OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Art is a tricky subject because a lot of times we're told to believe the most expensive, colorful or well prepared dishes or pieces of artwork are 'true' art.

In reality, anything and everything can be art. I can find a plate of poutine art and a dish elsewhere pretentious.

What matters however is in our own realities/perspectives what do we consider more artistic?

While your point is valid in general terms there isn't one person who considers everything art. IF there was then yes, nothing would be IMO.

I'm not artistic in that way so for me it's mostly the basics of presentation. You get a carefully prepared dish(taste wise) with good presentation and I'm happy. Anything more loses appeal with me.

In a lot of walks of life people consider value added and non-value added activities. Watching someone carefully prepare a steak to the perfect doneness with a crispy char on the outside plated in a dish of various equally appealing sides is great. Watching someone drop little drops of sauce carefully around the edges of a plate to make it look fancy may be artistic to some but its completely non-value added to me.

Well I agree, I find people use art as a means to increase the value to whatever they're doing.
It's not just cooking man, it's art. It's not just a sport, it's art. It's not just music, it's art. It's not just a building, it's art..etc...
Everything can be an art form.

I'm very much a jock, I don't see art in everything. You're not an artist, you're a musician. You're not an artist, you're an athlete. You're not an artist, you're a chef.
I usually just associate art with paintings. That's about it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well I agree, I find people use art as a means to increase the value to whatever they're doing.
It's not just cooking man, it's art. It's not just a sport, it's art. It's not just music, it's art. It's not just a building, it's art..etc...

I'm very much a jock, I don't see art in everything. You're not an artist, you're a musician. You're not an artist, you're an athlete. You're not an artist, you're a chef.
Amen.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Subway’s to blame

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Looking to buy cakes for tonight. What are some good bakeries/pastries or places to buy for about 30 people? I know nothing about cakes for your information, and live in Ville-Marie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking to buy cakes for tonight. What are some good bakeries/pastries or places to buy for about 30 people? I know nothing about cakes for your information, and live in Ville-Marie.

So sorry I missed this post. Looks like I'm too late.

I had provided a detailed post that includes 3 places I favor for pastries, last year: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/129705387/

You can't go wrong with any of them.

If you don't want to get caught short next time, take a Saturday morning and go to all three -- buy samples from each bakery.

I'd start with Patisserie Wawel -- they tend to run out of ponkis early, so try and be there by 10 AM or if you need more time, reserve some over the phone.

Then, I would head north to Patisserie Bela Vista, so you can have hot natas. You may want to have them on the spot, plenty of seating and espresso coffee on tap.

Finally, I would then go to Little Italy and pick up from Alati.

You should be able to do all 3 locations within an hour. They're not that far from each other.

Hoping this helps.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Setting you up for the weekend: did you go to any of the above pastry shops I suggested?

If not, November is their anniversary month at Alati, where their canolis are 2 for 1. Here's your chance to rack up a few at a great price.

I know I will. :D

Let me know if you do.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Setting you up for the weekend: did you go to any of the above pastry shops I suggested?

If not, November is their anniversary month at Alati, where their canolis are 2 for 1. Here's your chance to rack up a few at a great price.

I know I will. :D

Let me know if you do.
I'm Polish, so I'm familiar with Patisserie Wawel. For paczki (the "a" requires a cédille to make the French "on" sound), faworki (Polish angel wings), bread and cooked meats, I drive six minutes further to Patisserie Rosemont, as their prices are cheaper for quality food. At the same time, I can't go wrong in supporting the owners, whom my parents know personally. Wawel has a great and palatable selection of desserts, which is a definite plus, plus their apple cake is to die for, but their prices are a bit high. Next time you enter a Polish Patisserie, I recommend you buy a pack (or two) of faworki. They are my cousin's and his girlfriend's favorite Polish dessert, and second for me after that Polish apple cake.

As for Italian desserts, on rare occasions I buy from Firenze Patisserie on Bélanger St. in Saint Leonard. I can't compare its quality or prices to other Italian pastries, as it's the only one I buy from, but I'm definitely tempted to stop by Alati. If my nephews visit tomorrow, I could take them to choose some desserts with me.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions @Runner77 and let me know what you think of faworki. Since the holidays are fast-approaching, I suggest you try the chocolate-covered makowiec (ma-ko-vi-e-tss), which is a sweet poppy-seed dessert. We usually eat it during the Christmas and Easter Holidays. And don't buy the one with raisins in it. Whoever thought of adding raisins to Polish treats and pastries deserves to be exiled!

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm Polish, so I'm familiar with Patisserie Wawel. For paczki (the "a" requires a cédille to make the French "on" sound), faworki (Polish angel wings), bread and cooked meats, I drive six minutes further to Patisserie Rosemont, as their prices are cheaper for quality food. At the same time, I can't go wrong in supporting the owners, whom my parents know personally. Wawel has a great and palatable selection of desserts, which is a definite plus, plus their apple cake is to die for, but their prices are a bit high. Next time you enter a Polish Patisserie, I recommend you buy a pack (or two) of faworki. They are my cousin's and his girlfriend's favorite Polish dessert, and second for me after that Polish apple cake.

As for Italian desserts, on rare occasions I buy from Firenze Patisserie on Bélanger St. in Saint Leonard. I can't compare its quality or prices to other Italian pastries, as it's the only one I buy from, but I'm definitely tempted to stop by Alati. If my nephews visit tomorrow, I could take them to choose some desserts with me.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions @Runner77 and let me know what you think of faworki. Since the holidays are fast-approaching, I suggest you try the chocolate-covered makowiec (ma-ko-vi-e-tss), which is a sweet poppy-seed dessert. We usually eat it during the Christmas and Easter Holidays. And don't buy the one with raisins in it. Whoever thought of adding raisins to Polish treats and pastries deserves to be exiled!
reminds me of that place Beaubien/10th ave. (don't know if that's the place you're talking about) I use to go when I was living in the area, not everything was polish but they had great east-european stuff.

Reactions: Runner77

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
reminds me of that place Beaubien/10th ave. (don't know if that's the place you're talking about) I use to go when I was living in the area, not everything was polish but they had great east-european stuff.
You're talking about Zytynsky's Deli. It's Ukrainian I believe and pretty darn good. It's where my dad and I usually buy horseradish roots to make our own horseradish sauces (beet & original).

Beaubien & 12th Avenue for the interested.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You're talking about Zytynsky's Deli. It's Ukrainian I believe and pretty darn good. It's where my dad and I usually buy horseradish roots to make our own horseradish sauces (beet & original).

Beaubien & 12th Avenue for the interested.
It is, looked on maps, didnt remember it being on 12th. last time I went, think I was in my late 20s. something like 25+ years

nice to see small businesses like this lasting so long.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
scSdvRB.jpg

Haven't had one of these in a while. Definitely one of my favourites.

Reactions: Mrb1p

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Don't know why I haven't tried this combination before, but I finally did today - buckwheat and beans. I love both individually, but together they transform into something amazing.

Here's a rough recipe (without exact amounts; I tend to eyeball while cooking):

Parboil buckwheat about 3/4 way (in water or low/no sodium vegetable stock). While that's working saute some onions and garlic (both finely minced) in some olive or grape seed oil. Use a large saute pan. Once the onions soften add spices (anything from chili/coriander/cumin powder - whatever floats your boat). Don't forget the salt of course. I do not think black pepper works here, but that's just me.

Add the partially cooked buckwheat to the saute pan and toast it to the point of where it's nearly done (taste as you go to get to your optimal texture and desired mouth feel). Add drained and rinsed canned beans. For me the black beans work best here because of their smaller size. Red kidney beans could also work, but they're larger. Stir everything around and let the beans come to temperature.

Garnish with parsley/coriander leaves and serve.

P.S. This recipe is vegan, but you can play on it by, say, cooking the buckwheat in chicken or beef stock if you so wanted. It makes for a great side dish with a piece of meat.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So kind of a response to my own 1st post of this thread but I've begun to dry age beef at home.

Apparently if you have a specific type of bag it makes life easy. You don't need to stress over temperature and humidity levels and all that. They're called Umai Dry Age Bags

So right now I got about 30 lbs of strip loin dry aging. Half will be for 30 days, the other half for 45-60.

Hopefully it turns out good.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So I ended up dry aging with a simple to use bag but it wasn't very simple. About 18 days in I found out my sealer sucks and there was a small air leak so to prevent any issues I cut dry aging to that long.

My knives are f***ing horrid even if i try sharpening them and the meat wasn't frozen so you can see me not cut perfectly in some cases.

I tried off the edges and I would say it works but I definitely need to upgrade my equipment.

6NA64Za.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who likes to have cereals at night?

I used to like these when they were available in Montreal eons ago:

91czSVoNLcL._SY550_.jpg

When they stopped selling them in Montreal, I could always buy them in Burlington as they kept producing them for the US market.

I've always like their taste and never quite found anything similar until I happened on these at Maxi (or Loblaws in Ontario):

3742295.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png

I have them with almond milk and they taste great. Any of you try these?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Who likes to have cereals at night?

I used to like these when they were available in Montreal eons ago:

91czSVoNLcL._SY550_.jpg

When they stopped selling them in Montreal, I could always buy them in Burlington as they kept producing them for the US market.

I've always like their taste and never quite found anything similar until I happened on these at Maxi (or Loblaws in Ontario):

3742295.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png

I have them with almond milk and they taste great. Any of you try these?

I frequently enjoy cereal at night. Usually an organic flax or corn based flake. Add candied ginger and dried fruit and top with almond/coconut milk.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Wife is making handmade stuffed shells and her red sauce. The sauce is incredible. Bolognese with pork veal and beef.
I’m nursing a strong Bloody Mary at the moment! Happy Holidays everyone!

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad