OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I was watching an espisode of Roy Donovan when the doctor that was treating him, offered him an egg salad sandwich that he took out of his pocket and told Donovan was made by his wife and tasted the best.

This got me thinking about how I have never even contemplated the idea of having egg salad sandwiches. And how much Anthony Bourdain loved his pre-packaged egg salad sandwiches from that mini-mart or dep called "Lawson" in Japan.

So, I've started looking up recipes for an egg salad sandwich and what made those at Lawson so fluffy.

Found this very simple recipe:

This recipe closely mirrors what I would call the best egg salad sandwich I've ever eaten in my life, widely available at "conbini"/convenience stores across Japan. My personal favorite one was at 7-Eleven, but they all have the same idea: super-smooth eggs that don't shy away from mayo, in between soft white bread.

I use a food processor to fluff up the egg salad, and add salt to taste as I puree. Use pepper sparingly; it should be super subtle. (It's better to use pepper that hasn't been freshly ground.) While milk bread is ideal, any soft white bread should do the trick; just make sure the crusts are off. If you don't have kewpie mayo, regular mayo will do (but kewpie mayo is great—and you'll get good use out of a bottle, available online and at most Asian markets).

Makes: 1 sandwich
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min

Ingredients
  • 2slices soft white bread (shokupan is best)
  • 2hard-boiled eggs
  • 3tablespoons kewpie mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Japanese 7-Eleven Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe on Food52

Good to know that the fluffy part comes from a food processor. I don't think I need the shokupan bread (we have reasonable facsimiles in our market) but what about the kewpie mayo?

g2ulG-CX70KMpJ-D1imspYQ6n9zv1wxmmlrGn6nOOQg.jpg

Do you use a similar recipe? Have you experimented? Which works best for you?

I have learned that 1/2 of the quality of a good sandwich/sub is due to the bread used.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Kewpie is a must if you want thag Jap taste, if not its going to be somewhat tasteless or so.

Kewpie is full of msg tho.

Best way imo, is making your own with rice vinegar, Yuzu, dash/kombu powder (msg free)

Kombu is full of natural MSG. If table salt was marketed as Sodium Chloride, millions of people would suddenly experience headaches and nausea from it. The actual number of people with a demonstrable sensitivity to MSG is rather insignificant.

Accent has been used as a flavour enhancer for decades, and there was no fuss about it until people heard, incorrectly, that MSG was bad. Umami IS MSG.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kombu is full of natural MSG. If table salt was marketed as Sodium Chloride, millions of people would suddenly experience headaches and nausea from it. The actual number of people with a demonstrable sensitivity to MSG is rather insignificant.

Accent has been used as a flavour enhancer for decades, and there was no fuss about it until people heard, incorrectly, that MSG was bad. Umami IS MSG.
I dont even know tbh, I just know people fuss over it a lot and I dont care for it.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I dont even know tbh, I just know people fuss over it a lot and I dont care for it.

You actually like MSG and don't realize it. Naturally occuring glutamates are chemically the same as artificial ones.

MSG naturally occurs in high amounts in:
corn, broccoli, peas, walnuts, seaweed, many seafoods, aged cheeses, cured meats, mushrooms, tomatoes... and is also ubiquitous in potato chips, corn chips, soy and fish sauces, countless other prepared sauces and condiments.

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Try a little horseradish and white vinegar if you like some zip in your food.
I have a cousin who'd never seen or heard of Wasabi. He ended up putting a good dollop on a cracker and popped it in his mouth. The next 15 minutes were scary, hilarious, and he still talks about it today. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I have a cousin who'd never seen or heard of Wasabi. He ended up putting a good dollop on a cracker and popped it in his mouth. The next 15 minutes were scary, hilarious, and he still talks about it today. :laugh:
Horseradish is one of my favorites.

Reactions: groovejuice

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Wife’s red sauce! Another 4 hours!

Attachments

• CE7EB056-7721-46FF-9834-8D14C401937C.jpeg
    CE7EB056-7721-46FF-9834-8D14C401937C.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I have been experimenting with Bloody Mary recipes as of late. Good Lord I love them! My favorite so far has bacon, shrimp and pickles is it. I use BIG glasses/cups. Going to try one with scallops in it next weekend.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I have been experimenting with Bloody Mary recipes as of late. Good Lord I love them! My favorite so far has bacon, shrimp and pickles is it. I use BIG glasses/cups. Going to try one with scallops in it next weekend.
Assuming you also like Bloody Caesars...

Have you tried Walter's caesar mix instead of Clamato? I really like it. I'll add a little bit of hot sauce and horseradish but it doesn't need anything more than that. I was skeptical that a mix would be good, but here we are

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Have you tried Walter's caesar mix instead of Clamato? I really like it. I'll add a little bit of hot sauce and horseradish but it doesn't need anything more than that. I was skeptical that a mix would be good, but here we are
Have not tried those. Been using tomato juice.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I prefer clamato as well, but the tartness can be overwhelming if any additional sour ingredients are added.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just saw a "spicy perogy" pizza ad for BP.

"Sour cream, bacon, Cactus Cut Potatoes, pizza mozzarella, cheddar, green onions and a dollop of sour cream."

Yay or nay? Flavour-wise only, let's not question the overall quality of BP pizza for the moment.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.png

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Different, probably not bad, bacon helps, and what are cactus cut potatoes?
This is my theory only, I haven't done any research on it.

These are relatively thinly sliced potatoes that, when subsequently baked (or deep-fried), curl up slightly to look like certain cactus leaves with their shape.

IMG_3345.jpg

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Just saw a "spicy pegory" pizza ad for BP.

"Sour cream, bacon, Cactus Cut Potatoes, pizza mozzarella, cheddar, green onions and a dollop of sour cream."

Yay or nay? Flavour-wise only, let's not question the overall quality of BP pizza for the moment.

I’d just as soon have perogies with the fixings.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->