OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I haven't been in Old Montreal in quite some time. The places you're referring to sound like tourist traps.

So much affordable food in Montreal, if you know where to find it. Maybe when you're a tourist, you settle for what is readily at hand.

Old Montreal is pretty much a tourist trap,as is Tremblant,gouge the tourists!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What a prick,why? I have to deal with asps on occasion,but at least they don't ruin the crop.

The in laws Korean correct? so let them dole out the punishment. lol.
It wasn’t a “crop”. Just a roma tomato.
Asps? Seriously. lMAO?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Old Montreal is pretty much a tourist trap,as is Tremblant,gouge the tourists!

Agreed about Tremblant. I was there several years ago and you couldn't find a hamburger under $15, plus tax, plus tip. No thanks.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It wasn’t a “crop”. Just a roma tomato.
Asps? Seriously. lMAO?

Still though,to lose some yield, a little heartbreaking.

Yup! Asps! A friend got bit when he was 12 ish ? and 50 years later his finger is still swollen and the fang marks are still visible. He was climbing a fig tree at the time.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Agreed about Tremblant. I was there several years ago and you couldn't find a hamburger under $15, plus tax, plus tip. No thanks.

Tremblant is such a rip off! so manufactured,but great for the tourists. Much better going to St. Janvier,20 minute ride away with superior choice of menu.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With the price of beef these days, finding a burger under 15 probably means its the ****tiest meat youve had.

Who knows what the Tremblant price for a burger is now, haven't gone in quite some time. Won't be $15 anymore, that's for sure.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tremblant is such a rip off! so manufactured,but great for the tourists. Much better going to St. Janvier,20 minute ride away with superior choice of menu.

I guess you could also probably stay in St-Janvier or a similar place 20 minutes from Tremblant and visit Tremblant on the cheap.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Who knows what the Tremblant price for a burger is now, haven't gone in quite some time. Won't be $15 anymore, that's for sure.
Cheapest of cheap i can find brings the patty to just under 2 dollars and thats only on a 6 oz one... and thats just short of frozen. For a good patty youre looking at 4 to 5 and 6 for a great one.

A lot of people dont realize that its not 1992 anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cheapest of cheap i can find brings the patty to just under 2 dollars and thats only on a 6 oz one... and thats just short of frozen. For a good patty youre looking at 4 to 5 and 6 for a great one.

A lot of people dont realize that its not 1992 anymore.

I don't think it's that. It's more about a Montrealer used to certain prices and then adjusting his reality to tourist prices. Par for the course.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think it's that. It's more about a Montrealer used to certain prices and then adjusting his reality to tourist prices. Par for the course.
Hmm tourist prices do drive it up but even in Montreal, its been a good while I havent seen a burger worthy of anything under 15. Maybe Dillalo?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hmm tourist prices do drive it up but even in Montreal, its been a good while I havent seen a burger worthy of anything under 15. Maybe Dillalo?

A little off the beaten path but I can get a great burger at this spot for just under $10: Ciociarosportsbar.ca

I'm sure there are more but not necessarily centrally-located.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Have you tried Uniburger? I'd recommend it, probably the best fast food style burger on the island, although they're usually slow as f*** to get orders out. I generally avoid the 'gourmet' burger places. Picks near concordia used to be pretty good and fairly cheap as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Have you tried Uniburger? I'd recommend it, probably the best fast food style burger on the island, although they're usually slow as **** to get orders out. I generally avoid the 'gourmet' burger places. Picks near concordia used to be pretty good and fairly cheap as well.
Obviously I did. As a fast food setting, without fries and with a sub 6 OZ pattie theyre still 10 bucks for a naked one. I guess they fit the bill, like Dillalo and a few other fast food joints, not exactly the point I was trying to make though.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hmm. Asian flavors. Are those baby backs? Because if so, youre into sacrilegious territory for me.

I prefer side ribs, and I'm an intemperate gristle eater. I honestly don't make a lot of tomato based glazes for the bbq.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How'd you come up with it? Also, isn't it a balancing act in terms of quantities?

Just for practicality, I'd prefer putting together a dry rub since you can produce a ton of it in advance and store it.

I use a dry rub as well. North African flavours....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I get a lot of heat from the thai chiles, but sure, dried flakes or powder would be fine as well.
I disagree about that part. If by fine you mean enough to get by, sure, but theres nothing like true fresh chiles for taste.

On the topic of fresh, my GFs blueberry farm has yielded one hell of a harvest this year.

This is honestly my favorite time of the year. So many fresh i ingredients.

Reactions: groovejuice

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Obviously I did. As a fast food setting, without fries and with a sub 6 OZ pattie theyre still 10 bucks for a naked one. I guess they fit the bill, like Dillalo and a few other fast food joints, not exactly the point I was trying to make though.

Well my point wasn't to argue that Montreal/quebec resto prices haven't got ridiculous, just a burger recommendation. :laugh:

Beef prices are going to continue getting crazier, especially here in canada where the industry has a giant target on their backs. I just got myself a freezer so I could do a whole/half cow buy with friends. Considering the quality difference between what you can get directly from the farm and the grocery, it's a no brainer if you can get a few people to chip in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well my point wasn't to argue that Montreal/quebec resto prices haven't got ridiculous, just a burger recommendation. :laugh:

Beef prices are going to continue getting crazier, especially here in canada where the industry has a giant target on their backs. I just got myself a freezer so I could do a whole/half cow buy with friends. Considering the quality difference between what you can get directly from the farm and the grocery, it's a no brainer if you can get a few people to chip in.
Yeah I did that a few times. Its hard though with the amount of protein I eat, I always messed up my quantities.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Have you tried Uniburger? I'd recommend it, probably the best fast food style burger on the island, although they're usually slow as **** to get orders out. I generally avoid the 'gourmet' burger places. Picks near concordia used to be pretty good and fairly cheap as well.

I discovered Uniburger when they first opened (near Ontario), love it. BUT....the last time I had one at CDN location they didn't have Martin's buns, the fries were not good, that location is dirty AF (something that I try to ignore unless it is really nasty and if the food is REALLY good). I was told online by their official account that no more Martin's buns, is this true or was it temporary?

I don't even know how that location is still opened, there's never anyone there.

Another decent burger is NBG, plain for I think it's $9 (+$2 for cheese), it's a real good burger for the price but they need to cook it pink. I have yet to try Burger Royal which I keep hearing good things about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad