OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just as it is, plastered all over Westmount

il_570xN.1384834879_qne1.jpg

I thought all like Quebec signs were "Arrêt". I don't think I've seen one saying STOP in a long time.

But, I digress.

Reactions: Tighthead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-cultures/index.html

Top 10 best food countries...
What do y'all think?..@groovejuice @Runner77 @LyricalLyricist

I think USA in the top 10 is a bit of a farce...especially when there is no mention of any middle eastern countries. Lebanon has insane food. Perhaps, I'm slightly biased, but honestly, Leb food is sick.

Also personally not the biggest fan of French food. I love their bread, desserts and pastries, but in terms of meals, I never crave any.

Have to agree with their #1 though. I love Italian.

I agree with your take on US food and how Italian is a worldwide favorite, an easy no. 1.

Not a fan of French cuisine, it's generally very fatty and creamy.

I think the Indian, Greek and Mexican cuisines should have been ranked higher. I also agree that Leb food is amazing. I've been told by those who have had it (in Lebanon as opposed to a Lebanese restaurant in Montreal), have been blown away.

CNN should stick to politics.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
India and Japan should had been before Spain, if not France as well.

I like Mexican, but I think it’s ok where it is ranked. I also think Middle Eastern cuisine is right up there as well.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'd never had curry before I tried chicken cooked by a Pakistani lady, served with basmati and these buttery flat pita looking breads she called dodi. I later learned she used to be cook at the local restaurant in Lake Cowichan. She wrote down the recipe for me then I lost it. I remember about half of the 8 or so different spices, but man was it something. It had the kind of heat you dont really notice until you start sweating. Easily top ten list of great culinary treats I've had. She made some with deer meat, and salmon also.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd never had curry before I tried chicken cooked by a Pakistani lady, served with basmati and these buttery flat pita looking breads she called dodi. I later learned she used to be cook at the local restaurant in Lake Cowichan. She wrote down the recipe for me then I lost it. I remember about half of the 8 or so different spices, but man was it something. It had the kind of heat you dont really notice until you start sweating. Easily top ten list of great culinary treats I've had. She made some with deer meat, and salmon also.

I concur when it comes to Indian cuisine. I love anything that has masala in it, especially lamb.

Reactions: sandviper

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Curry is absolutely delicious. Indian cuisine is so flavorful.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I used to dislike curry until I had it at a friend’s place during university. She made it from her mom’s recipe and it was great chicken curry. I realized then I just never had curry that was made right as my past experiences always felt like a hole burning in my stomach.

Since then, I make a decent curry myself but more Thai based. Living in Toronto now, I’ve had some decent curry in restaurants, and we’re not talking five stars... small mom and pop shops.

Reactions: ArsHabs

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I used to dislike curry until I had it at a friend’s place during university. She made it from her mom’s recipe and it was great chicken curry. I realized then I just never had curry that was made right as my past experiences always felt like a hole burning in my stomach.

Since then, I make a decent curry myself but more Thai based. Living in Toronto now, I’ve had some decent curry in restaurants, and we’re not talking five stars... small mom and pop shops.

I'm lucky, two of my co workers make great curry's. One's from Sri Lanka who makes fantastic chicken Biriyani.

The other is from Bangladesh and makes an excellent chicken curry that is spicy but in a flavour sense and not a burn your butthole off. He can also fry up incredible chicken. He made Chicken Milanese a couple of weeks back that was insanely crispy.

Reactions: groovejuice

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Is this the right thread to ask, if anyone can verify how the Bell Centre has upped it's food experience this season?? Did Geoff deliver on his promise?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I have to believe that's one area (among others) where the Toronto restaurant scene is dominating -- has to be Indian restaurants given the strength in numbers of the community.

I don't travel to Toronto anymore but I occasionally get to Ottawa. Are there mom and pop Indian restaurants to recommend?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I have to believe that's one area (among others) where the Toronto restaurant scene is dominating -- has to be Indian restaurants given the strength in numbers of the community.

I don't travel to Toronto anymore but I occasionally get to Ottawa. Are there mom and pop Indian restaurants to recommend?

I live just outside Toronto, so I'm more familiar with local fare. My area is predominantly Asian, so Chinese and Japanese restaurants aplenty. However, there are some good Indian places I go to:

Southern Aroma: Mostly South Indian cuisine. Food is really good but this place is known for their mango shakes. My kids love it.

India's Taste: It's a buffet restaurant, but don't let that scare you. It's small, so their buffet is quite fresh and selection is not bad. Their mutton curry is awesome.

Bombay Touch: All about curry here. Easily my favorite place, but it is further than the others I've been to for me.

The one thing about many of these places (other than buffet) is you get a lot of food for the money. Leaving hungry is never an issue.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Indian Clay Oven in Kanata is good, as is Little India on Carling. Both offer lunch buffets on weekdays that can pretty much sink your afternoon in the best way.

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My favorite cuisine would have to be West Indian Ital cuisine. It’s very whole food plant based and absolutely delicious and filling.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I thought all like Quebec signs were "Arrêt". I don't think I've seen one saying STOP in a long time.

But, I digress.
Nope, not in Westmount. The stop signs there (at least on the route I typically take to the office) are in English.

Reactions: Runner77

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-cultures/index.html

Top 10 best food countries...
What do y'all think?..@groovejuice @Runner77 @LyricalLyricist

I think USA in the top 10 is a bit of a farce...especially when there is no mention of any middle eastern countries. Lebanon has insane food. Perhaps, I'm slightly biased, but honestly, Leb food is sick.

Also personally not the biggest fan of French food. I love their bread, desserts and pastries, but in terms of meals, I never crave any.

Have to agree with their #1 though. I love Italian.
In terms of taste, the Syrians have you beat IMO. The Syrians seem to have an affinity for food not paralleled by many, they just don't know how to market it internationally.
Also, we need a proper knafeh (The Nablus or Jerusalem version to be exact) place in Montreal because that stuff Adonis sells is garbage lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad