Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I feel like how he left the Sharks for more money or whathaveyou rubbed the GM/Coach the wrong way and maybe it's a matter of face that Marleau isn't allowed back. Purely my opinion. He wanted to run off to Toronto and not stay loyal like Jumbo did, and now he's running back to SJ? Yeah, I'd tell him no, too.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If I remember the rumor, I believe Blake was trying to pawn off Carter in the deal with the Leafs. Since that didn't work, he then cheaply signed Mario Kempe and Martin Frk. Right now the Kings have 25 forwards under contract that will play in North America this year. There's another couple signed to AHL contracts, including Brett Sutter, who will captain the Reign.

They already have a ton of veteran forwards who know they will be playing meaningless games all year long. I can't imagine Marleau wants to join that fun for some league minimum contract, because the Kings clearly don't want to spend any more money than they're already on the hook for. Plus there just isn't any real room on the team. They have 4 centers they can throw out there. They have 4-5 LWers they can throw out there.

My guess would be the Kings are no longer in the Marleau market, if they were ever seriously in it anyway. If they were trying to trade Carter for Marleau, that would've made such little sense for the Leafs, that it sounds like Blake was trying to see how desperate the Leafs were to get rid of him, without really wanting him.

I don't know man, a Kovalchuk, Carter, Marleau line would look pretty sweet.... about 10 years ago.

It would be cool to see a senior citizens line rip up the league though

Reactions: hmc1987

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I feel like how he left the Sharks for more money or whathaveyou rubbed the GM/Coach the wrong way and maybe it's a matter of face that Marleau isn't allowed back. Purely my opinion. He wanted to run off to Toronto and not stay loyal like Jumbo did, and now he's running back to SJ? Yeah, I'd tell him no, too.

Yep. It’s reasonable that he moved on from them. So they moved on from him

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
He played with matthews and still put up below average numbers. He does not pass the eye test either. He’s just not good enough.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Supposedly the Sharks let him know that he would not be in their plans all the way back in July. So, he's had going on 2 months to look for a new team since he was told the Sharks weren't an option. Gotta think some team will take a flier on him at some point. He could actually be a positive asset to a team with a lot of young guys, providing locker room leadership and mentoring while playing limited minutes. His capabilities as a mentor are very well illustrated by the obvious regard Matthews and Toronto's other young guys have for him.

My personal suspicion is that he's probably gotten a couple offers along those lines from teams. However, he's waiting and hoping an actual contender sends him an offer so he can chase the cup one last time. I really could see a team like Tampa willing to take him at league minimum to (again) play limited minutes while providing leadership, etc. I guess we'll see.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Well, I guess Tampa could do with some leadership veteran presence to get out of their Playoff rut. But that would probably have to be a Cup winner, not Marleau.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Supposedly the Sharks let him know that he would not be in their plans all the way back in July. So, he's had going on 2 months to look for a new team since he was told the Sharks weren't an option. Gotta think some team will take a flier on him at some point. He could actually be a positive asset to a team with a lot of young guys, providing locker room leadership and mentoring while playing limited minutes. His capabilities as a mentor are very well illustrated by the obvious regard Matthews and Toronto's other young guys have for him.

My personal suspicion is that he's probably gotten a couple offers along those lines from teams. However, he's waiting and hoping an actual contender sends him an offer so he can chase the cup one last time. I really could see a team like Tampa willing to take him at league minimum to (again) play limited minutes while providing leadership, etc. I guess we'll see.

I feel like his iron man streak is more important to him than actually winning. If he truly wants to play for a contender, he has to realize that he won't be playing 82 games anymore. You think he is an every day player for TB? I don't think so.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Well, I guess Tampa could do with some leadership veteran presence to get out of their Playoff rut. But that would probably have to be a Cup winner, not Marleau.
lol name a cup winner available that provides as much "veteran presence" as Marleau?? I'm sorry but that's a naive take....just because someone has won a cup doesn't mean they will provide more in that facet than Patty.
He had one playoffs where he was the 2nd most dominant player (after Iginla in 04), he's been to the finals, he is the 4th active leader in playoff points after Jumbo and the Pens duo.

If not San Jose I would still love to see him win, would like to see him on TBL or somebody like Dallas and reunite with Pavs. I personally would have loved him back but understand why management didn't

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Then there's probably not much chance hes going to play in the league next year. Think the Sharks would pass on him if he was willing to play for league minimum?

Zero chance that happens

Yes the Sharks could pass on him if he's willing to play for league minimum. There's no evidence to support that there's no chance that happens. Of course it can happen.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I'm pretty sure that Marleau would have accepted league minimum if he could play for the Sharks. In fact there's actually a small risk that no team wants him for league minimum. I think he's worth that and more, but GM's tend to look several years ahead, so Marleau is really only interesting for contenders or maybe as a mentor. Marleau is not a high profile scorer anymore, but he could certainly help pitch in for a cheap price. The Sharks needs a RW first and foremost, so he's not really a good fit. I don't think their young players are ready to step up yet, so signing Marleau for a year would have been fine, and made them more competitive, but maybe Doug figured that he didn't want to give him 2 years, or couldn't see himself signing for 1 year and then extending him further, so he figured that it would be better for Marleau to go somewhere else and end his career with a single team that would be more open to giving him several years. Of course, he needs 2 more years to break Gordie Howe's record.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm pretty sure that Marleau would have accepted league minimum if he could play for the Sharks. In fact there's actually a small risk that no team wants him for league minimum. I think he's worth that and more, but GM's tend to look several years ahead, so Marleau is really only interesting for contenders or maybe as a mentor. Marleau is not a high profile scorer anymore, but he could certainly help pitch in for a cheap price. The Sharks needs a RW first and foremost, so he's not really a good fit. I don't think their young players are ready to step up yet, so signing Marleau for a year would have been fine, and made them more competitive, but maybe Doug figured that he didn't want to give him 2 years, or couldn't see himself signing for 1 year and then extending him further, so he figured that it would be better for Marleau to go somewhere else and end his career with a single team that would be more open to giving him several years. Of course, he needs 2 more years to break Gordie Howe's record.

The Sharks aren't signing him based on position need. If that were the case, they could sign him and move Meier to RW if they wanted to. They're not signing him because they feel they have enough young players worthy of an opportunity between Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Gambrell, and potentially others.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
The Sharks aren't signing him based on position need. If that were the case, they could sign him and move Meier to RW if they wanted to. They're not signing him because they feel they have enough young players worthy of an opportunity between Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Gambrell, and potentially others.

Yup. DW said he made commitments to the young kids. I don’t think there’s any bad blood between the two camps at all. We need to get younger, faster, grittier. We got enough vet leadership.

Patty will be in teal one last time when he retires.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Yup. DW said he made commitments to the young kids. I don’t think there’s any bad blood between the two camps at all. We need to get younger, faster, grittier. We got enough vet leadership.

Patty will be in teal one last time when he retires.

And to be honest a younger player will offer Sharks more at this point. Between Jumbo, Burns, Karlsson, etc...the team needs grit, hustle, energy, and clutch play. And those things will likely be found in the eager to prove youth than a faded, semi-retired forward

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So Chekhovich, who was chosen 212th in 2017, will be on San Jose's opening night lineup having played 5 games in the AHL last year?

I think I see where this is going.
We'll know in a month and one of us will be able to claim victory.
My belief is that San Jose's will be one of the top 10 oldest opening night lineups.

It was 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad