OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Not sure if they have anything exciting except maybe more poutine compared to the usual fast food place in Ontario.
I don't think steamies are a thing in Ontario?

I know that a friend of mine who moved here from Ontario tried them and thinks they're disgusting, but maybe they just don't have them where he's from.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015

I know that a friend of mine who moved here from Ontario tried them and thinks they're disgusting, but maybe they just don't have them where he's from.

They are in my town. There is a place called Billy K's, that started off in Cornwall Ontario....they opened up a few other locations, and the one in my town survived. Steamies, toasties, good poutine....using dogs (Lesters) and buns (Pom) from Montreal. Identical to La Belle Province.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Never understood the appeal of steamies. Toasted is way better for me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I drove by a new burger place on Sunday but they had lines like Costco when the sh*t house paper were bought up! No way I am going spend 30-40 minutes for a burger!

Shake Shack

dVc6iAK3EaR5XJp4j6fOtcHYiGCkgB6UGXhMe6KJmNc.jpg

We have better places than that in Canada. When are you getting your dual US/CAN citizenship (or maybe triple, as I assume you still have your Swedish citizenship)? :sarcasm:

Hot dang, I'm getting hungry for Boustan again.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So for my wife's birthday, I made fresh pasta for the first time. It turned out nicely! As you could tell from the colour, I made squid ink pasta:

kpRimfS.jpg

IxAVZ8e.png

I usually buy it fresh made from a grocery store but doing it yourself is obviously far better. So yummy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was so happy when I found smoked eel at the German deli Edelweiss in Portland. I love eel. We used to fish eel, you had to be out when it was still dark or they would bend the hooks and slip away. They once put an eel in a well to keep bugs away, that was in 1859. She was still alive almost 150 years late.. Her eyes had become very big. I had a friend who worked for the county and they used to get a lot of eels stuck in an opening with a screen going to turbine for electricity. I told him to bring a couple because I wasn't sure it was true. One day I came home and there was a black large garbage bag hanging on the door knob. I felt it and felt this large eel moving about. There were 2 large eels and I put them in the bathtub while I tried to figure out how I would kill them. I put a large nail through the head and into a wooden chopping board, cut of the skin and use a plier to put it off. That thing still moved around with half the throat cut and no skin. That was a bit unnerving. Anyway, I fried it and it was great, the other I gave to my mom. She ate everything, like a big dog!

Smoked eel is called rökt ål.

image.jpg

Eel tastes amazing. I always have it once a year, at Christmas time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone think La Belle Province would be successful expanding to Ontario?

I know someone who made a fortune selling Montreal bagels and smoked meat in Ontario and then ended up having to sell his share to his partner, when things went awry.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I remember eating at one in New York about 7 years or so ago. Salt was very prevalent in both the burger and fries but still pretty tasty lol

Similar to my first experience with the Outback restaurant, main ingredient was salt. Everything was terrible and inedible. Complained to the management and they mustered up some free drinks and desert but still never went back-in:allears:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I know someone who made a fortune selling Montreal bagels and smoked meat in Ontario and then ended up having to sell his share to his partner, when things went awry.
I was out riding around Victoria in the late 90's when I stumbled on a bagel joint. As soon as I walked in, I knew these guys were from Montreal. They had the same set-up as Fairmount bagels. The owner had actually learned his craft at the very same. Sesame and poppy seed were both amazing, took home a dozen of each.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Similar to my first experience with the Outback restaurant, main ingredient was salt. Everything was terrible and inedible. Complained to the management and they mustered up some free drinks and desert but still never went back-in:allears:

Then you have their stupid commercials with an Aussie speaking. I have eaten once or twice there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad