OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kouign Amann are my favourite, so buttery to go along with their namesake treat.

Other good ones I've tried; Joe La Croûte, Pains Dans Les Voiles, Meunerie Urbaine to name a few off the top of my head.

I've been to Joe La Croûte a few times. My favorite is their dark bread, pictured here:

JLEQgpa.jpg

It's fantastic. Only issue is that it doesn't last very long. You have to be disciplined and buy less as it tends to spoil quickly.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Just checked their site. I see that Mangalitsa is one of the items you need to call to get a price but several others are listed on their website: Ferme d'ORée Farm - pricelist

Now I get why Mangalitsa is pricier: Mangalitsa meat is very expensive because Mangalitsas are so rare and because they grow much slower.

As far as we know, we are the only breeders in Quebec and far beyond.

manga2.jpg

Serbian and Romanian breeders abandoned the Mangalitsa in favor of faster growing pigs in the 19th century. Mangalitsas were popular amongst Hungerian breeders for a while after, but they almost went extinct in the twentieth century. We are proud to contribute to the preservation of this unique and exclusive breed.

Ferme d'ORée Farm -

Is there anything particular about the taste of this type of meat? Has anyone tried it?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I've been to Joe La Croûte a few times. My favorite is their dark bread, pictured here:

JLEQgpa.jpg

It's fantastic. Only issue is that it doesn't last very long. You have to be disciplined and buy less as it tends to spoil quickly.

I've heard Joe la Croute has the best baguette in the city, never been though and I'm currently avoiding bread as much as I can.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've heard Joe la Croute has the best baguette in the city, never been though and I'm currently avoiding bread as much as I can.

If you're going to cheat, go there. You don't need to buy a whole lot. Definitely suggest the dark one. It's even darker when you see it in person, it looks burned.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If I read the Forbes piece correctly, the Andersen guy in the clip above is selling out of New Jersey:

At the Mosefund Farm booth at the Sussex County Fair, Andersen insists on treating me to a Mangalitsa burger. It is like no hamburger I have tasted, overflowing with juices, with a delicate pork flavor that is both sweet and salty, and a scrumptious crust that comes from the bacon Andersen grinds into the patty. It is fatty but, as he promised, not heavy, and the half-pound, usually more than I can handle, leaves me feeling satisfied but not at all sluggish.

Man, that sounds scrumptous.

Wouldn't you know it, there appears to be a connection with the Habsburg (aka Hapsburg) dynasty:

For the last eight years he has been consumed by a passion for the Mangalitsa, an exotic variety of pig first bred in Hungary in the 1830s for a Hapsburg archduke. The meat from the Mangalitsa is much fattier, darker and richer than factory-farmed pork.

Of course, the Habs have their own connection to the Habsburgs (or is that The Laval Rocket):

tumblr_ndic8tNpcm1tctm09o1_1280.jpg

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've been making a bbq sauce for ribs that is great. Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, palm sugar, oyster sauce, fresh orange juice and zest, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil and thai chile to taste.

Sounds similar to an orange beef recipe used on occasion, minus the cornstarch. Will definitely work well for sure.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal

You know, I like their breads but I'm not super wowed the way Meunerie Urbaine, Pain/Voiles And Automne wows me, especially MU in NDG, who has a connection to Voiles. Not actually crazy about baguette at Joe, I like some other breads there though and it's next to MJT.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I find the Thai chilies are hotter than flakes or powder and add a bit more to the recipe.

So dry rub before the tantalizing sauce?

I do both. I'll post the rub recipe I use in a few minutes. I'll use the rub on proteins with stronger flavours like beef, pork and lamb. With poultry and fish, I omit it if using a glaze/bbq sauce.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You know, I like their breads but I'm not super wowed the way Meunerie Urbaine, Pain/Voiles And Automne wows me, especially MU in NDG, who has a connection to Voiles. Not actually crazy about baguette at Joe, I like some other breads there though and it's next to MJT.

So you like the bolded over Joe. What types of breads do you typically go for at those places?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sounds similar to an orange beef recipe used on occasion, minus the cornstarch. Will definitely work well for sure.

I don't bother with cornstarch. If it needs to be thicker, I'd add some hoisin (with additional acid) or a bit more oyster sauce. By the way, when buying oyster sauce, always check the label. Oysters or oyster extract should be the first on the list. Some have no oyster at all.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

JLEQgpa.jpg

If that crust is a thick as it looks, just slice from one end and store it on your counter on a plate with the cut side down. Should even need a paper bag.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I disagree about that part. If by fine you mean enough to get by, sure, but theres nothing like true fresh chiles for taste.

On the topic of fresh, my GFs blueberry farm has yielded one hell of a harvest this year.

This is honestly my favorite time of the year. So many fresh i ingredients.

I always use fresh chiles for heat when it's appropriate. Especially habaneros/scotch bonnets, which have incredible heat but also a beautiful floral component.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is that better than storing it in the fridge?

Never store bread in the fridge. Between the moisture and molds from vegetables and fruit, it's an awful idea.

I buy a rustic loaf which looks like the one in your pic. I store it as I described, and it's good for several days. If the bottom is a bit dry, just slice off a thin piece and toast that. The rest will be fresh and moist while retaining the crusty texture.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never store bread in the fridge. Between the moisture and molds from vegetables and fruit, it's an awful idea.

I buy a rustic loaf which looks like the one in your pic. I store it as I described, and it's good for several days. If the bottom is a bit dry, just slice off a thin piece and toast that. The rest will be fresh and moist while retaining the crusty texture.

The only issue with that particular bread is that it's too costly to buy a loaf. I'm going to use that approach with cheaper bread. Thanks for the tip.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Here's the North African rub recipe I've been using for everything from steak to shrimp. I double up on the cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne and coriander.

• 2 tbsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
  • 2 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. cayenne

Reactions: overlords

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The only issue with that particular bread is that it's too costly to buy a loaf. I'm going to use that approach with cheaper bread. Thanks for the tip.

How much is it? The loaf I get is about the same size, or possibly larger, and is under $5.

2019-08-12 16.21.22.jpg

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How much is it? The loaf I get is about the same size, or possibly larger, and is under $5.

View attachment 249345

From the pic, it's $1.50 per 100 grams but don't know when that pic was taken. Probably more now.

Better to buy smaller quantities and buy fresh. Plus, it's located adjacent to a public market which makes going there easier.

Reactions: groovejuice

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Is that better than storing it in the fridge?

I actually buy the biggest loaf at Meunier Urbaine for best deal, I have them slice it pretty thick then at home slice it down the middle then freeze it 5 pieces together. When I take a batch out for the week I toast it well and it tastes super fresh. If you don't have it toasted it obviously doesn't have the same texture but toasted it's so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad