streak last year. If this had been game one there wouldn't have been a whole lot of optimism for the season. Thankfully, the prior 2 games do exist to provide hope that this game was/will be the exception rather than the rule this year.
The next game is going to be an important chapter in the story. It's one thing for them to say "on to the next one" and another thing to see them actually do it. Stay out of the rut boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad