Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Surprised he doesn't want to play for SJ for league-min. They're not stupid to overpay him and they're also not any ordinary contender either. It's a team he basically played his entire career on.

Maybe he feels as a 40 year old (week and a half) he's worth about $4M per year.

I believe he would sign for minimum dollars but Sharks don't want him even for free.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You mean costing Carolina 6.25m in cap space and 416k in real dollars in exchange for a 1st round pick?
He's speaking in his Toronto fan quality and thanking him for waiving the NMC.

And Marleau cost about $3.8M in real money: the $3M signing bonus in full plus 2/3 of the $1.25M salary, the latter divided for two years.

Apparently them first picks are kind of expensive.

Reactions: Stubu

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings seem to make the most sense to me. They expressed interest before and there's a lot of people there that are familiar with what he brings.

If I remember the rumor, I believe Blake was trying to pawn off Carter in the deal with the Leafs. Since that didn't work, he then cheaply signed Mario Kempe and Martin Frk. Right now the Kings have 25 forwards under contract that will play in North America this year. There's another couple signed to AHL contracts, including Brett Sutter, who will captain the Reign.

They already have a ton of veteran forwards who know they will be playing meaningless games all year long. I can't imagine Marleau wants to join that fun for some league minimum contract, because the Kings clearly don't want to spend any more money than they're already on the hook for. Plus there just isn't any real room on the team. They have 4 centers they can throw out there. They have 4-5 LWers they can throw out there.

My guess would be the Kings are no longer in the Marleau market, if they were ever seriously in it anyway. If they were trying to trade Carter for Marleau, that would've made such little sense for the Leafs, that it sounds like Blake was trying to see how desperate the Leafs were to get rid of him, without really wanting him.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If I'm Marleau here's what I'm doing - sign with a rebuilding team, with the promise of a deadline deal. The rebuilding team gets an excellent mentor for its young players, and Marleau gets to have a clearer picture of who the real contenders are at the deadline. Plus, the rebuilding team is most likely to have the money to pay him.

Reactions: Hivemind

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If I'm Marleau here's what I'm doing - sign with a rebuilding team, with the promise of a deadline deal. The rebuilding team gets an excellent mentor for its young players, and Marleau gets to have a clearer picture of who the real contenders are at the deadline. Plus, the rebuilding team is most likely to have the money to pay him.

Or.........since he's already gotten "paid" for this year.........he could try to sign on cheap with a serious Cup contender that also needs a mentor and play all season with great players and maybe win a cup before he retires? That could be fun for him too.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Or.........since he's already gotten "paid" for this year.........he could try to sign on cheap with a serious Cup contender that also needs a mentor and play all season with great players and maybe win a cup before he retires? That could be fun for him too.
Except he tried to do that and there hasn't been a fit. And most serious cup contenders in September have their teams shorn up. That too.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Except he tried to do that and there hasn't been a fit. And most serious cup contenders in September have their teams shorn up. That too.

No, he's never tried to sign for league minimum on a serious contender. That would be a new thing.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Leave the west coast (unless its Vegas) and go to the Central or try to get a league min deal with a legit cup contender like Tampa. Might as well shoot for the stars as you close out your career.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Leave the west coast (unless its Vegas) and go to the Central or try to get a league min deal with a legit cup contender like Tampa. Might as well shoot for the stars as you close out your career.

He will probably take the next closest team that is interested in his services and if they're bad teams, he'll get dealt at the deadline to a contender. And it could end up being the Sharks by then so we'll see.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau needs to check that ego.

Be less picky where you play and probably accept a league minimum to keep playing. Otherwise retire

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
If he ends up playing with an also-ran team (ex. Anaheim), I could see him going to SJ at the deadline for a 5th or something.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If he ends up playing with an also-ran team (ex. Anaheim), I could see him going to SJ at the deadline for a 5th or something.
Why would San Jose trade a pick for him when they could just sign him now for free?

It's pretty obvious that San Jose doesn't want him.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Why would San Jose trade a pick for him when they could just sign him now for free?

It's pretty obvious that San Jose doesn't want him.

Injuries, depth for the playoffs. Contenders usually will make deals for veteran depth at the TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad