OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Do not, I repeat, do not, try to floss your teeth after cutting Scotch Bonnets without thoroughly washing your hands first. Even if you wore gloves.

Reactions: angusyoung

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Dilallo is still my favorite fast food burger. My first Buck burger actually cost 1$. I wonder what it is today.

Dilallo-Cheeseburger-uai-258x192.jpg

Reactions: overlords

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Well my point wasn't to argue that Montreal/quebec resto prices haven't got ridiculous, just a burger recommendation. :laugh:

Beef prices are going to continue getting crazier, especially here in canada where the industry has a giant target on their backs. I just got myself a freezer so I could do a whole/half cow buy with friends. Considering the quality difference between what you can get directly from the farm and the grocery, it's a no brainer if you can get a few people to chip in.

I finally did this too, solo though, 1/8 though about 65lbs worth for starters, I'm open to other sources if they could decrease the amount of ground beef though as 40% of it was just that (that seems to be the standard though shopping around). But the taste is phenomenal. A whole cow is A LOT.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I discovered Uniburger when they first opened (near Ontario), love it. BUT....the last time I had one at CDN location they didn't have Martin's buns, the fries were not good, that location is dirty AF (something that I try to ignore unless it is really nasty and if the food is REALLY good). I was told online by their official account that no more Martin's buns, is this true or was it temporary?

I don't even know how that location is still opened, there's never anyone there.

Another decent burger is NBG, plain for I think it's $9 (+$2 for cheese), it's a real good burger for the price but they need to cook it pink. I have yet to try Burger Royal which I keep hearing good things about.

I always had trouble understanding how they were so often empty despite the cegep du vieux across the street. I used to walk much farther for decarie hot dog when I was at vanier :laugh: . I used to live nearby to that location but since moving I haven't had any from any of their locations, so I can't confirm/deny the bun thing. Their fries while usually pretty good are way too expensive for what they are, and their employees have always exhibited no f***s given attitude and room temperature IQ, in my experience, which likely factors into the cleanliness aspect. My biggest issue with that place was that it's a furnace to sit at and eat in the summer since they don't have AC.

Haven't tried NBG but I'll keep an eye out. I tried Burger Royale when it opened and never went back, struck me as a gimmick spot that cares more about having wacky menu options than delivering a consistent product, like la banquise. M:BRGR was another disappointment to me and I wasn't sad to see them get closed down years ago.

Reactions: groovejuice

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I finally did this too, solo though, 1/8 though about 65lbs worth for starters, I'm open to other sources if they could decrease the amount of ground beef though as 40% of it was just that (that seems to be the standard though shopping around). But the taste is phenomenal. A whole cow is A LOT.

Yeah 40% seems to be standard from what I've seen. It's possible you can cut down on that by specifically asking for them to keep the throwaway cuts and suet apart for you rather than grinding, but then you'd have a bunch of gnarly cuts of beef and a bucket of suet, which I'm not sure is any better.

I'm looking at splitting a half cow order between 3-4 people and if I get any more interested than that I'll go with a whole. The main issue really is properly storing it all. A half cow needs something like 18 cubic feet of freezer space :laugh:

Mind sharing which farm you've purchased from? I'm looking at Rheintal and d'Oree.

Reactions: groovejuice

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Yeah 40% seems to be standard from what I've seen. It's possible you can cut down on that by specifically asking for them to keep the throwaway cuts and suet apart for you rather than grinding, but then you'd have a bunch of gnarly cuts of beef and a bucket of suet, which I'm not sure is any better.

I'm looking at splitting a half cow order between 3-4 people and if I get any more interested than that I'll go with a whole. The main issue really is properly storing it all. A half cow needs something like 18 cubic feet of freezer space :laugh:

Mind sharing which farm you've purchased from? I'm looking at Rheintal and d'Oree.

Bingo, d'Oree. Might be 40% but that's some of the tastiest burgers I've had with that meat.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I'm so tempted to call them to ask about their Mangalitsa pricing but I'm also scared ****less. :laugh:

Haaa...I had never heard of this pork until I saw it on their site. Call and let me know. Maybe double the price of his whole Berskshire ($4/lb) . I found a farm in the US that sells it at $6/lb, call it $8 CDN. Double would make sense.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Love Uniburger on rue Ontario, but I only go for the burger and nothing else. Another place I'm game for is the back window of QDC, their flavor combinations are killer so long as you're fine with paying a little extra dough.

Also thinking of doing a general run on croissants in the city. I love butter croissants (and Kouign-Amanns as well, but that shit is lethal), and I had two today that were great and I want to discover all the good ones in town. Anyone got some recommendations?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm so tempted to call them to ask about their Mangalitsa pricing but I'm also scared ****less. :laugh:

Just checked their site. I see that Mangalitsa is one of the items you need to call to get a price but several others are listed on their website: Ferme d'ORée Farm - pricelist

Now I get why Mangalitsa is pricier: Mangalitsa meat is very expensive because Mangalitsas are so rare and because they grow much slower.

As far as we know, we are the only breeders in Quebec and far beyond.

manga2.jpg

Serbian and Romanian breeders abandoned the Mangalitsa in favor of faster growing pigs in the 19th century. Mangalitsas were popular amongst Hungerian breeders for a while after, but they almost went extinct in the twentieth century. We are proud to contribute to the preservation of this unique and exclusive breed.

Ferme d'ORée Farm -

Is there anything particular about the taste of this type of meat? Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Love Uniburger on rue Ontario, but I only go for the burger and nothing else. Another place I'm game for is the back window of QDC, their flavor combinations are killer so long as you're fine with paying a little extra dough.

Also thinking of doing a general run on croissants in the city. I love butter croissants (and Kouign-Amanns as well, but that **** is lethal), and I had two today that were great and I want to discover all the good ones in town. Anyone got some recommendations?

Since you have posted about how you've gone to Berchicci, next time you're on your way there, I would suggest trying a burger at Ciocaro Restaurant on Langelier. It's about 2 minutes away from Berchicci.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Since you have posted about how you've gone to Berchicci, next time you're on you're way there, I would suggest trying a burger at Ciocaro Restaurant on Langelier. It's about 2 minutes away from Berchicci.

Ah yes, it's a block away from Da Marco sandwich shop if I'm not mistaken? Always see it on those Panoram lists for the best sandwiches in the city, I'll have to check it out when I venture North. Thanks!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ah yes, it's a block away from Da Marco sandwich shop if I'm not mistaken? Always see it on those Panoram lists for the best sandwiches in the city, I'll have to check it out when I venture North. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I've never checked Panoram's lists for best sandwiches in the city. Are they worthy recommendations?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I guess you could also probably stay in St-Janvier or a similar place 20 minutes from Tremblant and visit Tremblant on the cheap.

For sure,staying right in the village they spike up the rates. Such is the case in many tourist areas no matter where you are.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
You're welcome.

I've never checked Panoram's lists for best sandwiches in the city. Are they worthy recommendations?

Speaking purely in terms of panini sandwiches......

Cafe Milano always wins the top prize, they need no introduction, and I can't blame them. They make good stuff.

Cafe Italia and Porchetta are both fine choices.

Another one I've heard great things for is Cafe Gentile out in Westmount. I rarely venture that area, but I have friends who do and they say the food there is excellent across the board. Family owned joint that uses the Nonna's recipes.

For what it's worth, I also quite like Sexy Sausage in Old Montreal, BUT I think it's overpriced. The quality is definitely there, but at $13 for just a regular sized sandwich and nothing else you're probably going to be a tad disappointed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking purely in terms of panini sandwiches......

Cafe Milano always wins the top prize, they need no introduction, and I can't blame them. They make good stuff.

Cafe Italia and Porchetta are both fine choices.

Another one I've heard great things for is Cafe Gentile out in Westmount. I rarely venture that area, but I have friends who do and they say the food there is excellent across the board. Family owned joint that uses the Nonna's recipes.

For what it's worth, I also quite like Sexy Sausage in Old Montreal, BUT I think it's overpriced. The quality is definitely there, but at $13 for just a regular sized sandwich and nothing else you're probably going to be a tad disappointed.

Porchetta, is that the one in Little Italy? I've seen the place but never tried.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hmm tourist prices do drive it up but even in Montreal, its been a good while I havent seen a burger worthy of anything under 15. Maybe Dillalo?

You're also paying for the establishment you're in. A renowned place has a huge mark up and they are all getting the grade A for the same price.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Also thinking of doing a general run on croissants in the city. I love butter croissants (and Kouign-Amanns as well, but that **** is lethal), and I had two today that were great and I want to discover all the good ones in town. Anyone got some recommendations?

Kouign Amann are my favourite, so buttery to go along with their namesake treat.

Other good ones I've tried; Joe La Croûte, Pains Dans Les Voiles, Meunerie Urbaine to name a few off the top of my head.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Kouign Amann are my favourite, so buttery to go along with their namesake treat.

Other good ones I've tried; Joe La Croûte, Pains Dans Les Voiles, Meunerie Urbaine to name a few off the top of my head.

Kouign-Amann makes some great stuff. I recall trying their namesake treat for the first time in May, reminded me that the greatest flavor will always be the combination of salt, sugar and butter.

Reactions: FlatIron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad