OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
If that crust is a thick as it looks, just slice from one end and store it on your counter on a plate with the cut side down. Should even need a paper bag.
Watch out for mould though after a few days, these bakeries don't put junk in their breads so especially in the summer they'll get mouldy quickly.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I know but in the case of that Joe bread, it barely lasts one-two days before it loses its soft texture.
Yah, these breads are only bakery fresh for a day, a little toasting action brings them back to life.

Brown paper bag and in a bread box or a pot covered will help a bit.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If you put flank steak in a meat grinder to make patties for burgers, can you give 'em a medium/medium-rare cooking?
(I don't eat medium-cooked flank steak of course)

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Artisanal bread makes me sad: so delicious and high quality........yet you pretty much need to gulp it down before it goes bad. :(

I myself can vouch for Arhoma if anyone loves some sourdough bread. Their Belgian Loaf with sesame seeds is crack.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Watch out for mould though after a few days, these bakeries don't put junk in their breads so especially in the summer they'll get mouldy quickly.

Good bread doesn't last more than 3 days around here. I've never had a speck of mould. The fridge is another story.

I occasionally buy sliced Winnipeg rye. I take about 1/4 out, put it in a ziploc in the fridge. The rest I triple bag and freeze.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If you put flank steak in a meat grinder to make patties for burgers, can you give 'em a medium/medium-rare cooking?

It's great in burgers. Just cut it against the grain before grinding. Probably cheaper to buy sirloin and add chuck to it for added fat.

Not sure why you don't eat flank steak medium rare. It's perfectly wonderful marinated and bbqed. Just slice it on the bias against the grain after it rests.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
From the pic, it's $1.50 per 100 grams but don't know when that pic was taken. Probably more now.

Better to buy smaller quantities and buy fresh. Plus, it's located adjacent to a public market which makes going there easier.

I missed the price tag. That's extraordinary for bread. But if you like it, then it's all good.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Good bread doesn't last more than 3 days around here. I've never had a speck of mould. The fridge is another story.

I occasionally buy sliced Winnipeg rye. I take about 1/4 out, put it in a ziploc in the fridge. The rest I triple bag and freeze.

Yup, what I mentioned above. Freeze that good bread, I learned my lesson awhile ago when I kept throwing out moldy bread (kept in a paper bag in a bread box), sometimes even just after 3 days but usually 4-5 the mold would start. Especially in the summer with the humidity. Freeze well and toast as needed, tastes like fresh, nice and soft in the inside especially when sliced thick.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
From the pic, it's $1.50 per 100 grams but don't know when that pic was taken. Probably more now.

Better to buy smaller quantities and buy fresh. Plus, it's located adjacent to a public market which makes going there easier.

Meunerie Urbaine has the massive loaves for $10, they are typically just under 1kg, so $10/kg isn't bad.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's great in burgers. Just cut it against the grain before grinding. Probably cheaper to buy sirloin and add chuck to it for added fat.

Not sure why you don't eat flank steak medium rare. It's perfectly wonderful marinated and bbqed. Just slice it on the bias against the grain after it rests.

I always eat flank steak medium rare (or rare). It's in ground form (in a burger) I'm not sure it would work.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I always eat flank steak medium rare (or rare). It's in ground form (in a burger) I'm not sure it would work.

Ahh. I misunderstood. It works well when ground. Just remember to cut the steak against the grain beforebefore you grind.

Brisket also works well in burgers. Like the flank, I'd mix it with chuck (blade) or another cut with some fat content.

When you grind your own meat and make sure everything is sterile before, then refrigerate the meat right after, you can cook it to any temperature you like.

The reason I like to grind my own is so I can safely eat medium rare burgers.

Reactions: MXD

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Theres no sanitary reasons you shouldnt, if the meat is good quality and the grinder is cold its fine. Taste and texture may vary. Youll need some fat, though.

I never tested with Flank, but bacon is such a great addition to a grind most of the time

Reactions: MXD and groovejuice

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm somewhat interested in getting a meat grinder. I know there are standalone ones, and I also know that there are ones that could be hooked up to my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Any suggestions for either type?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm somewhat interested in getting a meat grinder. I know there are standalone ones, and I also know that there are ones that could be hooked up to my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Any suggestions for either type?
Invest in a good butcher instead. Everybody benefits and youll get better quality meats. You can always ask your butcher for what ever thing you want.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Very good point.

Boucherie Lawrence is one of the best IMO and fair prices for what they offer (even since they increased their prices a couple of years ago), they buy directly from the farm (locally) and cut out the middle men garbage suppliers who carry untraced beef.

What I love about them is that yes they have some pre-cut pieces on display but usually when I go there and ask for any cut of beef whether it's tenderloin or chuck for stew cubes, they'll walk into the fridge pull out a side of beef and remove it on the spot. None of this stuff sitting in it's own blood for who knows how many days. You want chicken breasts, out comes the bird and they'll cut it up for you.

Other places like Ferme St Vincent Boucherie have just got mental with their pricing, a rib steak is up to $70/kg, insane.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boucherie Lawrence is one of the best IMO and fair prices for what they offer (even since they increased their prices a couple of years ago), they buy directly from the farm (locally) and cut out the middle men garbage suppliers who carry untraced beef.

What I love about them is that yes they have some pre-cut pieces on display but usually when I go there and ask for any cut of beef whether it's tenderloin or chuck for stew cubes, they'll walk into the fridge pull out a side of beef and remove it on the spot. None of this stuff sitting in it's own blood for who knows how many days. You want chicken breasts, out comes the bird and they'll cut it up for you.

Other places like Ferme St Vincent Boucherie have just got mental with their pricing, a rib steak is up to $70/kg, insane.

Am not aware of the above two places but will keep them in mind.

I'll usually go to one of two spots for meat and both are close to each other.

Entrepôt de viandes: Entrepôt de Viandes

UNITED Seafood: United seafood|United Marketplace

The latter is much more than just seafood. It features Black Angus steaks that the butcher can help select and cut as you wish. I've had good advice there over the years. You have to know your prices as the place can be boutiquish on some items.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I spent quite a bit of cash on a stand alone grinder. There's an issue with the heat generated which softens and sometimes melts the fat. It also needs to be frequently cleaned mid-grind.

I've gone back to a really nice old fashioned manual grinder with multiple plates. I'm sticking with this.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't bother with cornstarch. If it needs to be thicker, I'd add some hoisin (with additional acid) or a bit more oyster sauce. By the way, when buying oyster sauce, always check the label. Oysters or oyster extract should be the first on the list. Some have no oyster at all.

In regards to the aforementioned recipe the application is for marinade /mop,correct? I use CS to thicken when doing a stir fry for coating purposes.

Reading the label is terrifying at times with all that crap is put into food.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
In regards to the aforementioned recipe the application is for marinade /mop,correct? I use CS to thicken when doing a stir fry for coating purposes.

Reading the label is terrifying at times with all that crap is put into food.

It's a glaze. I wouldn't marinate in citrus because after a rather short time it "cooks" the meat - think of ceviche. I slow grill the ribs until they're mostly done, then crank up the heat and apply the orange glaze every time I flip the ribs.

You're right about the labels. It is terrifying sometimes.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's a glaze. I wouldn't marinate in citrus because after a rather short time it "cooks" the meat - think of ceviche. I slow grill the ribs until they're mostly done, then crank up the heat and apply the orange glaze every time I flip the ribs.

You're right about the labels. It is terrifying sometimes.

Good point, guess I wasn't thinking clearly,happens more and more. Was recalling the debacle with some other poster with pineapple? not sure. Racking my brain to see if I use citrus but only thing that comes to mind is souvlaki sticks.

Do yourself a favor and don't read what cheese whiz is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->