WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
PertinentGroundedAfricancivet-max-1mb.gif

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
IMO the lack of a consistent direction will be his undoing, but is also his salvation if corrected.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
He’ll pull a Ryan Pace like Chicago did at the draft and save himself. But the bears did do good at the draft so maybe that’s a good thing

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
i'm guessing he gets promoted to pres of hockey ops or something like that and remove him from actual GMing duties

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
The only one that can save Doug is Doug. He needs to fix the mess that he’s made. That includes having the courage to have big boy conversations with certain players that have NMCs and NTCs to ask them to waive them so he can look into trade options. Any GM coming in will have to do the same thing. Wilson, unfortunately, doesn’t like to go back on his promises or commitments. While that’s usually commendable, in this particular case it has tied his hands. The situation is solvable. I also think he is making a slow play because of the pandemic, the expansion draft, and also because the upcoming draft class in 2022 is supposed to be great. He knows what he has to do and I think he will.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
He's done an excellent job putting this franchise in position to be a perennial playoff team. I appreciate all the work he's done but I think its time to hand the keys over to someone with a fresh vision.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
i'm guessing he gets promoted to pres of hockey ops or something like that and remove him from actual GMing duties

Replaced by who? Jr? Someone outside the organization?

He did not foresee the pandemic causing a flat cap. He gave out too many long term contracts over the last five years or so and now has issues with fitting folks in under cap. (Put all his eggs in EK baskets.)

Jones either needs to be picked up in expansion draft or bought out. Fans and pundits do not support him. Korenar seems to get more support.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m not nearly as down on DW as y’all are. If Doug were willing to admit what needs to be done (tank, trade off big names), then I would trust him to do it. I do genuinely think he’s a good GM. I’m just not sure I trust him to be willing to admit what needs to be done.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I’m not nearly as down on DW as y’all are. If Doug were willing to admit what needs to be done (tank, trade off big names), then I would trust him to do it. I do genuinely think he’s a good GM. I’m just not sure I trust him to be willing to admit what needs to be done.
Exactly. He’s very quiet publicly about his plans. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a plan and is working to make it come to fruition. To be clear, I’m not down on DW. I do think he needs to have the tough discussions to be able to trade some players he has made commitments to. I truly would like to see the team win a cup under his leadership.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have a real weird feeling that Wilson hired Boughner for this year to buy time for the coach he wants next season. I'm always wrong, though :laugh:
I hope he has the balls to fire Boughner and hire someone unconventional like Rikard Gronborg or Jukka Jalonen

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t think Doug’s going to get fired or promoted/reassigned this year. I do expect this summer to be make or break for him though. I can’t imagine he’d survive another year without making the playoffs. I don’t know what he’s going to do, but I expect a very different roster next year.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I've said before that I'd like a Bowman moment from Wilson where he just admits that the team isn't going to compete in the near-future.

I hope he has the balls to fire Boughner and hire someone unconventional like Rikard Gronborg or Jukka Jalonen

DW generally gives his coaches a bunch of rope. Even Ron Wilson got four years, and Wilson didn't even hire him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've said before that I'd like a Bowman moment from Wilson where he just admits that the team isn't going to compete in the near-future.

While I’d definitely feel reassured if he did do that, I could understand the DougSpeak (the “just a reload, we’ll be better next year I swear!!”) to a degree since it doesn’t do much for your ticket sales to admit that you’re going to be bad for multiple years. So all we can really do is judge DW on his actions.

If he manages to off-load a big contract this summer (Vlasic, Burns, Couture, Jones, Karlsson) without giving up a 1st round pick/Bordeleau, then that would speak to me.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I agree. I think his track record has proven itself.

But what he admits in public and behind closed doors may be different. It's a disadvantage for others to know your business strategy

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Replaced by who? Jr? Someone outside the organization?

He did not foresee the pandemic causing a flat cap. He gave out too many long term contracts over the last five years or so and now has issues with fitting folks in under cap. (Put all his eggs in EK baskets.)

Jones either needs to be picked up in expansion draft or bought out. Fans and pundits do not support him. Korenar seems to get more support.
Caligula's horse is a better candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad