OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I love grilling, and will not eat a steak at home unless its cooked on the BBQ.

Used to be like that about burgers. But at some point I fried up some burgers in a pan and really liked them. I think its because when you grill, all the fat drips away, where as in a pan, it does not. So fried burgers are really juicy, and tasty.

Thoughts ?

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Used to be like that about burgers. But at some point I fried up some burgers in a pan and really liked them. I think its because when you grill, all the fat drips away, where as in a pan, it does not. So fried burgers are really juicy, and tasty.

Thoughts ?

Big fan of the pan ,prefer it. Make a huge batch and freeze them and nuke them properly when in a rush.
I always make a penade and season it with some Worcestershire sauce.:thumbu:

Reactions: yianik

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Always love me some homemade Baklava:hyper:

baklava-6dc5679.jpg

tenor.gif
:laugh:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I always preach to wear shoes when prepping/cooking, but now must amend that to emphasize proper footwear! Had a mishap due to my haste in getting ceviche and some tapas ready and not changing to proper footwear and inadvertently dropped the chefs knife and it plummeted piercing and gouging a beloved Italian calfskin driving moccasin, Salvatore, ti prego perdonami! Made a mess of a few toes as well but a fairly easy cleanup and a little medi-glue sufficed. Thankfully the marble floor was unscathed but had to seek out a competent cobbler. Although it was repaired rather skillfully, I can still see it if others do not, if that makes any sense.:mad:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Things are crazy on our forum! People need to start finding common ground... Food and drinks! Hope everyone is well! Making grilled cheese sandwiches out of my favorite cheese tonight. They are going along with some homemade vegetable soup! 7 year old cheddar from Quebec! Best cheddar ever in my books!

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend gave me one of these to try, pretty good,nice and refreshing when bloody hot! Still though,prefer my heinys.

300_300_bacardi_breezer_watermelon.jpg

Reactions: cphabs

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Looks pretty well done, curious how you learnt to do it. Any issues with the rice? that's usually the trickiest part for those that are not all that familiar with it.
The rice, I made with a rice cooker. Even asian people now a days use them all the time. Makes it for perfect rice every time.
Make sure you rince rice 3 to 4 times before cooking as it has tons of starch(?). Also when you are rolling, have a bowl of water next to you so the rice doesn't stick on your hands, but also put some rice vinegar in the water. This way you're not puting blend water taste on the rice while you are spreading it on the nori. Never press the rice to hard on the nori, you want air between the rice grains for a fluffy pleasant texture!

Oh and to finish, how I learned? I have an obsessive passion for cooking and learning. My girlfriend loves it as much as she hates it lol. Mom was a chef, dad owned restaurants. Grew up in a kitchen. Tastes are pretty good but the cooking struggle is presentation. I'm very visually creative in my head but once materialised it ends up as a hit and miss...
:(

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Thoughts ?

watch matty matheson on burgers. Same concept applies to steaks.

source: married to a (formerly) michelin starred grill chef

Reactions: yianik and Treb

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars

Thoughts ?
Love non BBQ steaks.
Dry that steak, alot.
Fusion hot cast iron pan or regular pan. Avocado or grape seed oil. Scorch that mf. Baste last 90-120 seconds with a slab of butter, whole garlics, thyme and rosemary.
Rest.

Favorite cut lately but too pricy, :( hanger steak!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Thoughts ?

I put a skillet on the grill at the same time because I find basting with butter and herbs just makes it perfect.
I grill it for a few minutes, then put it in skillet with the butter and herbs to baste. Best of both worlds.

I grill my burgers. If I use a pan, I cook them in bacon fat.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017

Thoughts ?
Steaks on charcoal briquettes I understand

otherwise grill/pan fry just for seal and then in the oven

ps bacon in the oven is the only way to go

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I rarely do Tandoori Chicken (nearly always drumsticks) because that's a lot of time and operations involved for, well, non smoked, marinated chicken. But that's really good, and yogourt can be used as a marinade base for many different applications. Except jerk-type. Doesn't work well at all.

My grilling/BBQ game got significantly better once I started brining the longer cooking pieces.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I always preach to wear shoes when prepping/cooking, but now must amend that to emphasize proper footwear! Had a mishap due to my haste in getting ceviche and some tapas ready and not changing to proper footwear and inadvertently dropped the chefs knife and it plummeted piercing and gouging a beloved Italian calfskin driving moccasin, Salvatore, ti prego perdonami! Made a mess of a few toes as well but a fairly easy cleanup and a little medi-glue sufficed. Thankfully the marble floor was unscathed but had to seek out a competent cobbler. Although it was repaired rather skillfully, I can still see it if others do not, if that makes any sense.:mad:

I use a pair of crocs, named after that red haired chef (Batali) who is paying a lot (600,000) to women for sexual harassment. They have real soles with non slippery material unlike other crocs. Yes, if you have the right sort of footwear it helps when standing a lot. Btw, he is not fat anymore so maybe he will live longer?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Was fortunate to be spoiled by some fresh caught swordfish caught that morning that was perfectly done. Even was able to get my hands on a few steaks from the man for later consumption:vhappy:

Reactions: MXD

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I use a pair of crocs, named after that red haired chef (Batali) who is paying a lot (600,000) to women for sexual harassment. They have real soles with non slippery material unlike other crocs. Yes, if you have the right sort of footwear it helps when standing a lot. Btw, he is not fat anymore so maybe he will live longer?

Shit luck or what, but another recent mishap when opening one of the freezer doors, have vertical freezers, and some leftover bacon that was frozen somehow slid out and and with the accuracy of a knife thrower and maimed the same frikin toes! Was shoe-less at the time but will consider wearing my klumpen from now on. Great for the fields and that but what a racket on the floors:nod:Usually I just wear whatever that has good grip and closed but getting to the point of finding a suit of armor in my size.:dunno:

upload_2021-8-19_16-7-52.jpeg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad