OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I finally got around to start making kombucha again, I have a gallon right now fermenting, once the first phase is over I will add some fresh gingers and blueberries for flavor. When I lived in a house with my ex I brewed a lot of it. I have bottles with those old time tops with a tiny rubber gasket and porcelain. I bought a tool for it today, a heater for a gallon jar. When it is brewing it should be between approx 70 to around degrees, the warmer the faster and this was very cleverly done. Now I don't have to worry and check the temperature all the time.

With regard to sous vide my instant pot can do that as well. It takes a while to learn the ropes for instance I made chicken soup 2 weeks ago and did several mistakes. I cut up the chicken first, I put in the pasta too early and I cooked it too long. Fortunately Jack could eat the meat which was almost crumbly, the pasta was horrible like 200 thousand times non al dente, not good at al. So I bought the instant pot bible and there I learned that you can do sous vide as we ll, It is a very handy tool, everything from yogurt to whole turkey can be done. I bought a few extra gaskets so I can use one gasket for things like yogurt, cakes and desserts and one for meat and non sweet cooking.
I made jasmine rice and it was very good, best I have ever done.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I guess someone here might be familiar with pickling.

I put raw garlic cloves (just crushed) in those korean pickles. Now they have a certain blue-ish color. My understanding is that this is a normal chemical reaction that is not dangerous in any mean, and does not alter flavor. So, if there's someone familiar with that, a confirmation would be nice. I don't want to make my parents nor myself sick. :laugh:

Tried to take a picture.
ea2cf8380f.jpg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I put raw garlic cloves (just crushed) in those korean pickles. Now they have a certain blue-ish color. My understanding is that this is a normal chemical reaction that is not dangerous in any mean, and does not alter flavor. So, if there's someone familiar with that, a confirmation would be nice. I don't want to make my parents nor myself sick. :laugh:

Tried to take a picture.
ea2cf8380f.jpg

You can safely eat them I pickle a lot. Everything from water melon rinds to mushrooms, to squash, to cocktail onions to garlic and more. I have had the bluish colors at times and I was worried the first time it happened so I researched it and after reading that it was not dangerous I ate them.

Reactions: Treb and angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Tried to take a picture.
ea2cf8380f.jpg
It's normal,no problem.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So, since I live alone I'm gonna join my parents' "bubble" for Christmas. I have suggested having a Korean BBQ style dinner, with korean short ribs and a bunch of side dishes.

I sent them a menu that I tried to simplify (since they would not understand anything) using side dishes idea I found on the internet, including some non korean ones because they told me they were not a fan of gochujang and doenjang when I asked them to taste them - though I made them taste the pastes like that with nothing, not the best idea.

Either way, this is what I'll have to prepare (with the "x") for that dinner, yippy! Thankfully most things are super quick and easy. We each made 3 choices, so kimchi, tteok and the spinach are mine
7eb28bfa5a.jpg
Not very Traditional though is it? Rather common everyday Korean food.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My friend said he's give me a couple of chickens and when I went to pick them up,fresh ones! still clucking and and kicking.:eek::laugh::thumbu:

Reactions: Runner77

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
You can safely eat them I pickle a lot. Everything from water melon rinds to mushrooms, to squash, to cocktail onions to garlic and more. I have had the bluish colors at times and I was worried the first time it happened so I researched it and after reading that it was not dangerous I ate them.
It's normal,no problem.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah it seems to be just a common chemical reaction that mostly happens when the garlic is crushed.
Not very Traditional though is it? Rather common everyday Korean food.
It's just side dishes that you could find at a korean BBQ. Didn't want to go too Korean for my parents - hence why some choices on that menu are not really Korean.

Reactions: angusyoung

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A friend had a place in the country with lots of wild garlic growing on his sugar bush. Never had anything as delicious as pickled wild garlic cloves. But being an endangered plant, you have to be careful picking it.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
A friend had a place in the country with lots of wild garlic growing on his sugar bush. Never had anything as delicious as pickled wild garlic cloves. But being an endangered plant, you have to be careful picking it.

Plus the vampire protection those bushes give you as well. :)

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
God Jul!

Fa39rGS.jpg

Traditional Swedish Christmas dinner with ham, meatballs, pickled herring, sausages, beet salad and boiled eggs, served with julmust.

Stop with the mental abuse! Prinskorv (prince sausage like a tiny brat), beet salad, inlagd sill (pickled herring, I can see mustard pickled and regular) and of course julskinka (Christmas ham). Getting really hungry and thirsty (julmust). Ingen Janssons Frestelse?

Reactions: Runner77 and Franck

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of maple syrup, I have just sent a special bottle to my ex who lives in Missouri.

I got it maybe 10 years ago at a Martin Picard's sugar shack.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Does it look the same as the garlic we know? why is it endangered though? can plants be going extinct as well? Don't know if I'd eat that wild garlic,but that sugar bush sounds pretty good.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks for the insight. Yeah it seems to be just a common chemical reaction that mostly happens when the garlic is crushed.

It's just side dishes that you could find at a korean BBQ. Didn't want to go too Korean for my parents - hence why some choices on that menu are not really Korean.

Glad it worked out,nice and accepting of your family to deviate from the norm.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad