Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
CBA 50.9(i) on the accounting on buy-outs specifically says this:

"Further, a Player who has been bought out under the Compliance Buy-Out provision of this Agreement shall be prohibited from rejoining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment or otherwise) for the 2013-14 League Year (if that Player was bought out in 2013) or for the 2014-15 League Year (if that Player was bought out in 2014)."

If they wanted to prohibit re-signing players bought out on ordinary buy-out, they would say it here. But they don't. This kind of prohibition concerns the 2013/14 compliance buyouts only.

There's no mention of such thing even in CBA 11.10 on "No renegotiation". Assumably the idea is that once an SPC gets terminated, that SPC doesn't concern anyone anymore (except with the regular cap consequences on the team).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Orpik's case was allowed technically because the Caps didn't buy him out, the Avs did (though as a favour).

Marleau wouldn't be allowed to sign in this scenario I believe.
Eh, that was my point.

But how do you explain Marleau being allowed to be re-signed by the Hurricanes?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The fact that you are holding Chekhovich’s AHL tenure against him shows how little you know about the situation. Chekhovich has played in every single AHL game - regular season and playoffs - that he has been eligible to play in since he was drafted, and he has scored 18 points in those 19 games.

I’m quite confident that it the team doesn’t make an external acquisition, at least one of Chmelevski or Chekhovich will be in the lineup for opening night.

I also don’t think that the 10th oldest team in a league of 31 should be considered one of the oldest if that’s where they end up ranking.

I'm not so sure on the bolded. Is it possible? Sure, but I don't think either are good enough yet. I think we'll see an older prospect in there if any, and players who are more responsible and can earn the trust of DeBoer, he already shortens the bench enough as is. Kellman or True would be my picks pre-camp and I actually also think a big surprise could be Gallant. I think he could be a DeBoer mainstay and be able to play a 4th line role.

I think the picture will start to be less foggy after this next week here, but we'll see huge camp battles in the actual camp later in the month.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was the number one star. In the world! Ya hear me?? In 2019 I called Doug Wilson and said this is Patty Marleau, I need a job. And the bastard hung up on me.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I'm not so sure on the bolded. Is it possible? Sure, but I don't think either are good enough yet. I think we'll see an older prospect in there if any, and players who are more responsible and can earn the trust of DeBoer, he already shortens the bench enough as is. Kellman or True would be my picks pre-camp and I actually also think a big surprise could be Gallant. I think he could be a DeBoer mainstay and be able to play a 4th line role.

I think the picture will start to be less foggy after this next week here, but we'll see huge camp battles in the actual camp later in the month.
In an offensive role is impossible for Chekhovich to show he is more ready than he already has. In a preseason game, which is the closest to NHL level he could play before getting a spot on the team, he scored 2 goals and an assist. If it hadn't been for the value of sliding his ELC, and protecting him from expansion draft, I really think he would have gotten a shot last year.

As for Gallant, I agree. He looked exactly like the hard working, physically tough guy, who still has skills to make a play on a fourth line role in the prospects game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There really isn't a 4th line role to be had for prospects on the Sharks at this point.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
In an offensive role is impossible for Chekhovich to show he is more ready than he already has. In a preseason game, which is the closest to NHL level he could play before getting a spot on the team, he scored 2 goals and an assist. If it hadn't been for the value of sliding his ELC, and protecting him from expansion draft, I really think he would have gotten a shot last year.

As for Gallant, I agree. He looked exactly like the hard working, physically tough guy, who still has skills to make a play on a fourth line role in the prospects game.

Goodrow put up 3 point in that game as well on the same line. Early preseason hockey is probably one of the worst barometers of skill. Now I do believe Chekhovich has some offensive skills, but I don't think he's quite ready for primetime. But as I keep saying this rookie camp, and then the main camp will be huge in deciding his fate for this season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
There really isn't a 4th line role to be had for prospects on the Sharks at this point.

I disagree. I think there's very little set in stone with this lineup and a ton up in the air. Gambrell, Kellman, True will all compete. Irregardless this probably isn't the place to discuss it lol.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I disagree. I think there's very little set in stone with this lineup and a ton up in the air. Gambrell, Kellman, True will all compete.

I agree there's little set in stone but when Radil, Goodrow, Karlsson, and Brodzinski are in the fold as they are, the 4th line is pretty much spoken for by those guys. If Gambrell makes the team, it's on the 3rd line.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I agree there's little set in stone but when Radil, Goodrow, Karlsson, and Brodzinski are in the fold as they are, the 4th line is pretty much spoken for by those guys. If Gambrell makes the team, it's on the 3rd line.

Ahh that's where we might be seeing things differently. I think we'll see Radil playing much higher in the lineup.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ahh that's where we might be seeing things differently. I think we'll see Radil playing much higher in the lineup.

There's no way they put Radil in the top six and he's not going to be playing with Jumbo. Radil is a stopgap when he's up in the lineup and his game isn't well-rounded enough to warrant playing higher in the lineup on a regular basis.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
There's no way they put Radil in the top six and he's not going to be playing with Jumbo. Radil is a stopgap when he's up in the lineup and his game isn't well-rounded enough to warrant playing higher in the lineup on a regular basis.

We'll see. He played a lot with the two big sets both in regular season and in the playoffs. I'd be willing to bet he won't be on the 4th line on opening night.

I'll bet 1 months worth of posting. If I lose I won't post for a month. If you lose, you don't post for a month. You want this bet?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We'll see. He played a lot with the two big sets both in regular season and in the playoffs. I'd be willing to bet he won't be on the 4th line on opening night.

I'll bet 1 months worth of posting. If I lose I won't post for a month. If you lose, you don't post for a month.

He played about a dozen games in the top six when injuries hit, had a good stretch of games with a few games of production, and didn't do much beyond that then went back to being in the press box pretty regularly.

I'm not interested in a bet like that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would be somewhat fitting for his career if he just faded into nothing after not getting a job. Not with a bang but with a whimper.

And I say this as a fan of the guy.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
As far as Marleau’s options are concerned as it pertains to places he’d want to land in combination with them being mutually interested, I don’t think Anaheim would be one of them. They just bought out Perry. Attempting a youth movement. The Kings seem to be retooling, but are already one of the oldest teams in the league. Mid - late 30’s vets sprinkled throughout. Arizona’s interest has been pretty public, but it doesn’t appear as though he’s interested. Could be that he was waiting for a final word from the Sharks, which he seems to have now officially. I think Dallas could be an option. Loading up on vets to take a run at it, and could play with Pavelski.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'm not upset. Maybe I sound bitter, but I don't really care what Marleau does. He's not a Shark. He chose to "play for a winner." We don't owe him anything. I'd rather give this spot to kids than Marleau.

I wouldn't be upset if he signed with SJ either though. As long as he accepts a minor role.
That's where I'm at. He owes the team nothing and was well within his right to leave to try to win a cup. Ironically he had a better chance had he stayed in San Jose.

If he wants $1m x 1 then I'll happily have him back but I don't see him the way I see Thornton who has been willing to do whatever he has to to stay in San Jose.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Could be that he was waiting for a final word from the Sharks, which he seems to have now officially.

Apparently, they told him as much back at the end of July. It is anyone's guess at this point what his intentions are. The noise with Arizona was a few weeks back, you would think he would have decided by now if they did have interest.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You guys have Zaitsev for 5 more years, you don't know what you're in for lol.

Your team did the Leafs a huge favour.

It was good that you guys got out of the contract, but tons of Leaf fans are really overrating Ceci. He’s arguably the worst player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad