OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Is there that much of a difference between the smoked meat joints? have had some wherever and don't really notice much difference.:dunno:
I'm not a big fan of smoked meat and I prefer it cold. I've had it in several joints in Montreal, and they do taste pretty much the same. Some are greasier tho and you can tell when it's served hot. I put the Lester's link cause they're friends of my sister's and her husband and they serve good food.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not a big fan of smoked meat and I prefer it cold. I've had it in several joints in Montreal, and they do taste pretty much the same. Some are greasier tho and you can tell when it's served hot. I put the Lester's link cause they're friends of my sister's and her husband and they serve good food.

I can handle it once every few years, certainly not a huge fan of it. Lester's is from Canada? Hebrew?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Very similar to what I get from the NL it seems.

View attachment 427652View attachment 427653

I'll whip up some honey mustard for salad dressing or chicken tender dips,but the mustard is store bought Dijon.Some things are just not worth the time and money,but fun at times

That pic to the right is the Swedish mustard I was talking about. It's actually pretty good on the Christmas ham.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That pic to the right is the Swedish mustard I was talking about. It's actually pretty good on the Christmas ham.

It sounded like it so I found pics that were similar. And if't it's anything like the Dutch mustard I get, it's great. Usually we use that mustard on croquet's but works well with any deli sandwich imo.

upload_2021-4-29_15-54-4.jpeg

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's not really the same type smoking process and method I believe, I much prefer what type of meat and cuts you mention. Smoked eel, Gerookte Paling:thumbu::thumbu:

View attachment 427713

I was so happy when I found smoked eel at the German deli Edelweiss in Portland. I love eel. We used to fish eel, you had to be out when it was still dark or they would bend the hooks and slip away. They once put an eel in a well to keep bugs away, that was in 1859. She was still alive almost 150 years late.. Her eyes had become very big. I had a friend who worked for the county and they used to get a lot of eels stuck in an opening with a screen going to turbine for electricity. I told him to bring a couple because I wasn't sure it was true. One day I came home and there was a black large garbage bag hanging on the door knob. I felt it and felt this large eel moving about. There were 2 large eels and I put them in the bathtub while I tried to figure out how I would kill them. I put a large nail through the head and into a wooden chopping board, cut of the skin and use a plier to put it off. That thing still moved around with half the throat cut and no skin. That was a bit unnerving. Anyway, I fried it and it was great, the other I gave to my mom. She ate everything, like a big dog!

Smoked eel is called rökt ål.

image.jpg

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was so happy when I found smoked eel at the German deli Edelweiss in Portland. I love eel. We used to fish eel, you had to be out when it was still dark or they would bend the hooks and slip away. They once put an eel in a well to keep bugs away, that was in 1859. She was still alive almost 150 years late.. Her eyes had become very big. I had a friend who worked for the county and they used to get a lot of eels stuck in an opening with a screen going to turbine for electricity. I told him to bring a couple because I wasn't sure it was true. One day I came home and there was a black large garbage bag hanging on the door knob. I felt it and felt this large eel moving about. There were 2 large eels and I put them in the bathtub while I tried to figure out how I would kill them. I put a large nail through the head and into a wooden chopping board, cut of the skin and use a plier to put it off. That thing still moved around with half the throat cut and no skin. That was a bit unnerving. Anyway, I fried it and it was great, the other I gave to my mom. She ate everything, like a big dog!

Smoked eel is called rökt ål.

image.jpg

Ya those eels can live along time out of water.We get them vacuum packed and they are gutted skin on and just put the blade of the knife behind the head and pull and the meat comes right off in one shot.
We use only small thin eels, not large at all,can easily eat 5 or 6 no problem. Use the same type eel when we make sushi, a little goes a long way with sushi:nod:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I helped a friend of mine set-up a commercial smoke house on Vancouver Island. Big leaf maple and alder smoked salmon. So easy to eat till you can't stand to look at it. We experimented with smoked prawns. Had them on the counter as samples, and people went nuts over them. Also made Indian candy, salmon jerky.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Ya those eels can live along time out of water.We get them vacuum packed and they are gutted skin on and just put the blade of the knife behind the head and pull and the meat comes right off in one shot.
We use only small thin eels, not large at all,can easily eat 5 or 6 no problem. Use the same type eel when we make sushi, a little goes a long way with sushi:nod:

Those eels were the size of my arm at the wrist.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I helped a friend of mine set-up a commercial smoke house on Vancouver Island. Big leaf maple and alder smoked salmon. So easy to eat till you can't stand to look at it. We experimented with smoked prawns. Had them on the counter as samples, and people went nuts over them. Also made Indian candy, salmon jerky.

You still smoke? Vancouver island looks great btw. Salmon jerk is candy? fun treat for the kids! not.:nod:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You still smoke? Vancouver island looks great btw. Salmon jerk is candy? fun treat for the kids! not.:nod:
I never did any of the actual smoking, just helped set it up, but it's not very hard, if you have a smoker or BBQ. Taste depending on the brine you use, and for how long. Many recipes kept secret.
Indian Candy - BC Fishn

Vancouver Island is the best place in Canada, IMO.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I never did any of the actual smoking, just helped set it up, but it's not very hard, if you have a smoker or BBQ. Taste depending on the brine you use, and for how long. Many recipes kept secret.
Indian Candy - BC Fishn

Vancouver Island is the best place in Canada, IMO.

I've done smoking, it's fine.,time consuming though.

Got some friends that relocated to the Island and they love it! haven't made my way out there yet, maybe one day.

Wonder if that Indian candy is responsible for coining the phrase '' trick or treat''?
The kids being asked if they want a candy treat and get tricked by a salmon snack:huh::laugh:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I bought 3 new thermoses, One was a Contigo, I have several of them and then I read a review about thermoses and a clear winner was Zojirushi. I bought 2 sizes and they are amazing. I need cold drinks when I get thirsty. I filled one of them with ice and the some guava nectar and seltzer water. I had it next to me over night, then the whole day until 5 PM and there was still ice! No way the Contigo can do that.

71io6VgOzKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I stayed in a downtown high rise for a year. Was fun.

Me and my ex had afternoon tea English style with some small sandwiches in Victoria,it was a disappointing. It was OK but we got tea bags! That reminds me of a story I read many moons ago. There was a group of visiting Soviet politicians in Poland. The Polish translator noted when they served tea that the Russians looked a bit puzzled, apparently Russians use loose tea. The Polish translator quickly put the bag in his mouth and started sipping hot water while the little paper hanging from his mouth, the Russians did the same and 7 people sat there with tea bags in their mouths.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Me and my ex had afternoon tea English style with some small sandwiches in Victoria,it was a disappointing. It was OK but we got tea bags! That reminds me of a story I read many moons ago. There was a group of visiting Soviet politicians in Poland. The Polish translator noted when they served tea that the Russians looked a bit puzzled, apparently Russians use loose tea. The Polish translator quickly put the bag in his mouth and started sipping hot water while the little paper hanging from his mouth, the Russians did the same and 7 people sat there with tea bags in their mouths.

True story?

The Japanese use loose tea as well but it wan't long before I got the mrs interested in tea bagging it:thumbu:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I bought 3 new thermoses, One was a Contigo, I have several of them and then I read a review about thermoses and a clear winner was Zojirushi. I bought 2 sizes and they are amazing. I need cold drinks when I get thirsty. I filled one of them with ice and the some guava nectar and seltzer water. I had it next to me over night, then the whole day until 5 PM and there was still ice! No way the Contigo can do that.

71io6VgOzKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sometimes I use the tv monitor when on the net and saw this on the big screen, what a missile!:eek:

All worked out good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad