OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not sure why they would call it laos powder. What I've gotten in the past it is called galangal and is a product from Thailand. Did a quick search and curious that they call galangal laos powder in some cases,odd

It's probably an old nomenclature that's based on historical practice.

Laos is right next to Thailand and also use the spice. I guess the British decided it was a Laos spice when they got there.

Apparently, it's sometime called Thai ginger as well.

EDIT:
Galangal Powder Substitute
Galangal powder comes from the galangal root, which is a rhizome similar to ginger. It is sometimes called Laos root or Thai ginger because of its frequent use in Laotian and Thai cuisine.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Laos is right next to Thailand and also use the spice. I guess the British decided it was a Laos spice when they got there.

Apparently, it's sometime called Thai ginger as well.

EDIT:
Galangal Powder Substitute

The history of Laos is interesting have a fair amount of friends from there,most speak French before English as it was colony of France. The Thai food I make galangal is already in the paste whereas the Indo/Malay it is incorporated into it.

Ground galangal reminds me of the drink mix years ago,Tang? from it's aroma,citric,tart.
Those substitutes they mention,pass,not comparable and most likely would severely alter the flavor.

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
@Zaide

I have some bulgogi beef marinating for tonight!

While I was shopping a a korean market earlier this months, I had also picked a Rabokki package. Made it this weekend (obviously adding a spoon of gochujang for added spiciness) and it was better than what I tasted in most Korean restaurant in Montreal (probably because most restaurant put it at white boy spicy level and I'm not even sure they use gochujang). I didn't have fish cake so I used grilled spam instead (they use it in budae-jjigae so why not) and obviously with cheese on top. Would also have added an egg but only had enough for my breakfast the next day.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Fell upon some of this and not a big fan of flavored cheese but it was there so why not? Not as intense of a jalapeno flavor as desired nor as spicy and the cheese is young but would buy again.
upload_2020-12-15_16-10-13.jpeg

upload_2020-12-15_16-10-48.jpeg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
@Zaide

I have some bulgogi beef marinating for tonight!

While I was shopping a a korean market earlier this months, I had also picked a Rabokki package. Made it this weekend (obviously adding a spoon of gochujang for added spiciness) and it was better than what I tasted in most Korean restaurant in Montreal (probably because most restaurant put it at white boy spicy level and I'm not even sure they use gochujang). I didn't have fish cake so I used grilled spam instead (they use it in budae-jjigae so why not) and obviously with cheese on top. Would also have added an egg but only had enough for my breakfast the next day.

Spam still exists?:huh: the rest sounds good though:thumbu:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Spam still exists?:huh: the rest sounds good though:thumbu:

It is still popular in some Asian countries and Hawaii.

There is the budae-jjigae (army stew) in Korea, which is a dish invented in the 1960s after the war. It's basically an everything but the kitchen sink stew. It can have ham, sausage, spam, baked beans, kimchi, ramen noodle, tofu, ground meat, rice cakes...

In Hawaii, they have spam musubi, which is grilled spam with a rice block wrapped in nori.

In the Phillipines, it is often used in fried rice with a fried egg on top.

In Japan (Okinawa), there is Chanpuru which is a mix of meat (often spam), bitter melon, tofu and vegetables.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think I've mentioned this recipe before on the forum, but not sure if I posted it in this thread, so anyway, sorry if I'm repeating myself...

I'm a real fiend when it comes to copying restaurant recipes. The simpler ones, mind you.

So I really loved a Chez Cora breakfast recipe and decided to make it at home (last year) and it's gotta be one of the best breakfast recipes I've made. So I did it again, today and decided to share it since it's sooooo good.

It's the benedict eggs with goat cheese, spinash, roasted onions and shrooms.

It's pretty easy actually, just need to time everything and make a good Hollandaise sauce (why the f*** is it not named Dutch sauce in English? it's gotta be because of the French!). The poached eggs are the hardest.

Ask if you want more details.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think I've mentioned this recipe before on the forum, but not sure if I posted it in this thread, so anyway, sorry if I'm repeating myself...

I'm a real fiend when it comes to copying restaurant recipes. The simpler ones, mind you.

So I really loved a Chez Cora breakfast recipe and decided to make it at home (last year) and it's gotta be one of the best breakfast recipes I've made. So I did it again, today and decided to share it since it's sooooo good.

It's pretty easy actually, just need to time everything and make a good Hollandaise sauce (why the f*** is it not named Dutch sauce in English? it's gotta be because of the French!). The poached eggs are the hardest.

It used to be called Dutch sauce before the 20th century. The Diner's Dictionary

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

There is the budae-jjigae (army stew) in Korea, which is a dish invented in the 1960s after the war. It's basically an everything but the kitchen sink stew. It can have ham, sausage, spam, baked beans, kimchi, ramen noodle, tofu, ground meat, rice cakes...

In Hawaii, they have spam musubi, which is grilled spam with a rice block wrapped in nori.

In Japan (Okinawa), there is Chanpuru which is a mix of meat (often spam), bitter melon, tofu and vegetables.

It must be South Korean then as North Korea doesn't even have the opportunity to throw anything in:(

I've seen it about Hawaii although I never tried it and it wasn't even at Luau's or the Polynesian culture center.

The mrs has mentioned it's popular in Japan and had it regularly when she was a kid,but not since,not a fan. In Okinawa there a lot of food there we would never even try,I go by what she suggests and trust her in that regard.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Back home we just call it sauce;)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Cactus Jack's DNA result came back. Mainly boxer which I suspected given his meaty lower lip, his bulky but narrow chest, his athleticism and his habit of fighting with his paws. The second breed was surprising since I already had one and they couldn't be more different. Yes his second breed is Chow, the dog with few friends. Snoop was golden/chow 75/25 mix and his temperament was 100% chow. Family was fine, a few selected friends were fine. Strangers were treated suspiciously and some with real aggression (former manager's husband who we found out later was a real shit) and vets. One female vet called him vicious and when I heard she had called him that I was on my way to complain about her, he was 6 months at the time (I have saved the document somewhere). Jack loves people, when we go to the dog park he runs around and says hello to all the people first before he mixes it with the dogs. Then there were a few expected, little bit of pit, little bit of shepherd and little bit of some sort of southern hound. One of his parents must have been a full boxer or he wouldn't be 55% boxer, one grandparent must have been a full chow. Kudos to cphabs who guessed boxer.

Edit: With regards to cphabs catching he was boxer based I might add that I never thought he was a boxer by watching the pictures. It was after a few weeks of having him and looking at a picture of a friend's dog who is a boxer mix and noticed the lower lip, then I took him to a dog park and he was playing with a young female boxer and they looked great together, very athletic and ran like the wind and very similar body but larger. Then his chest that looked very similar with the athletic v-shape towards the shoulders and the large white marking going from his throat all the way between his front legs and ending behind those legs in a thumb's length.. Then finally the drool when he is running and playing with other dogs.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Have you ever tried balut,I am sure you know what it is. I have a friend who once worked in Iraq and he met a nurse from the Philippines there and she invited him to the Philippines . One time they were sitting having a drink with her parents and her brothers when there was some sort of commotion and it was a street salesman selling balut among other things. He was the honorary guest and they had bought an egg for everyone and he felt he couldn't refuse. He told me he just basically swallowed as fast and as much as he could, then he drank alcohol almost immediately to kill any type of taste. So he really never tasted it. Balut is the Filipino name of an egg with a duckling inside and it is a popular street food in several other SE Asian countries as well.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Well this is the food thread, so here... I always knew that rubbery chicken was suspect.

Subway is accused of having falsely represented their sandwiches as being "chicken." This claim is based on a CBC Marketplace report that reported the results of a DNA analysis performed by a researcher at a Trent University laboratory.

According to that research, the pieces of chicken found in Subway sandwiches contain only about 50 per cent chicken DNA, the rest being soy.
Subway denies these allegations, and the allegations haven't yet been tested in court.

The company challenged the application for the class action on several grounds. The company maintains that the DNA analysis report in question lacks rigour, saying it's not dated or signed and doesn't indicate where the analyzed sandwiches came from, other than that they were bought from franchises in Ontario.

Subway also claims that its recipes contain less than 1 per cent soy protein, according to the Court of Appeal judgment.

All these questions will be thoroughly tested at trial, however -- a judge will have to determine whether Subway adequately represented its chicken sandwiches to its customers.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Have you ever tried balut,I am sure you know what it is. I have a friend who once worked in Iraq and he met a nurse from the Philippines there and she invited him to the Philippines . One time they were sitting having a drink with her parents and her brothers when there was some sort of commotion and it was a street salesman selling balut among other things. He was the honorary guest and they had bought an egg for everyone and he felt he couldn't refuse. He told me he just basically swallowed as fast and as much as he could, then he drank alcohol almost immediately to kill any type of taste. So he really never tasted it. Balut is the Filipino name of an egg with a duckling inside and it is a popular street food in several other SE Asian countries as well.

Balut is not something I want to try.
Well this is the food thread, so here... I always knew that rubbery chicken was suspect.

Subway is accused of having falsely represented their sandwiches as being "chicken." This claim is based on a CBC Marketplace report that reported the results of a DNA analysis performed by a researcher at a Trent University laboratory.

According to that research, the pieces of chicken found in Subway sandwiches contain only about 50 per cent chicken DNA, the rest being soy.
Subway denies these allegations, and the allegations haven't yet been tested in court.

The company challenged the application for the class action on several grounds. The company maintains that the DNA analysis report in question lacks rigour, saying it's not dated or signed and doesn't indicate where the analyzed sandwiches came from, other than that they were bought from franchises in Ontario.

Subway also claims that its recipes contain less than 1 per cent soy protein, according to the Court of Appeal judgment.

All these questions will be thoroughly tested at trial, however -- a judge will have to determine whether Subway adequately represented its chicken sandwiches to its customers.

The Irish court also ruled that their bread was not bread because it contained too much sugar.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Cactus Jack's DNA result came back. Mainly boxer which I suspected given his meaty lower lip, his bulky but narrow chest, his athleticism and his habit of fighting with his paws. The second breed was surprising since I already had one and they couldn't be more different. Yes his second breed is Chow, the dog with few friends. Snoop was golden/chow 75/25 mix and his temperament was 100% chow. Family was fine, a few selected friends were fine. Strangers were treated suspiciously and some with real aggression (former manager's husband who we found out later was a real shit) and vets. One female vet called him vicious and when I heard she had called him that I was on my way to complain about her, he was 6 months at the time (I have saved the document somewhere). Jack loves people, when we go to the dog park he runs around and says hello to all the people first before he mixes it with the dogs. Then there were a few expected, little bit of pit, little bit of shepherd and little bit of some sort of southern hound. One of his parents must have been a full boxer or he wouldn't be 55% boxer, one grandparent must have been a full chow. Kudos to cphabs who guessed boxer.

Edit: With regards to cphabs catching he was boxer based I might add that I never thought he was a boxer by watching the pictures. It was after a few weeks of having him and looking at a picture of a friend's dog who is a boxer mix and noticed the lower lip, then I took him to a dog park and he was playing with a young female boxer and they looked great together, very athletic and ran like the wind and very similar body but larger. Then his chest that looked very similar with the athletic v-shape towards the shoulders and the large white marking going from his throat all the way between his front legs and ending behind those legs in a thumb's length.. Then finally the drool when he is running and playing with other dogs.

Interesting result. Can you post another pic so we can see and compare? it's easier to find here. Chow is not something I would have thought of. What's the tongue like?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Groovejuice tried to explain balut to me and not being sure, I posted a pic which endured about as long as the 100 meter race.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad