News Article: The future of Doug Wilson in San Jose

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I’m sure Calgary thought bringing Sutter back would fix their problems. It’s not a silver bullet.

Boughner very likely would have had different results if he was coaching the Sharks team that Deboer did. That team was stacked in comparison to what we have now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Boughner might be a terrible hockey coach but there is not enough focus on his dumb mask and how he takes it off to talk. It looks like a yarmulke with strings.

IIRC Berube has the same action going on. I think their heads are just big.
And Tocchet has a ninja thing going on with how he ties his mask strings.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Specifically, the core guys. Many here were convinced that DeBoer was the problem. Now, many have shifted the blame to Boughner. If we get a new coach next year, I suspect we will still see similar results.
There's definitely truth to this. We saw what things could look like if every single one of those core guys was on but they were only ever on for like 5-10 games at a time. Kane was the only consistently good top 6 guy all season. Hertl(to an extent), Meier, Couture, and Labanc basically had wet fart seasons

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Specifically, the core guys. Many here were convinced that DeBoer was the problem. Now, many have shifted the blame to Boughner. If we get a new coach next year, I suspect we will still see similar results.

Plenty knew that talent was a problem. Coaching under DeBoer was a problem but it was never meant to be a cure-all. Boughner has probably done better for the talent that is here than DeBoer. This team is a lot more consistent in giving itself a chance to win games than DeBoer did after the wcf appearance and didn't seem to want to move to a system more suitable for the talent they had. Boughner has coaching issues too but it's not the same issues. Their five on five system is a lot more tailored to what they have and not super aggressive giving up odd man rushes all the time. Boughner's biggest problem is that they've yet to make it work on the power play.

To some degree, the goaltending and defense is what it is as long as the talent is what it is. I think coaching did some help to mask some of these issues but you can't cover it all up. Yeah you blame the players but you also blame the GM for bringing all these guys in.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There's definitely truth to this. We saw what things could look like if every single one of those core guys was on but they were only ever on for like 5-10 games at a time. Kane was the only consistently good top 6 guy all season. Hertl(to an extent), Meier, Couture, and Labanc basically had wet fart seasons

I disagree. Hertl is scoring at a 72 (!!) point pace this season, and that’s despite cold streaks, injuries, and somehow being the only Shark to contract Covid. He’s always been a streaky guy, that’s nothing new. And Couture and Labanc were very good the first half of the season (basically until Couture got injured).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I disagree. Hertl is scoring at a 72 (!!) point pace this season, and that’s despite cold streaks, injuries, and somehow being the only Shark to contract Covid. He’s always been a streaky guy, that’s nothing new. And Couture and Labanc were very good the first half of the season (basically until Couture got injured).
I don't disagree with you that much tbh. Even with the 70 point pace, I expected more from Hertl which kind of sounds insane. I just felt he slumped more than he boomed, especially in the first half of the season.

Couture and Labanc were great for the first half of the season like you said but they've been nonfactors for the last 20 or so games. It was particularly bad timing too since they basically got us in striking distance of the playoffs then followed it up with nothing useful after that.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The Sharks only having Hertl (and Sorenson?) get placed on the COVID list this season and the team performing this poorly is pretty telling. They were lucky and still bad.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks only having Hertl (and Sorenson?) get placed on the COVID list this season and the team performing this poorly is pretty telling. They were lucky and still bad.

Karlsson flat out hasn't produced enough but I at least see some good in the year he's had. He was healthy and hasn't looked like he's been playing hurt. Between him and the goaltending, that's why they were as bad as they are. This team hasn't done a good job transitioning from Thornton's team to Karlsson's at any level and he hasn't done well at all taking ownership of it. But considering the options and the circumstances of this season, they don't have much of a choice but to find better pieces to play with Karlsson. I think Balcers and Barabanov have shown flashes of playing with him. They need to move out guys that aren't fitting there and bring in more players that do well with who is supposed to be your best player. Karlsson though needs to be a lot better but a more normal paced season after being healthy through this compressed season gives me some hope on that front.

The goaltending pretty much comes down to either Melnichuk being what they hope he can or lucking out on an acquisition. They should bury Jones if they can't find a trade where it's dump for dump.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Most players are a little streaky. Fans got too used to Thornton and Pavelski being productive almost every night.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Gorton did a good job with the Rangers. I'd be pretty stoked if they cut DW loose and brought him in.

What did the Rangers really achieve during his time there? Granted, they have some impressive prospects, but those were all obvious picks. Aside from that, his major accomplishment was signing Panarin, who really wanted to be there. He's had his fair share of bad contracts as well.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think we need some patience. We are used to being in playoffs and now it hit us that our core isn't quite good enough. Tank on prospects, we know DW is good at getting more picks and I trust DW Jr vision. I know some people want DW fired, but I don't think thats best solution since the guys that are anchors for this team are going to be anchors even if DW is fired. DW has done a lot of under the radar good moves (Balcers, Barabanov and Donato) so lets just see what happens this offseason. Under DW we have been competitive a lot more than not, so I kind of want to see what he has in his sleeve next.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I think we need some patience. We are used to being in playoffs and now it hit us that our core isn't quite good enough. Tank on prospects, we know DW is good at getting more picks and I trust DW Jr vision. I know some people want DW fired, but I don't think thats best solution since the guys that are anchors for this team are going to be anchors even if DW is fired. DW has done a lot of under the radar good moves (Balcers, Barabanov and Donato) so lets just see what happens this offseason. Under DW we have been competitive a lot more than not, so I kind of want to see what he has in his sleeve next.
The counterargument to that, though is that those "under-the-radar moves" have been OK more than good, and the only potential top-line talent that we've gotten out of them is Barabanov, who isn't signed for next year yet. Meier and Labanc were supposed to take a step forward and play like top-6 forwards, and they've both disappointed. For me at least, "patience" doesn't extend much farther than the entry draft, and if there aren't any statement moves by then, next season looks like another write-off.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
The counterargument to that, though is that those "under-the-radar moves" have been OK more than good, and the only potential top-line talent that we've gotten out of them is Barabanov, who isn't signed for next year yet. Meier and Labanc were supposed to take a step forward and play like top-6 forwards, and they've both disappointed. For me at least, "patience" doesn't extend much farther than the entry draft, and if there aren't any statement moves by then, next season looks like another write-off.

But that’s what we’re all hoping for Wright?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Hertl

wet fart

821164fd-c364-411c-af0e-7e4960778ab7_text.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad