Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Foligno Hop

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Not really upset at this one. It wasn't their greatest game, but the fact that they kept it close and got a point out of it while playing less than great hockey is pretty positive. In years past, this game was a definite loss with no points. Columbus had something to prove after getting wrecked the first couple games, so I'm happy Buffalo stayed in it and kept it interesting. Can't win every game, but grabbing those extra points when possible is big. On to Montreal!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rough game. Sabres could really use a Tom Wilson type minus the *****ebaggery.

That's tough to find. In terms of big, rumbling, physical wingers there are not many who are somewhat skilled and somewhat physical without an element of DB'ery. Wilson, Kassian, maybe Ritchie on a good day, Benn (not paying that) and the Tkachuk brothers perhaps? Maybe they can groom Thompson into the traffic and movement to the opposition net side of "physical", ie. imposing his frame on others in a manner where the opponent has deal with the load that he is vs. running them through the boards.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some of you might wanna slow your roll on the McCabe & Risto chatter for this game, they started under 20% of their shifts in the offensive zone, were exclusively matched up against the PLD line, and still managed a 50% GF and 52% xGF.

If you're looking to place blame on this one it's pretty simple, our 3rd defensive pairing and 2 out of our 4 forward lines got absolutely caved in.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the deployment in this one. I'm a big advocate of balanced deployment, minutes, and zone starts, but Krueger looks like he's riding the core hard and playing matchup hockey. Hopefully this one game is just an anomoly based on the struggles of individual players.

If we're levelling blame, Scandella had more to do with how they lost this game than any other defenseman. And again Mitts line got nothing done outside of his one nice backcheck early.

I like that he shortened his bench by situation rather than just rolling out the next line/next pair like Phil was prone to doing.

Thinking about it more this morning, they were close in HDSC and 5-on-5 in a game we viewed through the lense of recent games as being "bad" yet still came back from down 2 to force OT. Ullmark looked in control and square almost all night, though there was one late flurry where it looked like someone spiked his espresso with adderall judging by his flailing, and that was a quality start. Comeback, good goalie start, PP clicking again are all good things.

Reactions: Fezzy126

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Some of you might wanna slow your roll on the McCabe & Risto chatter for this game, they started under 20% of their shifts in the offensive zone, were exclusively matched up against the PLD line, and still managed a 50% GF and 52% xGF.

If you're looking to place blame on this one it's pretty simple, our 3rd defensive pairing and 2 out of our 4 forward lines got absolutely caved in.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the deployment in this one. I'm a big advocate of balanced deployment, minutes, and zone starts, but Krueger looks like he's riding the core hard and playing matchup hockey. Hopefully this one game is just an anomoly based on the struggles of individual players.

The caving in has nothing to do with zone starts. When McCabe and Ristolainen are pressured by the forecheck they give away pucks, or just try to bank it off the boards leading to the opposing team getting position. Are they slightly better than the third pairing? Sure, but which two can fetch the most in a trade? The team has 2 out of its 4 best defensemen on IR. The best value upgrade is to trade out, or at least look who is interested in, the middle pair. If Risto sticks a bit longer and Jokiharju gets to play top minutes in the AHL, it is no huge loss.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can’t believe I‘ve become such a Sobotka defender in the last week. Its gotten to the point that Ben Mathewson, Kevin@ntrider, The charging Buffalo etc are annoying me with their “take Sobotka out” takes on Twitter. What is happening? :laugh:

Reactions: Weltschmerz

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Sabres ate up Pittsburgh and New Jersey by passing into space. Columbus sat on those passes and generated counter attack. It lookedl ike Buffalo made some of the necessary adjustments. We'll see how the game in montreal plays out. They'll need more tricks as the season progresses.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The caving in has nothing to do with zone starts. When McCabe and Ristolainen are pressured by the forecheck they give away pucks, or just try to bank it off the boards leading to the opposing team getting position. Are they slightly better than the third pairing? Sure, but which two can fetch the most in a trade? The team has 2 out of its 4 best defensemen on IR. The best value upgrade is to trade out, or at least look who is interested in, the middle pair. If Risto sticks a bit longer and Jokiharju gets to play top minutes in the AHL, it is no huge loss.
The zone starts are represented of a tough matchup role. So yes they matter in that they inform us how they are used.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I can’t believe I‘ve become such a Sobotka defender in the last week. Its gotten to the point that Ben Mathewson, Kevin@ntrider, The charging Buffalo etc are annoying me with there take Sobotka out takes on Twitter. What is happening? :laugh:

I am annoyed by anyone who is ignoring what is happening in the games that count this season and still basing their takes on what happened last year or even before that.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am annoyed by anyone who is ignoring what is happening in the games that count this season and still basing their takes on what happened last year or even before that.

If we are airing grievances, at least it is new from the daily "trade Risto right now" tweets all summer.

Moving right along.....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The zone starts are represented of a tough matchup role. So yes they matter in that they inform us how they are used.

Wait, wait, wait... so you're saying starting in their own zone and against the other team's top line most of the night impacts things? Pffft.... Like the context is decisive or something. :sarcasm:

:biglaugh:

Reactions: Fezzy126

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we are airing grievances, at least it is new from the daily "trade Risto right now" tweets all summer.

Moving right along.....

They are still out there.

With Kulikov taking a leave of absence in Winnipeg, I'm sure there will be a flood of Risto to the Jets for ________ tweets today.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thats exactly what it is.

They are simply incapable of fairly analyzing his play to date. Also snarky as hell (Not Ben really) when anyone is disagreeing with them on it.

But I’m still chuckling that Vlad has played well enough to get me to defend him. I can honestly say I did not see that coming.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thats exactly what it is.

They are simply incapable of fairly analyzing his play to date. Also snarky as hell when anyone is disagreeing with them on it.

But I’m still chuckling that Vlad has played well enough to get me to defend him. I can honestly say I did not see that coming.

Vesey is the weakest link on the forward lines. Or Mitts himself...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Vesey is the weakest link on the forward lines. Or Mitts himself...
The irony of the Charging Buffalo tweet is the 4th line is not playing great because it’s the Mitts line not Larsson’s.

I mean what are these guys watching?

Vesey is the weakest link. Mitts has had his struggles and his positives like game one connecting with Sheary. I think Erod would be a nice add to that line.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Mitts was the one guy on his line that was stapled to the bench the rest of the way when they shortened the bench with 6 minutes left in regulation.
I think Erod with Mitts would help a lot assuming Erod is on his game. Mitts is the one center who doesn’t have a winger who can help him with the defensive work of the position. He is also probably the center who needs that help the most.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been giving Casey a pass for so long that I missed he didn't find a way out onto the ice when they needed a goal late in a game...which is supposed to be his bread-and-butter. And then he didn't get an OT shift either when there are vast amounts of room to skate and create is a bit telling. *growls*

Him evolving into a good player who can win his match-up without ridiculous sheltering would so move this team forward.

Reactions: Jim Bob

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Erod with Mitts would help a lot assuming Erod is on his game. Mitts is the one center who doesn’t have a winger who can help him with the defensive work of the position. He is also probably the center who needs that help the most.
Vlad would work in this role as well

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think ERod does a lot of the same things that made Eichel such a good linemate for Skinner. For Mittelstadt I'd prefer a certain veteran RW who's curiously still without a contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The difference between Skinner-Johansson and Sheary-Mittelstadt is pretty big tbf.

(Not that I'm trying to defend Vesey, he's been bad)

I have a Twitter mention of shuffling Vesey up into the MJ line on RW as a way of trying to balance things out. I'm not adverse to sitting him. Or Sobotka. Mitts on PP2 seems like it will insulate him.

The idea of putting Mittelstadt "up" on that unit would also work if they had a passable center who wouldn't get caved in and was known for his ability to make smart plays, defend, and chip in with some quality offense somewhere.... Asplund.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think ERod does a lot of the same things that made Eichel such a good linemate for Skinner. For Mittelstadt I'd prefer a certain veteran RW who's curiously still without a contract.

Now there is an idea...

Much like defending Vlad for joshjull, I am not one to heap laurels upon Poms, but at say a million for a year? Sure. RW is what they lack.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1