OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The rice, I made with a rice cooker. Even asian people now a days use them all the time. Makes it for perfect rice every time.
Make sure you rince rice 3 to 4 times before cooking as it has tons of starch(?). Also when you are rolling, have a bowl of water next to you so the rice doesn't stick on your hands, but also put some rice vinegar in the water. This way you're not puting blend water taste on the rice while you are spreading it on the nori. Never press the rice to hard on the nori, you want air between the rice grains for a fluffy pleasant texture!

Oh and to finish, how I learned? I have an obsessive passion for cooking and learning. My girlfriend loves it as much as she hates it lol. Mom was a chef, dad owned restaurants. Grew up in a kitchen. Tastes are pretty good but the cooking struggle is presentation. I'm very visually creative in my head but once materialised it ends up as a hit and miss...
:(

Never used a rice cooker until my Japanese mrs introduced it to me,works perfect every time. She's a very good cook and introduced me to many of her local cuisine that's not common elsewhere,showed me many methods and techniques and sounds like you got a good handle on things.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
watch matty matheson on burgers. Same concept applies to steaks.

source: married to a (formerly) michelin starred grill chef

He has some interesting takes,not for the health conscious individual however.
Why she left? sounds like a decent gig?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I rarely do Tandoori Chicken (nearly always drumsticks) because that's a lot of time and operations involved for, well, non smoked, marinated chicken. But that's really good, and yogourt can be used as a marinade base for many different applications. Except jerk-type. Doesn't work well at all.

My grilling/BBQ game got significantly better once I started brining the longer cooking pieces.

Really like to brine my birds and pieces or marinade. You have a tandoori oven? just curious.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He has some interesting takes,not for the health conscious individual however.
Why she left? sounds like a decent gig?

One of the regulars there suggested that she try private chef work and it's proven to be more lucrative and significantly less stressful. A lot of those high end restaurants are outstanding proving grounds, but creatively limiting, and it's 6 days a week, ~50 weeks of the year. Which in her case, wasn't the best fit. I can send you her website via PM if you are curious to learn more!

Bacon in the oven:thumbu::thumbu:

Truly the only way to go.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
When is it due?

attention-benedict-cumberbatch.gif

:skeptic:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Kokoretsi was available the other night and explained it to those that knew not what it was that it's offal, and that it is awful , can still taste it from some like 30+ years ago :pullhair: but some were game and liked it, who knew? :dunno:

upload_2021-8-24_16-9-59.jpeg

Reactions: Holystik

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
One of the regulars there suggested that she try private chef work and it's proven to be more lucrative and significantly less stressful. A lot of those high end restaurants are outstanding proving grounds, but creatively limiting, and it's 6 days a week, ~50 weeks of the year. Which in her case, wasn't the best fit. I can send you her website via PM if you are curious to learn more!

Truly the only way to go.

Thanks but not necessary,no benefit for her or myself. Working for oneself can have advantages, especially if you have a creative accountant. Still though, takes some cojones to up and leave one country to go to another for a new venture,good for her.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just received some very,very belated gifts,much appreciated as my buddy and I enjoyed them a great deal when in Cayo Largo. Good stuff :thumbu: and dropping bits of charas on the stogies,:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::eek::laugh:

Completely forgot to attach images:doh: Passing the blame on to the charas and the rum

upload_2021-8-31_17-10-34.jpeg
upload_2021-8-31_17-10-45.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs and Gyfu

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Kokoretsi was available the other night and explained it to those that knew not what it was that it's offal, and that it is awful , can still taste it from some like 30+ years ago :pullhair: but some were game and liked it, who knew? :dunno:

View attachment 462325

Offals can be good.

I like liver, tongue, heart and kidney.

Tripes are not really my thing.

Never really tried brain, testicles, sweetbread...

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Offals can be good.

I like liver, tongue, heart and kidney.

Tripes are not really my thing.

Never really tried brain, testicles, sweetbread...

Chicken and beef livers is good for me as is tongue, had chicken hearts, a very Japanese thing but not for me Not sure I've ever had kidney though, possible I did not understand as at times language issues.....

Have had sweetbreads and not a fan but every once in a while we get a testicle casserole,not sure if it's sheep or bulls though and it's very good and not off-putting. Then again, after 4 or 5 ouzo's and a few liters of wine,everything is good.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I swear this is not an ad, but if they want to hook me up with some free beer, send me a PM!

I checked out the new https://titefrette.ca/ that recently opened up in Brossard over the weekend, and thought it was great. I'm pretty hesitant to try any new beers available at the grocery stores on the South Shore since most offerings are pretty awful at worst or just not worth buying a second time at best, but when I saw this place opened up not too far from my place, I wanted to go. I waited til I was hanging out with a friend who knows a lot about beer, and we went on Sunday.

It's probably nothing special compared to a lot of shops or even the delivery services on the island, but I really appreciated it, and of the 10 or so beers we tried (split each beer 2-3 ways), I'd buy all of them but one again (it was a weird hoppy cider that none of us enjoyed).

Stout season is coming up, so no choice but to try a bunch of new ones!

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I swear this is not an ad, but if they want to hook me up with some free beer, send me a PM!

I checked out the new https://titefrette.ca/ that recently opened up in Brossard over the weekend, and thought it was great. I'm pretty hesitant to try any new beers available at the grocery stores on the South Shore since most offerings are pretty awful at worst or just not worth buying a second time at best, but when I saw this place opened up not too far from my place, I wanted to go. I waited til I was hanging out with a friend who knows a lot about beer, and we went on Sunday.

It's probably nothing special compared to a lot of shops or even the delivery services on the island, but I really appreciated it, and of the 10 or so beers we tried (split each beer 2-3 ways), I'd buy all of them but one again (it was a weird hoppy cider that none of us enjoyed).

Stout season is coming up, so no choice but to try a bunch of new ones!

Giving away samples is good pr,gets consumers trying a product and may become interested in it and buy in the future. Can't be easy these days with the market already flooded as is.

Always was curious though why some people often buy different beer rather than the one or two that they most enjoy. I have my go to that is pretty much available anywhere in the world but will try the local ones to see how they are.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Harvest time is once again upon us and I'm getting another barrel for our contributions:vhappy:
Got one last year and thought it would last,silly me:blush:
Wine may appear elegant and glamorous when having a lovely romantic evening,and it may very well be so,but making it is so far from that, very labor intensive! and don't even talk to me about all the wasps it attracts.:nod:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Giving away samples is good pr,gets consumers trying a product and may become interested in it and buy in the future. Can't be easy these days with the market already flooded as is.

Always was curious though why some people often buy different beer rather than the one or two that they most enjoy. I have my go to that is pretty much available anywhere in the world but will try the local ones to see how they are.
I enjoy trying different beers. I'll have some go-tos I'll pick up at a grocery store or random dep if I want something I know I'd enjoy, but trying new ones is always fun. The only way to find a new favourite is to try!

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I had pig's tail, pig's feet and black (blood) pudding when I was a kid. My mom said that I really like the tails? I have a vague memory so I was probably 6-7 years old. I even drank some blood (mom did her own recipe of black pudding). I had been playing soccer and came into the kitchen (mom was not there) and saw a container with some reddish fluid. I grabbed a glass and scooped up what I thought was strawberry lemonade or cordial/squash which we make in Sweden and then you mix it with water, usually something like 1 part cordial and 3 or 4 parts of water. Anyway, I did spit out some but most were swallowed.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I enjoy trying different beers. I'll have some go-tos I'll pick up at a grocery store or random dep if I want something I know I'd enjoy, but trying new ones is always fun. The only way to find a new favourite is to try!

The only beers I drink are pilsner and blonde wheat beer, preferably of German origin. I drink quite a lot of apple and perry cider, more than beer.

CrewkHead

Oct 25, 2006
Any fan of dry aging meat? I tried a whole filet mignon which was a total fiasco.

Tried bone-in rib roast which was pretty good but it totally change the flavor of the meat. I cooked regular and dry at the same time to compare. Now i'm drying a single tomahawk for 14 days since there will be too much lost if longer.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

If you replace the word beers for wives,I get it:laugh:

Happily I was born into my favorite beer but always enjoy trying others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad