News Article: The future of Doug Wilson in San Jose

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Gorton didn’t do shit. He lucked into two lottery wins, signed a top-5 player in the world in free agency, and fell ass backward into signing a future #1D because the guy would only sign with the Rangers.

NYC tax aside, he's still done a good job putting together a young talented team. Zibanejad, Panarin, etc.

A lot of people say they will only play in NY. The team has to want them too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
NYC tax aside, he's still done a good job putting together a young talented team. Zibanejad, Panarin, etc.

A lot of people say they will only play in NY. The team has to want them too.

Yeah, it takes a real genius to want Panarin to sign with you.

I’d give you Zibanejad if the trade were with anyone but Ottawa. I just don’t see a single move that impresses me. NYR gathered talent by winning the lottery and signing high-end free agents who only wanted to sign with them. The Trouba trade was really bad, if you judge it in hindsight like everyone does the Karlsson trade, the Kreider extension was just as bad as Couture, and they’ve blown a whole bunch of really high picks like Kravstov and Andersson. I just don’t see how this guy is any better than Doug Wilson.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah, it takes a real genius to want Panarin to sign with you.

I’d give you Zibanejad if the trade were with anyone but Ottawa. I just don’t see a single move that impresses me. NYR gathered talent by winning the lottery and signing high-end free agents who only wanted to sign with them. The Trouba trade was really bad, if you judge it in hindsight like everyone does the Karlsson trade, the Kreider extension was just as bad as Couture, and they’ve blown a whole bunch of really high picks like Kravstov and Andersson. I just don’t see how this guy is any better than Doug Wilson.

Completely agree. It is such a huge advantage when an All Star free agent wants to sign with your team for reasons that aren't entirely organization-based. How much different does DW look if instead of EK65 the Sharks have Stamkos or Tavares at 1C?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Completely agree. It is such a huge advantage when an All Star free agent wants to sign with your team for reasons that aren't entirely organization-based. How much different does DW look if instead of EK65 the Sharks have Stamkos or Tavares at 1C?

If it was at the 13M that was reportedly offered for Tavares.. Very bad.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The geographical free agent advantage might be a bit overstated. Toronto has only signed Tavares in the last 20 (?) years. Minnesota got Parise and Suter. It's arguably led to more misses than hits.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
If it was at the 13M that was reportedly offered for Tavares.. Very bad.

Well if Tavares was born in California and grew up wearing Sharks PJs there is no reason to think DW would have needed to sign him for 13M which is part of my point. Much easier to be a GM when players will only sign with your team and do so for less money.

Also, Tavares on the Sharks roster PLUS the assets used to trade for EK65 most likely has the Sharks in or close to contender status.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Well if Tavares was born in California and grew up wearing Sharks PJs there is no reason to think DW would have needed to sign him for 13M which is part of my point. Much easier to be a GM when players will only sign with your team and do so for less money.

Also, Tavares on the Sharks roster PLUS the assets used to trade for EK65 most likely has the Sharks in or close to contender status.

The fact that he offered Tavares 13M is ridiculous no matter the reasoning. It would have been another terrible contract and arguably one of the worst in the league. Wilson has been willing to mortgage the future in hopes of keeping the Sharks window open without considering the long term ramifications.... and now here we are.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Ok, this is a good point.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
The fact that he offered Tavares 13M is ridiculous no matter the reasoning. It would have been another terrible contract and arguably one of the worst in the league. Wilson has been willing to mortgage the future in hopes of keeping the Sharks window open without considering the long term ramifications.... and now here we are.

sure but this doesn't take away from my point which is being the GM of the NYR is easier than being the GM of the Sharks... or at least has been for the past decade.

Reactions: Vachon23

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I am of the opinion he didnt do much either. He had high picks and two gifts. The team still isnt "good" and is apparently dysfunctional after what happened with Wilson the other night.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Gorton didn’t do shit. He lucked into two lottery wins, signed a top-5 player in the world in free agency, and fell ass backward into signing a future #1D because the guy would only sign with the Rangers.
I agree

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I indirectly know someone with the Sharks twitter PW, what can we post to get DW fired?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I have zero confidence this org knows how to pick a replacement GM.
it’s time for the prodigal son to come home

“The San Jose Sharks are pleased to announce that Dean Lombardi has returned to the organization to serve as General Manager.”

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
it’s time for the prodigal son to come home

“The San Jose Sharks are pleased to announce that Dean Lombardi has returned to the organization to serve as General Manager.”

I'd take it. Dean was instrumental in building LA into a contender and is great at extracting value from his roster.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hell no!!! You must not remember the Deano days.

I mean...yes? In a league where parity wasn't a thing and the Sharks operated under a tight budget, Lombardi did a fantastic job building a competitive team. The team constantly exceeded expectations, the drafting was excellent, and they always made the playoffs. Lombardi's big flaws were his aversion to risk and his contract negotiation tactics, and those are things he has improved on.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
See the problem I have with this is when you code the language to being 'digested as change for change's sake', you're making that argument anyway. It's a distinction without a difference. At the end of the day for me, you're simply not willing to hold the manager to account. If that's the case, what hope does one have of anything changing or the team holding itself accountable if the manager is accountable for nothing? As for the power, what has that gotten DW or the team? Where they're at right now. There have been a few inexperienced GM's that have won Cups. Brisebois isn't exactly experienced at GM and has done it. Rob Blake isn't exactly experienced at GM and hasn't been raked over the coals with this supposed power dynamic and is setting the Kings up pretty well to be competitive in the near future. What has DW done in his experience to warrant this sort of job security? Not all experience is good experience. If anything, DW's experience has shown that he doesn't know what it takes to put his team over the top. He can build a team that has a low ceiling and a high floor. Not terrible most of the time and pretty good most of the time but rarely great and never a championship. There are plenty of guys out there that warrant consideration for a GM position that I'd can DW for. Not everyone is experienced and I don't think it needs to be. All managers start somewhere with experience. By your logic, DW wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Perception vs reality is a real thing in sports and business, and when you make a move that makes you look weak, in this case firing a GM without a suitable replacement, other savvy GMs will take advantage. It weakens the position of the franchise.

Those are fair points at the end, but for me it's not enough to tip the scales. I strongly believe that bringing in a new GM and saddling them with cap baggage and "assets" like Jones and Vlasic is setting them up for failure. I'd rather let DW fill in the hole first before moving on to someone else

It's a risky decision either way and I am glad I don't have to make it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I mean...yes? In a league where parity wasn't a thing and the Sharks operated under a tight budget, Lombardi did a fantastic job building a competitive team. The team constantly exceeded expectations, the drafting was excellent, and they always made the playoffs. Lombardi's big flaws were his aversion to risk and his contract negotiation tactics, and those are things he has improved on.
He f***ed off 2 entire seasons by not simply paying Nolan and Nabokov what they were worth. He got better at those things in LA but I wouldn’t want any part of a reunion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad