Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So Chekhovich, who was chosen 212th in 2017, will be on San Jose's opening night lineup having played 5 games in the AHL last year?

I think I see where this is going.
We'll know in a month and one of us will be able to claim victory.
My belief is that San Jose's will be one of the top 10 oldest opening night lineups.

The fact that you are holding Chekhovich’s AHL tenure against him shows how little you know about the situation. Chekhovich has played in every single AHL game - regular season and playoffs - that he has been eligible to play in since he was drafted, and he has scored 18 points in those 19 games.

I’m quite confident that it the team doesn’t make an external acquisition, at least one of Chmelevski or Chekhovich will be in the lineup for opening night.

I also don’t think that the 10th oldest team in a league of 31 should be considered one of the oldest if that’s where they end up ranking.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
no, Dubas turned around and signed Kapanen and Johnsson with the money. Then traded Zaitsev for a better player with the same cap hit for 1 season instead of 5
Ceci is NOT a better player than Zaitsev. You're only saying that because he's on the Leafs now.

And he didn't need to be here for any seasons at all. I'm sure Dubas could have flipped him or walked away after arbitration

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Also, it’s really not hard to feel for the Leafs or Marleau.

Everyone knew the contract was a clear overpayment (in AAV and term), but the Leafs signed him anyways. By year two it was pretty bad, to the point they had to pay up a future first round pick to ship him off.

And how can you feel bad for Marleau? He left San Jose because a team was clearly overpaying him, which is fine. But you can’t go running back to the old team after the new team doesn’t want you anymore and expect them to hand a roster spot over to you. SJ is making a Cup run this year. They’re not the Leafs, and they have no room for you.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
As a moderator: no comments in this thread were deleted prior to your post.
Yeah, my bad. The original post was edited after the comments that it was in response to were made. That is why I didn't see the posts I remembered reading before it, because they were actually after the post...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina should use that first to pick to choose the highest rated goalie.
Mrazek and Reimer don't instill much confidence and without McElhinney's 20 wins making it back to the playoffs could prove to be very difficult?

Making the playoffs out of the metro/east is going to be difficult regardless . Boston, TB, Tor, Wsh are pretty much locks and probably Pit as well. That leaves 3 spots for Everyone else to fight for. Car, NYI, and CLB all made it last year, but Fla, NJD, and NYR will all be much improved. Philly just needs solid goaltending. Some other teams could surprise as well.

If Mrazek/Reimer/nedeljkovic can’t perform at least at an average level, the Canes likely won’t make it. I fully recognize that the Canes aren’t a shoe in for the playoffs and goaltending will be the key reason for making or missing.

That said, any goalie they draft next year likely won’t be NHL ready for 3+ years. They drafted Kochetkov at #36 last year and he or Nedeljkovic are probably the best bets from within, but goalies are hard to predict.

With two 1sts (tor and car), likely two 2nds (NYR and Car) and two 3rds (Buf and Car), I could see them picking another goalie with one of those 1st or 2nd round picks.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Projected lineup:

Meier (22) - Couture (30) - Labanc (23)
Kane (28) - Hertl (25) - Gambrell (23)
Sorensen (27) - Thornton (40) - Chmelevski (20)
Radil (29) - Goodrow (26) - M. Karlsson (29)
Brodzinski (26)

Vlasic (32) - Karlsson (29)
Simek (26) - Burns (34)
Dillon (28) - Heed (28)
Prout (29)

Jones (29)
Dell (30)

2019-2020 Sharks average age: 27.94
NHL Average age in 2018-2019: 27.9
If you're counting to the second decimal point, you should really use complete ages of players. Like how no-one is 26, they are actually 26.75 of 26.42.

I bet you can add approx. .5 to your calculated average. And that would make the Sharks "one of the oldest" already

Reactions: Beville

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If you're counting to the second decimal point, you should really use complete ages of players. Like how no-one is 26, they are actually 26.75 of 26.42.

I bet you can add approx. .5 to your calculated average. And that would make the Sharks "one of the oldest" already

That’s not how Hockey Reference calculates things, though, so you’d be comparing apples to oranges at that point.

Although to be fair, they use age on February 1st, so 7ish players will age by 1, and therefore my comparison was not perfect apples to apples either. But either way, they don’t appear to be significantly older than the average team.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Canes can't sign him for a full year after a buyout.
I think they can. I can't find such a prohibition in the CBA, and CapFriendly FAQ says this rule concerned the 2013/14 compliance buyouts but not the regular variety ones.

Besides, there's no reason to stop someone if they are stupid enough to buy someone out and then hire him back and pay some more in money and cap space.

Before an SPC gets terminated in a buyout, the player has to go through unconditional waivers, and after that he's immediately an UFA. If no other team snatches his SPC from the waivers or offers to pay him more on UFA than the team re-signing him, there's not much demand for his services around the league.

If there is some mad scenario where a team might actually benefit from a buyout/rehire, then the League could throw the book in form of 26.3 circumvention at them.

Reactions: Stubu

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So Chekhovich, who was chosen 212th in 2017, will be on San Jose's opening night lineup having played 5 games in the AHL last year?

I think I see where this is going.
We'll know in a month and one of us will be able to claim victory.
My belief is that San Jose's will be one of the top 10 oldest opening night lineups.

Checkhovich has 18Pts in 19 career AHL games (includes playoffs)

His offense is NHL ready

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think they can. I can't find such a prohibition in the CBA, and CapFriendly FAQ says this rule concerned the 2013/14 compliance buyouts but not the regular variety ones.

Besides, there's no reason to stop someone if they are stupid enough to buy someone out and then hire him back and pay some more in money and cap space.

Before an SPC gets terminated in a buyout, the player has to go through unconditional waivers, and after that he's immediately an UFA. If no other team snatches his SPC from the waivers or offers to pay him more on UFA than the team re-signing him, there's not much demand for his services around the league.

If there is some mad scenario where a team might actually benefit from a buyout/rehire, then the League could throw the book in form of 26.3 circumvention at them.
So is this incorrect:

Can a bought out Player be re-signed | Puckpedia

And this:
https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...nvestigates-brooks-orpiks-trade-buyout-and-re

???

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
His career seems to end on a pretty sour note. Hopefully will prevent any hype about him being a HHOFer when he's retired.

Reactions: Beville

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If he opened up to other teams at the start of the summer, the Leafs may not have lost that first round pick.
giphy.gif

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Orpik was about WSH trading Orpik to COL for COL to buy his contract out and take the cap hit for it so WSH could sign him again but with lesser cap hit. That's a very different case.

And I do think that the sourceless statement by Puckpedia is wrong. I tried looking it in the CBA, but there is absolutely nothing about that a team couldn't re-sign a player after he has become an UFA through the buyout. The team is taking the cap hit for the buyout, and the player needs to go through waivers before the buyout.

I think PP may have mixed it up with a retained trade, where the club trading a player away in retained salary action can't reacquire him for one year (or the other way around). The specific expection to this is if the SPC in question gets terminated (=bought out) in between, in which case they are allowed to do it.

edit: I only now read the Orpik thing. I'm not sure the article is right about the prohibition of re-signing a terminated player. The actual issue in the case was the suspected cap circumvention by sending the horrible contract to another team's cap. In this case Marleau's horrible contract (or 2/3 of it) is on Canes' cap.

I think the implication with buyouts is that horrible contracts shouldn't exist, and when one gets terminated by a team so that it doesn't tarnish the league anymore as a public service to everyone, the team in question isn't held responsible of the full cap. In this case Canes would carry the 2/3 of previous SPC's cap hit plus the new cap hit the new SPC would bring.

Like it was with Orpik, Marleau was available on waivers and as a free agent, but there are no takers. It would be silly to forbid Canes from taking him, if they so wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Good for the Sharks, Marleau is complete garbage in any role outside of the 4th line.

But for some reason he was either glued to Matthews or Kadri all of last year...

Reactions: 6ix and Slyfox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad