OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Wife is making handmade stuffed shells and her red sauce. The sauce is incredible. Bolognese with pork veal and beef.
I’m nursing a strong Bloody Mary at the moment! Happy Holidays everyone!

I like a holiday season that encourages the heavy use of alcohol in the morning! :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm curious to hear descriptions and see images of all the extraordinary culinary opulance being eaten today!! Please share!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I'm curious to hear descriptions and see images of all the extraordinary culinary opulance being eaten today!! Please share!
Golden with her present!

Attachments

• 08BFE9D9-1B2C-4BA5-90B3-5A2A136E2641.jpeg
    08BFE9D9-1B2C-4BA5-90B3-5A2A136E2641.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: groovejuice

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Like egg nog with bacon?
Egg nog with spiced Captain and amaretto - egg nog optional - with a side of bacon :thumbu:

Nobody wanted turkey so did my homage to the Swiss Chalet Festive Feast

Fired up the smoker and did 6 hr low and slow baby back ribs and finished it off with a beer-can chicken, homemade fries and stuffing

Tasted great and a perfect excuse to drink whiskey all day :laugh:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
The benefit of owning a resto is getting things most people can’t get. 15 lbs roast beef plus cheddar dip, spinach artichoke dip, u8-12 shrimp. Great wine and family to top it all off.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Egg nog with spiced Captain and amaretto - egg nog optional - with a side of bacon :thumbu:

Nobody wanted turkey so did my homage to the Swiss Chalet Festive Feast

Fired up the smoker and did 6 hr low and slow baby back ribs and finished it off with a beer-can chicken, homemade fries and stuffing

Tasted great and a perfect excuse to drink whiskey all day :laugh:

Respect. I had been on turkey duty for about 8 years now (spatchcock + dry brine method). Got a bit tired of it and passed on responsibilities to someone else this year, felt great to just sit back and watch someone else stress. Maybe I'll take a page out of your book and opt for something outside tradition next year and that'll make things a bit more fun for me.

I received a MAP torch and potato ricer for christmas so maybe I'll upload some creations some time soon.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yum!

Attachments

• 0F6F93DA-F4EB-4F54-B0DA-FA979DD91703.jpeg
    0F6F93DA-F4EB-4F54-B0DA-FA979DD91703.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BF263554-CDFA-4568-B8DA-EB4D94DFDEE1.jpeg
    BF263554-CDFA-4568-B8DA-EB4D94DFDEE1.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 22

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was watching an espisode of Roy Donovan when the doctor that was treating him, offered him an egg salad sandwich that he took out of his pocket and told Donovan was made by his wife and tasted the best.

This got me thinking about how I have never even contemplated the idea of having egg salad sandwiches. And how much Anthony Bourdain loved his pre-packaged egg salad sandwiches from that mini-mart or dep called "Lawson" in Japan.

So, I've started looking up recipes for an egg salad sandwich and what made those at Lawson so fluffy.

Found this very simple recipe:

This recipe closely mirrors what I would call the best egg salad sandwich I've ever eaten in my life, widely available at "conbini"/convenience stores across Japan. My personal favorite one was at 7-Eleven, but they all have the same idea: super-smooth eggs that don't shy away from mayo, in between soft white bread.

I use a food processor to fluff up the egg salad, and add salt to taste as I puree. Use pepper sparingly; it should be super subtle. (It's better to use pepper that hasn't been freshly ground.) While milk bread is ideal, any soft white bread should do the trick; just make sure the crusts are off. If you don't have kewpie mayo, regular mayo will do (but kewpie mayo is great—and you'll get good use out of a bottle, available online and at most Asian markets).

Makes: 1 sandwich
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min

Ingredients
  • 2slices soft white bread (shokupan is best)
  • 2hard-boiled eggs
  • 3tablespoons kewpie mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Japanese 7-Eleven Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe on Food52

Good to know that the fluffy part comes from a food processor. I don't think I need the shokupan bread (we have reasonable facsimiles in our market) but what about the kewpie mayo?

g2ulG-CX70KMpJ-D1imspYQ6n9zv1wxmmlrGn6nOOQg.jpg

Do you use a similar recipe? Have you experimented? Which works best for you?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Yannman

May 25, 2018
Had my very first Israeli falafel last night. I knew what to look for both appearance and smell -wise, but it still shocked me as to how fragrant it tasted. You can't have this in Montreal to my knowledge. The huge, oily and bitter balls of it we have there do not come close to the real thing.

there's a new joint on st viateur corner clark called Yonni's. both the falafel and sabich wraps are world class. great zataar fries also. must try!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
You can see the insta pot in the background LMFAO!

I finally caved and bought one for my wife. I'm a purist who likes to cook soups and stews low and slow in a dutch oven after searing the meat and sauteing all the veggies and controlling the temperature.

Not crazy about these slow cookers but like the concept of a pressure cooker which I've never used before. Any good recipes yet?

We've used it a few times already, it takes a while to come to pressure, and after it cooks for a very short while it takes 20-30 mins to release steam manually. I could have cooked the same thing on the stove top. LOL

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
there's a new joint on st viateur corner clark called Yonni's. both the falafel and sabich wraps are world class. great zataar fries also. must try!

I've been meaning to try it, but speaking of falafel there's a great joint for anyone who works around Cote de Liesse it's called Chickpea, awesome falafel and their prices are much better than Yonni's (Plateau rent prices I guess)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I finally caved and bought one for my wife. I'm a purist who likes to cook soups and stews low and slow in a dutch oven after searing the meat and sauteing all the veggies and controlling the temperature.

Not crazy about these slow cookers but like the concept of a pressure cooker which I've never used before. Any good recipes yet?

We've used it a few times already, it takes a while to come to pressure, and after it cooks for a very short while it takes 20-30 mins to release steam manually. I could have cooked the same thing on the stove top. LOL
You get a real insta pot or a knock off?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was watching an espisode of Roy Donovan when the doctor that was treating him, offered him an egg salad sandwich that he took out of his pocket and told Donovan was made by his wife and tasted the best.

This got me thinking about how I have never even contemplated the idea of having egg salad sandwiches. And how much Anthony Bourdain loved his pre-packaged egg salad sandwiches from that mini-mart or dep called "Lawson" in Japan.

So, I've started looking up recipes for an egg salad sandwich and what made those at Lawson so fluffy.

Found this very simple recipe:

This recipe closely mirrors what I would call the best egg salad sandwich I've ever eaten in my life, widely available at "conbini"/convenience stores across Japan. My personal favorite one was at 7-Eleven, but they all have the same idea: super-smooth eggs that don't shy away from mayo, in between soft white bread.

I use a food processor to fluff up the egg salad, and add salt to taste as I puree. Use pepper sparingly; it should be super subtle. (It's better to use pepper that hasn't been freshly ground.) While milk bread is ideal, any soft white bread should do the trick; just make sure the crusts are off. If you don't have kewpie mayo, regular mayo will do (but kewpie mayo is great—and you'll get good use out of a bottle, available online and at most Asian markets).

Makes: 1 sandwich
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min

Ingredients
  • 2slices soft white bread (shokupan is best)
  • 2hard-boiled eggs
  • 3tablespoons kewpie mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Japanese 7-Eleven Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe on Food52

Good to know that the fluffy part comes from a food processor. I don't think I need the shokupan bread (we have reasonable facsimiles in our market) but what about the kewpie mayo?

g2ulG-CX70KMpJ-D1imspYQ6n9zv1wxmmlrGn6nOOQg.jpg

Do you use a similar recipe? Have you experimented? Which works best for you?

Kewpie is a must if you want thag Jap taste, if not its going to be somewhat tasteless or so.

Kewpie is full of msg tho.

Best way imo, is making your own with rice vinegar, Yuzu, dash/kombu powder (msg free)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kewpie is a must if you want thag Jap taste, if not its going to be somewhat tasteless or so.

Kewpie is full of msg tho.

Best way imo, is making your own with rice vinegar, Yuzu, dash/kombu powder (msg free)

Is this a good mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->