OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was out riding around Victoria in the late 90's when I stumbled on a bagel joint. As soon as I walked in, I knew these guys were from Montreal. They had the same set-up as Fairmount bagels. The owner had actually learned his craft at the very same. Sesame and poppy seed were both amazing, took home a dozen of each.

Was it thriving? still in operation?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's none of my business and I'm naturally inquisitive, have a thirst for knowledge that is never quenched, but if enjoyed so much, why only annually?

I don’t seek it out and don’t prep it but I think it has to do to it being more readily available around XMas time. It’s not like lobster where I never have enough — I consider it a delicacy, to be seldom enjoyed.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Then you have their stupid commercials with an Aussie speaking. I have eaten once or twice there.

It was a big thing for a while, if it still is, no idea.:dunno:

I may be small and petty,but not a fan of the accent:pullhair: They are an English first speaking nation, as are many, but some that are, speak poorly imo. Bostonian's as well leave a lot to be desired, some anyways.
At a marina on the Cape way back, this smoking hot one was getting super friendly and suggestive, but whenever she opened her mouth, so off-putting. Them and Aussies should realize that there are R's in the English alphabet:rant: It's funny? odd? that the English the Scandinavians and others nations near by speak an English that is enunciated and easy to understand more so than many English first nations.:amazed:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don’t seek it out and don’t prep it but I think it has to do to it being more readily available around XMas time. It’s not like lobster where I never have enough — I consider it a delicacy, to be seldom enjoyed.

Got it! I have no idea about what type eals in question, but was a time in Montreal they were a few Dutch supermarkets and they had them frozen and vacuum packed so it was an easy snack/meal as they are smoked,needed to be thawed and warmed up or cold and just strip the meat off the skin. These are thin little ones that are farmed from the NL and readily available.

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-5-13_12-18-15.png

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
images

They may be cute and cuddly, but don't forget delicious too!:nod:

Picked up a couple after checking out some horses and they have fresh, as in very fresh and lively or frozen, prefer frozen:rolleyes:

Cajun-ed the crap out of them and etouffe'd them:thumbu:

Reactions: groovejuice

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The other day we were at my friends greenhouse and toiling with some buds;) and my captain friend came by with a box of my favorite crustaceans:thumbu::thumbu:

595e39eed1fd2d8bb0c85cdc51564eb1.gif

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hanley’s Nashville Hot Chicken recently opened three locations in the Montreal area (they have 5 other restaurants in Ontario and 1 in Gatineau).

I haven't been to Tennessee so can't really compare but it's pretty good spicy chicken. I like it cluckin' hot. I tried a tender in stupid hot and while I could take it, it was a bit too much to be really enjoyable. Haven't tried the stupid hot in a sandwich though which would probably be better.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Picked up my order of dry roasted salted cashews and sometimes the batch is better than other batches and this time it's insane! perfectly roasted and salted:vhappy: Should come with a warning label imo:nod:

upload_2021-6-1_15-39-9.png

Cashews and Heineken are a match made in heaven! Think I could live on this combination alone:laugh:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hanley’s Nashville Hot Chicken recently opened three locations in the Montreal area (they have 5 other restaurants in Ontario and 1 in Gatineau).

I haven't been to Tennessee so can't really compare but it's pretty good spicy chicken. I like it cluckin' hot. I tried a tender in stupid hot and while I could take it, it was a bit too much to be really enjoyable. Haven't tried the stupid hot in a sandwich though which would probably be better.

Tennessee was great the first time there, felt like I was in Hawaii with getting lei's left and right;)

upload_2021-6-1_15-47-43.jpeg

Food was unmemorable back then and this menu is probably far from authentic,doesn't mean it's not good though,let us know. Not sure any food from the States can surpass Louisiana imo.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Tennessee was great the first time there, felt like I was in Hawaii with getting lei's left and right;)

View attachment 441876

Food was unmemorable back then and this menu is probably far from authentic,doesn't mean it's not good though,let us know. Not sure any food from the States can surpass Louisiana imo.

I already did let you know how it tasted in the post you quoted. :laugh: I just never went to Tennessee so I can't compare to the real deal. The menu does seem to be pretty consistent with what is served in the US. I mean, it's chicken, coleslaw, mac'n'cheese...

Did you get hot chicken while there?

Also, no idea why you associate Tennessee with Hawaii. :laugh:

US/Canada cuisine is not really that great. I'm more of a Korean/Japanese/Filipino/Hawaiian(yes I know, technically Hawaii is US, but the cooking style is way more Asian than American).

But seafood remains seafood and Lousiana has a bunch of it so that's good.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I already did let you know how it tasted in the post you quoted. :laugh: I just never went to Tennessee so I can't compare to the real deal. The menu does seem to be pretty consistent with what is served in the US. I mean, it's chicken, coleslaw, mac'n'cheese...

Did you get hot chicken while there?

Also, no idea why you associate Tennessee with Hawaii. :laugh:

US/Canada cuisine is not really that great. I'm more of a Korean/Japanese/Filipino/Hawaiian(yes I know, technically Hawaii is US, but the cooking style is way more Asian than American).

But seafood remains seafood and Lousiana has a bunch of it so that's good.

You said you haven't tried everything and those items were not that common way back aside from fried chicken and mac,but more grits and greens and cornbread. Sure I had hot chicken,but unmemorable as was most of the food in the States back then actually.

I'm not surprised.

You're right about that, food elsewhere is much better and the native food in Hawaii is not that good either aside from the influences from Japan. Same can be said for most of the food from the South Pacific islands if keeping with traditional food and methods.

Not all seafood is the same,in Louisiana the combination of Cajun and Creole cuisine elevates it over the mundane routine seafood imo, if one likes flavor and spiciness.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You said you haven't tried everything and those items were not that common way back aside from fried chicken and mac,but more grits and greens and cornbread. Sure I had hot chicken,but unmemorable as was most of the food in the States back then actually.

I'm not surprised.

You're right about that, food elsewhere is much better and the native food in Hawaii is not that good either aside from the influences from Japan. Same can be said for most of the food from the South Pacific islands if keeping with traditional food and methods.

Not all seafood is the same,in Louisiana the combination of Cajun and Creole cuisine elevates it over the mundane routine seafood imo, if one likes flavor and spiciness.

I was talking about the spices level more than the items.

I had everything but the thigh combo and the waffle combo, but it's basically the same spices and it's chicken.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was talking about the spices level more than the items.

I had everything but the thigh combo and the waffle combo, but it's basically the same spices and it's chicken.

Ya it looks like a limited menu,thought you could handle hot and spicy? how hot could it be? Can you handle authentic vindaloo?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Ya it looks like a limited menu,thought you could handle hot and spicy? how hot could it be? Can you handle authentic vindaloo?

The vindaloo I have had is less than the "stupid hot". It's also very different because it's a dry rub instead of wet.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The vindaloo I have had is less than the "stupid hot". It's also very different because it's a dry rub instead of wet.

You sure it was vindaloo? I've had chicken, lamb and beef,ironic, vindaloo and it was always looking similar to this. Never had anything hotter from a restaurant,in fact a few vindaloos came with a warning from the Indian staff and mentioned never has a non Indian managed to eat it.

images

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You sure it was vindaloo? I've had chicken, lamb and beef,ironic, vindaloo and it was always looking similar to this. Never had anything hotter from a restaurant,in fact a few vindaloos came with a warning from the Indian staff and mentioned never has a non Indian managed to eat it.

images

Well it's called vindaloo and it comes from Indian restaurants. I assume some are spicier than others.

EDIT: To clarify, I was saying the hot chicken had a dry rub, not the vindaloo.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well it's called vindaloo and it comes from Indian restaurants. I assume some are spicier than others.

EDIT: To clarify, I was saying the hot chicken had a dry rub, not the vindaloo.

I can certainly attest to that! some are insanely hot and others not so much but always extremely flavorful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad